E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navlady telling me directions to late

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 07:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Today while driving with the navigation on the lady was very late with giving me directions.
In two occasions she told me to go left or right at the moment I was passing the turn. Especially in the city she is very late in telling me what to do. What I also don't understand is that sometimes she says on the freeway "take the next exit" to go to another freeway. And other times she only says "go right".
Old 08-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I never experienced those problems. She is allways on time...
Old 08-29-2004, 08:06 AM
JDN
Contributors

NAV lady always tells me which way I will be turning next, usually .6 mi away, when possible.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 29 2004, 09:39 AM
I never experienced those problems. She is allways on time...
Maybe she had a hangover or something today.. I'll check if she is always late..
Old 08-29-2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

this has happened to me before...its as simple as that the computer and the satellite just cannot calculate the turns fast enough around city roads sometimes. This happens rarely.....but very possible
Old 08-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

530e60nl

i suspect that the problem is that your lady under-estimated the velocity at which you were undoubtedly travelling.

trouble is in these e60's you just don't know you are doing it. Try re-calibrating your nav system to assume 80kph as an average speed in built up areas.

jonboy
Old 08-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Contributors

Can I do that in the settings????
Old 08-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Unfortunately not.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The only time this happened to me was when I ignored the lady and missed a turn. From there, the system kept recalculating the next best route (either turn a block later, U-turn, etc.) and each time it finished recalculating, it would tell me to turn a few seconds late (just past the intended turn).

I totally understood why this was happening and unless they equip the car with a much faster processor, etc., I don't think it can be avoided. It really only can happen in an area where there are many turns (like a city 'grid' layout) and for me, it wasn't a big deal.

Overall, nav is much improved in the E60 from the one in the E39. That's not to say the E39's was bad, the E60's is just better...
Old 08-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Contributors

I find the E60 nav less good then the one I had on my E46. I never had time delay problems with the old navlady even if I was in the middle of the city or if I missed an intersection.

But in this case I was driving 30 km/h between to traffic lights.. She had time enough to calculate or tell me the correct route. Also the way she tells me compared to my old E46 is much more confusing for me. In my old car I never had to look at the screen to see what she meant. In this car I always have to look at the screen to check distance and what she just told me.. I think this system is smarter. My old car told me to make U-Turns when missing a direction. This one actually calculates another route to my direction. This smart feature makes her a lot slower unfortunately.

I think I also have to get used to the new way of the navlady talking to me. I hope in a few months I get the hang of it with her and feel as sure about her directions as I did in my old car.

Quick Reply: Navlady telling me directions to late