E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation Headaches

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005 | 09:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Ok this is the first car I have had with an OEM Nav system. My previous 2 cars (01 Passat and 04 Audi A4), I had installed a Pioneer DVD navigation system. I actually installed a full stereo system. They were show cars... Anyways...

The Pioneer Navigation system allowed phone number entry so lets say I am going out to a restaurant about 40 miles away, all I had to do was dial in the phone number and it would come up with the name of the restaurant and would set the route up for me.

I find it very frustrating that the only way for me to look up POI (points of interest) is to go through the information menu and look through dining. Whats worse is its only sorted by distance and not by alphabetical order. You can't even do a search where you enter in the first few letters. I have used my Nav about 5 times now and all 5 times it has failed to locate either restaurants or Ikea of Paramus NJ. What I end up doing is trying my best to set the route with an interesction and it gets me reasonably close to the actual locaiton. But its really just luck.

If you have read this far... thanks. I guess my question is does the 16.2 version address any of these issues?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 05-10-2005 | 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by JonsTintedTails' date='May 10 2005, 10:05 AM
Ok this is the first car I have had with an OEM Nav system.? My previous 2 cars (01 Passat and 04 Audi A4), I had installed a Pioneer DVD navigation system.? I actually installed a full stereo system.? They were show cars...? Anyways...

The Pioneer Navigation system allowed phone number entry so lets say I am going out to a restaurant about 40 miles away, all I had to do was dial in the phone number and it would come up with the name of the restaurant and would set the route up for me.?

I find it very frustrating that the only way for me to look up POI (points of interest) is to go through the information menu and look through dining.? Whats worse is its only sorted by distance and not by alphabetical order.? You can't even do a search where you enter in the first few letters.? I have used my Nav about 5 times now and all 5 times it has failed to locate either restaurants or Ikea of Paramus NJ.? What I end up doing is trying my best to set the route with an interesction and it gets me reasonably close to the actual locaiton.? But its really just luck.?

If you have read this far... thanks.? I guess my question is does the 16.2 version address any of these issues?

Thanks,
Jon
[snapback]126607[/snapback]
The information input of the OEM NAV is truly its weak point. Yes you have a right to be frustrated as at times it is quite worthless because of the way it sorts destinations. AFAIK this has not been improved by CIP16x.

I have noticed an improvement in the information listings with the newer 2005-2 NAV CD.
Old 05-10-2005 | 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Japanese electronics are really superior than everyone else's. They have more companies working competitively against each other, thus fostering innovation. I can name quite a few electronic companies from Japan, but I only know Siemens from Germany.

I never had a car with nav before this one, so It works great at this point. I don't want to touch anything else.
Old 05-10-2005 | 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Unless I missed it the key thing that would help is the ability to search for any of the points of interest by name. Sorting the POI's by distance is kind of useless as 9 times out of 10 you know the name of the place you need to get to - if that is already available I couldn't find it, if not it really should be updated.
Old 05-10-2005 | 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' date='May 10 2005, 12:30 PM
Unless I missed it the key thing that would help is the ability to search for any of the points of interest by name.? Sorting the POI's by distance is kind of useless as 9 times out of 10 you know the name of the place you need to get to - if that is already available I couldn't find it, if not it really should be updated.
[snapback]126651[/snapback]
That feature is not available with the NAV in all the E60s just yet. It was very frustrating not to be able to put in the name of the place where my sister could do a lot more with her Nav in her Lexus RX330. That Navi rocks. But BMW makes up in other ways to make the car well worth it

As far as the Navigation, they are 'TRYING' to improve it but lets see in the coming months
Old 05-10-2005 | 12:18 PM
Contributors

For electronics, go with Lexus. For performance go with BMW
BMW sucks at Electronics.
Old 05-10-2005 | 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by my530i' date='May 10 2005, 03:18 PM
For electronics, go with Lexus. For performance go with BMW
[snapback]126691[/snapback]
I agree, in fact most german cars suck at electronics.. <_<
Old 05-10-2005 | 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

That's too bad because electronics run all of our cars. I hope they are good at the "non consumer" part...engine management systems, steering, brakes, lighting...pretty much everything on the car!!!
Old 05-10-2005 | 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='May 10 2005, 02:11 PM
[quote name='my530i' date='May 10 2005, 03:18 PM']For electronics, go with Lexus. For performance go with BMW
[snapback]126691[/snapback]
I agree, in fact most german cars suck at electronics.. <_<
[snapback]126707[/snapback]
[/quote]
I must differ here. I agree the Navigation implementation in the E60 has much room for improvement but your blanket statement misses some of the pioneering companies in engine management like Bosch, Hella, VDO, Siemens,

Now if you were making that statement about Lucas (British) or Marrelli (Italian) I might agree.
Old 05-10-2005 | 03:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

I'm glad I am not the only one having this trouble. Another example of the frustration this nav gives me is that I was trying to set up a route to go to my friends house in Queens (which is heavily populated) and it had his street but wouldn't allow me to enter in a house number. I had to again use the intersection to get it close.

Someone hook me up with the DVD ISO for the new NAV disk please

Quick Reply: Navigation Headaches