E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Logic

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

I am completely surprised by the logic used by my nav system. I don't know if mine is faulty or if it is just lousy? I was wanting to test the ability to re-route if I drove past one of the guided turns, and I can not believe how the system responded. I chose my house as my destination (I know how to get there) and went a different route that was suggested. There are two MAIN roads you can take to my house, and nav suggested the first one, so I went past it (if it was suggested, I would have taken it). On multiple times it requested me to U-turn, and I keep traveling to the next main road. I expected it to re-route me, as a U-turn was further away and clearly not the fastest route. Finally I turned on the other main road which was about 2 miles from my house. The road I passed was now about 3.5 miles from my house. The system finally re-routed, but after it did, I was two blocks from my house and it was telling me to turn the wrong way. What gives?!?!
Old 04-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Apr 28 2005, 07:27 PM
I am completely surprised by the logic used by my nav system.? I don't know if mine is faulty or if it is just lousy?? I was wanting to test the ability to re-route if I drove past one of the guided turns, and I can not believe how the system responded. I chose my house as my destination (I know how to get there) and went a different route that was suggested.? There are two MAIN roads you can take to my house, and nav suggested the first one, so I went past it (if it was suggested, I would have taken it). On multiple times it requested me to U-turn, and I keep traveling to the next main road.? I expected it to re-route me, as a U-turn was further away and clearly not the fastest route.? Finally I turned on the other main road which was about 2 miles from my house.? The road I passed was now about 3.5 miles from my house.? The system finally re-routed, but after it did, I was two blocks from my house and it was telling me to turn the wrong way.? What gives?!?!
[snapback]121706[/snapback]
Depending on your settings, the NAV will give you different routes. Did you have fastest route, shortest route or highway route set? At ED delivery we were told that 'fastest route' is usually the best way to go...but I'm not so sure as it seemed to take side roads more than highways.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Apr 28 2005, 08:47 PM
[quote name='derrickj' date='Apr 28 2005, 07:27 PM']I am completely surprised by the logic used by my nav system.? I don't know if mine is faulty or if it is just lousy?? I was wanting to test the ability to re-route if I drove past one of the guided turns, and I can not believe how the system responded. I chose my house as my destination (I know how to get there) and went a different route that was suggested.? There are two MAIN roads you can take to my house, and nav suggested the first one, so I went past it (if it was suggested, I would have taken it). On multiple times it requested me to U-turn, and I keep traveling to the next main road.? I expected it to re-route me, as a U-turn was further away and clearly not the fastest route.? Finally I turned on the other main road which was about 2 miles from my house.? The road I passed was now about 3.5 miles from my house.? The system finally re-routed, but after it did, I was two blocks from my house and it was telling me to turn the wrong way.? What gives?!?!
[snapback]121706[/snapback]
Depending on your settings, the NAV will give you different routes. Did you have fastest route, shortest route or highway route set? At ED delivery we were told that 'fastest route' is usually the best way to go...but I'm not so sure as it seemed to take side roads more than highways.
[snapback]121727[/snapback]
[/quote]
Additionally the direction in which you are travelling or facing also makes a difference. I have just tested its re-routing capabilities with CIP 16.1 and the 2005-2 DVD. It's remarkly accurate and quick to reroute. I had my son keeping an eye on the map while I drove. One reroute called for us to go around a block. Safer and more legal I suppose. He noticed this and we made a U turn instead. re-routed within 5 seconds.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Senior Members

Never had much of a problem. It generally reroutes within about 10 seconds of missing a turn. It will tell you to do a u-turn unless a better way is detectable. Is it always something I would do - no - but it generally is a reasonable way of doing things.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Contributors

Here in Europe I keep it on Highway or Motorway. Sometimes selecting fastest route will have me all over small villages. I would rather take a longer route and avoid the villages.
But, sometimes NAV will go silly and put me through a village and waste my time. Hobi was able to see that a few weekends ago. So it isn't just my car.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Members

Never had that problem also
Old 04-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

So far, I've found the re-routing to be pretty good - I keep it on fastest route and dynamic route - it only occasionally tells me to do a u turn.

Now if we could only add custom points of interest... (Gatso etc)
Old 04-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Well while we are on the subject, here's an improvement that we could use:

Search Information in Alphabetical order. So you want to find Ruths Chris. You type in the city or the zipcode as a destination and then search for restaurants. At this point it would be nice if you could search through just the 'R's instead of every restaurant ranked by distance from god knows where.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

dont worry its not just your ?2000 bmw system that does my ?250 navman does this as well sends you on some weird routes at times and if u miss a turn it always wants u to do a u turn until it can figure some other route out, i guess all nav sytems sought of work the same way.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 29 2005, 02:47 AM
Well while we are on the subject,?? here's an improvement that we could use:

Search Information in Alphabetical order.?? So you want to find Ruths Chris.?? You type in the city or the zipcode as a destination and then search for restaurants.? ? At this point it would be nice if you could search through just the 'R's instead of every restaurant ranked by distance from god knows where.
[snapback]121768[/snapback]
That's one of those things they could easily add with software updates. The data is already on the disc, they just need an interface to it.

My wife's Honda lets you do things like this quite easily. It also lets you see display the address and phone number of the POI. On my car, if I want to see the phone number, I have to select "call" then quickly hang-up and look at my redial list to see the number.

As far as the bizzare routing, yes, it doesn't always make sense but my bet is that there was some option like "most use of highways" set in the route preferences that made it act the way it did...

Quick Reply: Navigation Logic