E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

NAV Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

I've never used this feature in my car yet........ wasn't even sure if it did this...

I'm on a business trip with a friend and he has a portable GPS unit (TomTom) that he can attach to the windshield of his rental car. This unit is so easy to use.....and so cool.

Anyway, after lunch today, I wanted to go to Starbucks, so he accessed his little unit and searched for the nearest Starbucks. Worked great.

I brought my e60 manual with me on this trip so I could read up on bluetooth stuff, but got curious about the capabilities of the e60 NAV. Could it also search for the nearest Starbucks?

Looking on page 119 (of the manual) there appears to be a similar feature. I'll play with it when I get back.

OK... now for the questions:
- Are the businesses shown in the list current?
- What if they build a new Startbucks or something else next week?
- How, if ever does this new business show up?
- Is there a database that gets updated when the software is upgraded?
- Is a new DVD required for updating this list of Hotels/restaurants...etc...?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33' post='228849' date='Jan 24 2006, 12:08 PM
I've never used this feature in my car yet........ wasn't even sure if it did this...

I'm on a business trip with a friend and he has a portable GPS unit (TomTom) that he can attach to the windshield of his rental car. This unit is so easy to use.....and so cool.

Anyway, after lunch today, I wanted to go to Starbucks, so he accessed his little unit and searched for the nearest Starbucks. Worked great.

I brought my e60 manual with me on this trip so I could read up on bluetooth stuff, but got curious about the capabilities of the e60 NAV. Could it also search for the nearest Starbucks?

Looking on page 119 (of the manual) there appears to be a similar feature. I'll play with it when I get back.

- Is there a database that gets updated with the software is upgraded?
You have "DVD" based Nav system, which mean that all the info is sstored on the DVD. The list will be as current as the DVD version you own (the latest one available is 2006 ver 1, I think). You will need to purchase (yes purchase - around $300) to get the latest updates.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33' post='228849' date='Jan 24 2006, 10:08 AM

- Is there a database that gets updated with the software is upgraded?
All the POIs are on the DVD. When they are updated and how extensive the list of updated POIs is, is problematic. I have had three different cars with navigation systems since a major re-working of a freeway interchange in our city. None have had this change to freeway on-ramps in their systems. Starbucks may be an even lesser priority.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I think the POI service provided on the BMW system is rubbish compared to the after market systems. You won't find places like Starbucks or Fastfood joints on it. I think they have reserved "BMW Assist" for this service. :thumbsdown:
Old 01-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Here is my question.....

Can you search for Points of Interest by name?

Example:

Let's say I want to go to Outback Steakhouse. But I am in a city I do not know. On my old Lexus, I used to be able to type in Outback... and sort by distance. It would return a list of Outbacks with the closest one shown first. This is much easier than doing a list of restaurants and sorting by distance, and then having to scroll looking for Outback.

I have not seen this ability on my E60 Nav. Does it have it??