E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Nav System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

I can't seem to find a way to "scroll through" the list of turn-by-turn directions in the Nav System when en-route. While driving to a destination, I can see the route on the map, but in the "arrow window", I can only see the next turn information. I took a quick look in the user manual and didn't see anything about how to scroll through the full list of directions. In every other nav system I have owned (in-dash in an acura, iPhone, garmin, etc.) I have always been able to "look ahead" to the next direction - This does not seem to be the case in the BMW. My car is a 2007 pre-LCI.

Is it just me or does the Nav not allow users to see the full list of directions?

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Look for the "Route List" command as illustrated below:

Nav System Questions-route_list.jpg
Old 12-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1079729' date='Dec 25 2009, 12:30 PM
Look for the "Route List" command as illustrated below:

Attachment 96369

Thanks - I gave that a try just now in the garage and it seems to work. I'll have to try it the next time I am actually on the road. I must say, the user interface is not intuitive :thumbsdown: . Selecting the "route list" should be in the same mode as the other key "viewing options" (map perspective, map direction of travel, arrow display). Further, I would think while using the arrow display you should simply be able to use the i drive wheel to see the next step in the route. Instead they have it in a higher level menu grouped with route preferences.

BMW builds excellent driving machines but they can't seem to figure out the user interfaces for the computer systems. I am driving a 2007 model. Hopefully in the later years they have addressed these issues. I spent the first 8 years of my career developing complex military command and control systems and their user interfaces. Central to the design philosophy I used was making systems "intuitive". This included not only appropriately "grouping" certain functions and their controls, but making the access to them context sensitive and also not forcing the user to jump through multiple menus and trees to get to a function. This is basic stuff but in 2007 BMW clearly had not cracked the code.... Oh well...off my soap box.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wolf' post='1079735' date='Dec 25 2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks - I gave that a try just now in the garage and it seems to work. I'll have to try it the next time I am actually on the road. I must say, the user interface is not intuitive :thumbsdown: . Selecting the "route list" should be in the same mode as the other key "viewing options" (map perspective, map direction of travel, arrow display). Further, I would think while using the arrow display you should simply be able to use the i drive wheel to see the next step in the route. Instead they have it in a higher level menu grouped with route preferences.

BMW builds excellent driving machines but they can't seem to figure out the user interfaces for the computer systems. I am driving a 2007 model. Hopefully in the later years they have addressed these issues. I spent the first 8 years of my career developing complex military command and control systems and their user interfaces. Central to the design philosophy I used was making systems "intuitive". This included not only appropriately "grouping" certain functions and their controls, but making the access to them context sensitive and also not forcing the user to jump through multiple menus and trees to get to a function. This is basic stuff but in 2007 BMW clearly had not cracked the code.... Oh well...off my soap box.
I find that the easiest way to access the Route List is by voice command. Just hit the voice command button and say "Route List."
Old 12-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by wolf' post='1079735' date='Dec 25 2009, 01:35 PM

I've spent the last 22 years of my life on the other side of "your" military systems...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Intuitive is the LAST I would call just about any military system, be that computer or directions or down right ergonomics.

Uh, they are the WORST by far.