E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Nav reboot and slow boot

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

I just took my 07 550i in for service, complaining about rough idle at startup and when the AC is on. They reprogrammed the computer to attempt a fix (didn't work).

At any rate, I immediately noticed that the main nav screen was a lighter shade of gray instead of a darker bronze, that the graphics were different on the CD player, etc. Not a big deal as some of the changes are actually nice. Now I don't have to pull down and PUSH in to get the entertainment screen... just pull down once and it appears.

I do have concerns though, and I'd appreciate your feedback if these things don't appear to be normal to you...

? It takes 30-60 seconds for the system to "boot up" now. First the main screen comes up (20 seconds), then the radio or CD player starts playing (30 seconds), and finally, the bluetooth finds my phone and I see the signal strength indicator light up (60-240 seconds or even more).

? Yesterday, the wife and I were driving along and the whole system rebooted. We lost music and the bronze BMW logo popped up and a minute or so later, we were back to normal operation.

BTW, I am not impressed with BMW service at the dealer I went to in Downtown Houston. It took two trips to get them to address the specific suspension noises and hood hinge creaking... and they did not successfully fix either issue. Plus, they stress cracked my windshield somehow and had to keep the car an additional day and replace it. When I picked it up, there was grease on the rearview mirror and at the top of the A pillar on the fabric.

Man, I sure do miss the way the Lexus dealer took care of me. The customer is like the king of the world there.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530D M Sport E60, media pack, bluetooth, pro nav system

Boy that sucks dude. What crappy service. My local stealers a pain also, I called them last week and asked for parts dept, they put me thru to service (after waiting 10 mins on hold), then disconnected me when they tried to transferred me wtf, for the money you pay for these cars you'd expect to be looked after a lot better.
As far as your idrive goes, mines an late 05 and I only have to pull the knob in the direction I want to go and that's it, no pushing down at all.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

mine has re-booted like that twice since the software update.....boots up fine when I crank the car.....then about 10 mins later it'll reboot, and take about 10 mins to come back up, just sits on the grey BMW screen, and no radio or phone
Old 05-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I had weird problems with iDrive when I used a copy of the NAV DVD on cheap/incompatible media. It seemed o.k. at first, but after a few months (possibly after a S/W upgrade - I've had several) it booted slow and occasionally stumbled wtih no explanation. I made a clean new copy on quality DVD media and that fixed it. If you are using a copy, suspect that.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='866301' date='May 2 2009, 06:07 PM
I had weird problems with iDrive when I used a copy of the NAV DVD on cheap/incompatible media. It seemed o.k. at first, but after a few months (possibly after a S/W upgrade - I've had several) it booted slow and occasionally stumbled wtih no explanation. I made a clean new copy on quality DVD media and that fixed it. If you are using a copy, suspect that.
Mine is original............
Old 05-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

My DVD is original too.

BTW, I sure do need an updated DVD. Anyone know where I can find a 2009 version at a discount? That $195 price tag is steep!