E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation Database issues - 07 550

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550 Blk/Blk Sport, HUD, Night Vis, Actv Str, Logic 7 w/ HD & Sat, iPOD, Cold Wthr, Comfrt access, shades, 20x vented seats, rear heat splt fold, K40 Radar 03 525 Kalahari Beige / Tan, Sport, little Dinan stuff

I just picked up an 07 550 that was BMW certified, so as I understand it, they upgraded to the latest revision of Navigation software, HOWEVER, it seems that the database is a little weak. I pump in state, city and street but it doesn't always let me punch in a "house number", even for established businesses in well establiched suburbs of Chicago.

I used a Garmin Nuvi in my 525 for years and never had this issue. It happens quite often and is a little disappointing. I'll be taking it in sooner or later for the problem but just wonder if anyone else has had this happen.

Thanks

GT
Old 06-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by deviandia' post='612629' date='Jun 29 2008, 11:30 PM
I just picked up an 07 550 that was BMW certified, so as I understand it, they upgraded to the latest revision of Navigation software, HOWEVER, it seems that the database is a little weak. I pump in state, city and street but it doesn't always let me punch in a "house number", even for established businesses in well establiched suburbs of Chicago.
Unlikely that the nav sw was upgraded since there is no nav sw per se. If by "BMW certified" you mean CPO, the car's Progman is not upgraded as part of the CPO process unless there is a campaign open for it.

You should have received a DVD with nav data and that is most likely the version the car originally came with.

If you cannot enter a house number, that does not sound like a problem with the data but the problem lies perhaps somewhere else and does in fact need to be checked at the workshop.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550 Blk/Blk Sport, HUD, Night Vis, Actv Str, Logic 7 w/ HD & Sat, iPOD, Cold Wthr, Comfrt access, shades, 20x vented seats, rear heat splt fold, K40 Radar 03 525 Kalahari Beige / Tan, Sport, little Dinan stuff

Thanks. I'll bring it in. The service tech over the phone couldn't understand and by the time I got to the dealer, I only had sales folks (valuable, none the less) to look at it and they too were scratching their heads. Some locations were fine but others, plugging in the street number was just not an option.

I don't know what their reference to "latest version" was assocoated with. They talked of "brought to 2008 version" but it could have been the whole iDrive system, I don't know.

I guess quit guessing and bring it in. That what warranty is for.

Thanks again
Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

The warranty won't cover the new 2008 map disk. which it kinda sounds like you may need. If you can get maps to some places and not others, it sounds like you map data is out dated or the place you are going to was not included on the map disk. In Atlanta and Birmingham my wifes Audi nav system frequently says we are off road do to the area not being mapped or the house address not existing in its data base. The new disk won't cure it , do to the disk covering updates in certain areas only
Old 06-30-2008, 04:08 AM
Members

Thanks, I'm sure my dealer will allow me to try a newer disk to see if that does it. It is just strange the businesses that it excludes. One was a 26 year old medical speciality collage in an older business area so the hotels, car dealers and other offices on that street were not serviced by that disk.

Funny, my 3 year old $299 Garmin had never "complained" but .... Guess I'll have to keep it in my glovebox as a back up.

Thanks all
Old 07-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Members

I took it into the dealer because I had the "no House address" all too often. The net result was that BMW uses a "digital' method (whatever that means) of updating their databases so it will not be as current as a Garmin (huh???). So it is just all coincidence that the areas I was trying were not serviced.

Seems really funny if you knew the ares that I'm talking about. I'll try an "08 disk one of these days.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Members

My Ride: See signature

Little tardy, but maybe this helps. I have had similar experiences. Check to make sure you input the correct city and street. For example, I had a case where as I typed the street the options included Dallas Parkway and North Dallas Parkway. When I selected the former, I couldn't input the correct house number as they didn't go that high. When I went back and selected the other I could find it. On my wife's Nav system, she had incorrectly input Dallas for the city when the address was actually in one of the suburbs just across the city line.