E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation DVD Noise after Car is turned Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

I did a search but didn't come up with any answers. Have any of you guys encountered this? The Navigation DVD slot seems to intermittently turn/spin on even though the car is turned off.

The other day, I had two buddies sitting in the car while I picked up some herb. I turned the car off, locked the car (yes, I left them locked inside ), and I had my keys with me, so comfort access range wasn't an issue. I was probably in the house for a good 5 minutes before I left and started walking back to my car. As we drove off, they told me they heard a spinning noise coming from the DVD slot, similar to what you would hear when a CD/DVD player is trying to read the disc.

I've had no problems with the car, everything is 100% (knock on wood). But I don't know how or why the DVD slot can still be running when the car is turned off. Even the windows and radio turn off after you get out of the car and lock the doors.

Any ideas?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Its normal, I think its because iDrive doesnt just turn off when you lock the car it stays on for a set amount of time before going to sleep.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by owwo' post='558074' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:52 PM
I did a search but didn't come up with any answers. Have any of you guys encountered this? The Navigation DVD slot seems to intermittently turn/spin on even though the car is turned off.

The other day, I had two buddies sitting in the car while I picked up some herb. I turned the car off, locked the car (yes, I left them locked inside ), and I had my keys with me, so comfort access range wasn't an issue. I was probably in the house for a good 5 minutes before I left and started walking back to my car. As we drove off, they told me they heard a spinning noise coming from the DVD slot, similar to what you would hear when a CD/DVD player is trying to read the disc.

I've had no problems with the car, everything is 100% (knock on wood). But I don't know how or why the DVD slot can still be running when the car is turned off. Even the windows and radio turn off after you get out of the car and lock the doors.

Any ideas?
yes this is a known problem.. there was supposed to be be later versions or progman to fix this.. i brought this up to my SA a couple times and even got the latest version of progman and it still does it.. ive come to just accept it for what it is.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by owwo' post='558074' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:52 PM
The other day, I had two buddies sitting in the car while I picked up some herb.
Does this herb have a name or do we just use our imagination?

I've noticed the same thing with the DVD drive. I pay it no mind since I assume its normal.

Is it me or does the car sound like you are sitting next to a network server when the electronics are running?...I can also notice what sounds like a computer fan (or several) hidden somewhere. Once again, no complaints.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 M5 Saphire - All available options 2006 530i Mystic Blue - All available options for 06 2004 Ford Expedition - Boat hauler.

Both my 06 530i and my 08 535i have always done this, but it dont bother me because I dont hang out in the car when it's off. Perhaps that's some great herb and you'all are spinning...not the DVD
Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by pukka' post='558236
Perhaps that's some great herb and you'all are spinning...not the DVD
Lol, unfortunately I don't live in California or the Netherlands or my imagination would be spinning around more often.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

An experience: insterted a different DVD and the TMC (traffic info, don't know if you have this where you drive) signals were not used. THe old data was still used (so the list was outdated) but newly received info was not used for planning. Changed the disk and all was fine.

combined with the knowledge that the nav stays 'on' for about 10-15 minutes after leaving the car (only after that time a stuck DVD can be ejected) it may be that the system is reading some kind of data to decode something.

If you drive the same route back and forth every day, you need not put the DVD in the drive any more. Not sure how it decodes the traffic info then but it did last time I had this situation.

weird thing, this nav system.