E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Nav retrofit straight answers please

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Sublime
If you are doing a CCC retrofit (I have done several) you are not going to need to spend as much as the CIC's would cost. SInce the introduction of CIC kits to the market, CCC's have plummeted in price - you could get the whole set-up for 900 to 1200 dollars if you are patient and don't mind used parts.

The used CCC, 9 times out of 10 will come with the fan - the wiring is a bit difficult to source these days, but it is only 3 pins (V+,V-, Diagnostics) and with the right amount of research you can find the wiring diagram and build the harness yourself with parts from Fry's electronics.

The LVDS cable on your existing M-ASK system will work, but you need to shave off the plastic 'nub' on the ECU side. As far as GPS signals - if you are anal you could run a wire to the shark-fin, but since you do not have nav-prep you probably only have 2 connector inputs on the module anyway so don't bother. A lot of people, myself included, just run an aftermarket GPS antenna under the dash. I have mounted them in the center speaker hole on non-Logic7 cars, over the speedo or monitor (inside the dash) in others and there has never been an issue acquiring satellites.

Sometimes people get lucky and the CCC's they buy have similar coding to the cars they are going in, but things like logic7, PDC, CDC, IPOD, heated seats, voice command, and TPM need to be coded and/or updated to function properly. You won't know this until you plug the unit in...

My advice, take some time to learn to code with NCSExpert. You can do the entire retrofit yourself using this software that can be acquired on the web for free - not only will you learn a lot about your car, but you will save time and money.

If you buy a UK unit you may have issues until you code because there are provisions in the CAPPL ECU that refer to being left or right hand drive - so just be aware of that.

Go to eBay, type in 'e60 navigation' or 'e60 CCC' and check it out. If you can only get the monitor and CCC off eBay, the iDrive High controller is 300 to 500 at most dealers - not so bad considering you absolutely need it.

Just take it slow and do your research and you will be running nav in no time

PS: Nocrapplease is right, to do any BMW dealership coding in the future you WILL need to put your stock equipment back in, even the iDrive controller or the update will fail. If your vehicle order did not come with nav-prep - most of the time this cannot be updated (my dealership called Germany and got shot down). So keep the old stuff. but this will be a once every few years situation at the most...unless you have a lemon.
+1 - The man wrote everything he could for me. I agree with everything written and there's not much else I can add.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Sublime knows his shit, no doubt about it. Installed it tonight and everything works. Took it back out as I have to source the fan connector for the CCC (or build one).
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

So you didn't need any coding? You got very lucky. Just build one, very easy and if you have an old PC for pin connectors, solder gun, solder and some shrink loom you're good to go. It's been a while but I believe there's 2 or 3 wires and they need to be wired into the little socket. You'll find some info on here, its been a while so i dont remember.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
So you didn't need any coding? You got very lucky. Just build one, very easy and if you have an old PC for pin connectors, solder gun, solder and some shrink loom you're good to go. It's been a while but I believe there's 2 or 3 wires and they need to be wired into the little socket. You'll find some info on here, its been a while so i dont remember.
Not sure that I don't need any coding, but all the basics were functional. I didn't leave it hooked up for very long. I plan on building a fan harness today and I will put the high idrive controller in tonight so I can really see where I am at.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M Sport Titan Silver with Black Leather Interior, Style 172 19s, Sunroof, Professional Nav CCC Retrofit (thanks Patryk), Bluetooth.

Hi guys,

I have installed the CCC unit also...I had Business Nav as my car is Australian delivered RHD, so used the existing cable from the MASK unit and it plugged right in (had to shave the nub from one end of the LVDS cable).

Car now needs to be coded. No sound coming from speakers, and PDC thinks my E60 is an X5!!! But my biggest problem is the iDrive controller...I have the Business MASK version. Menu button works, but controller wont scroll.

I found one on ebay with this serial number 6944 844, but not sure if it is the right one!

Anyone know if this is the right controller or where I can find the right one?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Nick did you get the fan harness?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

I made a fan harness this morning that should work. I am looking for the correct plug to purchase though just to make it right. Can't seem to find a part number for it or anywhere selling it. If anyone has one or knows where to source it, please let me know.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

the part # you are looking for is 61 12 0 396 722 but the part # no longer shows as valid. I had to order it from someone in Europe and have them ship it.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thank you. Is that the harness with a plug on both ends?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by locomotiveBart
Thank you. Is that the harness with a plug on both ends?

plug on the fan side, pins to connect to the existing radio harness on the other.

Quick Reply: Nav retrofit straight answers please