E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neat trick with signal turns lever!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The signal turns lever has been driving me NUTS since forever on E60. I just found out that if you push the lever below/above the resistance point to keep the blikners running infinitely, you can actually stop it by pushing the lever to the same direction, not the opposite! Just to the resistance point. I've found this on E90 forums somewhere else. This method is much more convenient and logical. No more retarded accidental left/right blinking!

This is NOT mentioned in the manual. Is it just me? Did you know about this? Highly recommended.

-
Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

haha no it's not just you. this is how i stop the blinking as well. actually if you tick it half way before the resistance point, it'll blink 3 times and auto turn off.

michael
acute performance
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

I love the 'blink only three times' feature for lane changes. Didn't know I could cancel by pushing in the same direction though. I'm tempted to go down to the garage and try it out.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Senior Members

Yes, "Blink only 3 times" is a cool feature, but sometimes you need to keep it blinking (e.g at the lights) and it isn't always disabling itself automatically for some reason, so in that case just push the lever to the same direction to the resistance point, just like you use the "blink 3 times" feature. It will stop the blinker.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I love the lever on my E60 so much, that when I drive a car that doesn't have the same type of lever, it feels like I'm driving something so ancient...

anyway, I think this "trick" has been discussed on this forum in 2004 But everything new is re-discovered old, right, T-mac?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kreveta
The signal turns lever has been driving me NUTS since forever on E60. I just found out that if you push the lever below/above the resistance point to keep the blikners running infinitely, you can actually stop it by pushing the lever to the same direction, not the opposite! Just to the resistance point. I've found this on E90 forums somewhere else. This method is much more convenient and logical. No more retarded accidental left/right blinking!

This is NOT mentioned in the manual. Is it just me? Did you know about this? Highly recommended.

-
Good info, I always try to push the level the opposite side and end up signaling the opposite, I will try this out..
Old 11-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

Actually this was something I recall seeing in the owner's manual . . . and yes it does work.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

and you can choose 3 or single blink from the idrive
Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by one4thethumb
Actually this was something I recall seeing in the owner's manual . . . and yes it does work.
I believe this is correct. I think I recall seeing it in the manual as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Didn't know this so tested it today and it works. It will take a little getting used to, but I sense that I really like it and I find this kind of thoughtfulness on a drivers' need just the kind of thing that makes me love my BMW.

Quick Reply: Neat trick with signal turns lever!