E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 05:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

This happened to me when I first picked up my 535d - I took it on a reasonable drive of about an hour on the freeway and it soon relaised where it was. No need to reboot.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i TI Silver, Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Navigation

I have the exact same problem on my 05 545i and I've taken it to two different dealers in the SF Bay Area (Fremont and Stevens Creek) and both have not yet been able to fix the problem. It is not a random problem as it occurs *daily* (map show me driving dozens of miles off course, going over water, etc...).

There are a couple of TSB's on this problem:
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/BMW/index-issue.html

I suspect both dealers aren't following directions as it hasn't seem to have solved my problem. I'll try the reboot the next time it happens and see if that fixes anything.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

wow, scary stuff... oh well the I-drive is Windows CE based computer.....
Old 01-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='227477
Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='227477' date='Jan 21 2006, 09:41 AM
This really bites 1 day old and already I have problems. There are guys on here that have had no problems since they bought their car. For 69k this should not happened. Now my friends are going to rub it in that I should have bought a Lexus after all. I hoped I would be one of the chosen ones to not have glitches but I guess not.

I hope the dealership can fix it.

GJ545 do you still have this problem?
Rebooting the I drive has not fixed it and driving it for two days has not fixed it. I took out the DVD and it still does it after I put it back in.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by TV550' post='227478
This really bites 1 day old and already I have problems. There are guys on here that have had no problems since they bought their car. For 69k this should not happened. Now my friends are going to rub it in that I should have bought a Lexus after all. I hoped I would be one of the chosen ones to not have glitches but I guess not.

[/quote]

Rebooting the I drive has not fixed it and driving it for two days has not fixed it. I took out the DVD and it still does it after I put it back in.
[/quote]
I had a similar problkem with Nav system on my 2005 Porsche 997S. It would stop showing large portions of the map and have me essentially driving in the wilds. Also I could not eject the Nav DVD. The end result was replacement of the Nav DVD player and the DVD disk. This was a $92,000 car. All auto nav systems are purchased from an outside vendor.

I had a 2004 M-B E-Class that was supposed to be able to have Nav retrofitted, if I bought it at the time my car was delivered at a $500 discount. After 4 months M-B annouonced that they could NOT retrofit the Navi system to any car. They gave all those involved the option of a cash settlement equal to the undiscounted price of the Navi System, a discount coupon worth some $3,500 towards the purchase of any new M-B, or a free replacemnet E-Class identical to the one originally purchased at no charge. They relented and allowed the addition of other options and changes in car specification at customers' expense. I opted for the replacement car exactly as purchased with Navi installed. It did not cost me a penny, including sales tax, DMV fees, etc. The new car warranty started over on delivery of the replacement car. I might still be driving that car now, except a few months after receiving it, the right front lower control arm pivot bolt came out and collapsed the front suspension. That was all for me. No wonder M-B is having trouble selling E-Class cars.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='227520
Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='227477' date='Jan 21 2006, 09:41 AM

[/quote]
I had a similar problkem with Nav system on my 2005 Porsche 997S. It would stop showing large portions of the map and have me essentially driving in the wilds. Also I could not eject the Nav DVD. The end result was replacement of the Nav DVD player and the DVD disk. This was a $92,000 car. All auto nav systems are purchased from an outside vendor.

I had a 2004 M-B E-Class that was supposed to be able to have Nav retrofitted, if I bought it at the time my car was delivered at a $500 discount. After 4 months M-B annouonced that they could NOT retrofit the Navi system to any car. They gave all those involved the option of a cash settlement equal to the undiscounted price of the Navi System, a discount coupon worth some $3,500 towards the purchase of any new M-B, or a free replacemnet E-Class identical to the one originally purchased at no charge. They relented and allowed the addition of other options and changes in car specification at customers' expense. I opted for the replacement car exactly as purchased with Navi installed. It did not cost me a penny, including sales tax, DMV fees, etc. The new car warranty started over on delivery of the replacement car. I might still be driving that car now, except a few months after receiving it, the right front lower control arm pivot bolt came out and collapsed the front suspension. That was all for me. No wonder M-B is having trouble selling E-Class cars.
[/quote]

How do you like your 550 overall and where are you from?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

I am from Southern California. After nearly 1,200 miles I am beginning to get used to the transmission. Overall, I like the car very much. I wish the navigation window was larger, but it seems to work fine. I have yet to really stand on it, so I am glad that I am approaching the end of the break-in period. Coming from a 2005 Porsche 997S coupe with 6-speed manual transmission has made for a bit of a learning curve. I feel much more comfortable in the 550i and have room for my two grandkids, too. The 997S was the best of all the Porsche 911s I have owned, but I guess I am over sports cars.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i TI Silver, Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Navigation

I'm taking my car into the dealership this week to get my Dunlop RF tires replaced under warranty and will have them look at the GPS issue again. The TSB indicates that the HIP module may need replacement and I will insist that this be done given all of the other past reprogramming/resetting efforts have failed. Will let you know if this fixes it.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Members

I have had this problem twice before. The first time I went into the dealer and they said they performed a battery reset (disconnected the battery for an hour). Unfortunately this loses data (radio settings, nav settings etc...) but fixed the problem.

The second time I had this problem, believe it or not, I took my car to a large open parking lot and drove around in a circle 2 or 3 times and after that the GPS re-calibrated. I did this at the recommendation of the BMW technician from the first visit.

Haven't had the problem since. Try it - might be less painful than a dealer battery reset.

-- JM.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by johnmac' post='227673' date='Jan 21 2006, 09:38 PM
I have had this problem twice before. The first time I went into the dealer and they said they performed a battery reset (disconnected the battery for an hour). Unfortunately this loses data (radio settings, nav settings etc...) but fixed the problem.

The second time I had this problem, believe it or not, I took my car to a large open parking lot and drove around in a circle 2 or 3 times and after that the GPS re-calibrated. I did this at the recommendation of the BMW technician from the first visit.

Haven't had the problem since. Try it - might be less painful than a dealer battery reset.

-- JM.
Hey guys my Nav computer fixed itself!!!! These 5 series cars are so good they self heal!!! Yay no trip to the dreaded dealership.

Quick Reply: Navigation problems please help