E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Nabbed a 545i

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by pughmat' date='Apr 25 2005, 07:15 AM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='Apr 25 2005, 12:44 AM']

The only thing that isn't working right is Bluetooth. And this is Sprint's fault, because Sprint's only Bluetooth phone, the LG PM-325, is crippled in ways that make integration with the Bimmer's system impossible. A disappoinment, considering I picked up this phone just today. Will be returning it tomorrow. (No, I can't move from Sprint because they're the only ones with decent reception at home and office and have great prices).
The Sprint Treo 650 works fine for me....grab one of those.

Matt
[snapback]119706[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thx, I'll do that. Didn't want to spend that much on a phone, but compared to the price of this car, it's pocket change.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 25 2005, 06:16 AM
Keep us informed on that audio system.

I'm particularly interested to see how you get a decent headunit installed.?

I did see one guys pics of an Alpine Nav headunit installed in the factory radio location.

If you want aftermarket Nav....? don't waste your time looking at ANYTHING else but Alpine.

Unfortunate part is, though....? Alpine CD players are not the highest sound quality out there.? But their Nav is lightyears ahead of the competition.
[snapback]119696[/snapback]
What do you think of Pioneer's latest model, the AVIC-N2? It's incredibly well-featured. I don't have to worry about the CD player, I never play CDs in the car, only MP3s from iPods and the like.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Members

My Ride: E39 540iA Sport TiSilver/Bleack Leather NAV, PDC, DSP, Shades, CWP E60 550 6 Speed 2008 MY Euro Del (Thanksgiving 2007, Munich Germany)

Congratulations ! Very nice vehicle ! Safe driving !

When are we going to have a Bay Area meet ?

Cheers,
Roland Kelly
Menlo Park, CA
Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any weekend would work!
I'm from San Jose.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: E39 540iA Sport TiSilver/Bleack Leather NAV, PDC, DSP, Shades, CWP E60 550 6 Speed 2008 MY Euro Del (Thanksgiving 2007, Munich Germany)

Sounds good. In the past about 20 E39 owners got together a CISCO location and shared stories about our cars.

Agent 99 , are you still out there ? We'll get a separate thread going on this soon, gotta dash

Cheers,
Roland
Old 04-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributors

That GS looks good
Old 04-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

What do you think of Pioneer's latest model, the AVIC-N2? It's incredibly well-featured. I don't have to worry about the CD player, I never play CDs in the car, only MP3s from iPods and the like.
I'll look into the Pioneer further. For years Alpine was the only aftermarket company that even offered Navigation with video maps.

That Pioneer looks a lot like the Alpine CVA series of headunits. The technology has probably caught up to Alpine, from the look at it. But I'll take a deeper look into the features when I get home tonight.

You raise a good point about not needing a CD player, however. But it leads me to ask this question:

What is the point of installing a quality audio system if you're going to be listening to MP3 files? MP3 file audio quality is so poor that I refuse to listen to them, period. You've probably heard the tired saying: "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link." Well, in a stereo the source material is one link in the chain. Start with poor source material, and you'll have poor results. I personally would never put money into a competition quality system if I don't listen to high-quality source material.

You may not notice MP3s poor quality when you are jogging with an iPod listening to headphones.... but put a "CD Quality" MP3 on a competition system with good subwofers and you'll hear the low and high-end distortion / cutoff.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

congrats, merzbow ! can't wait to see more pics after your projects .
Old 04-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 25 2005, 12:53 PM
What is the point of installing a quality audio system if you're going to be listening to MP3 files?? MP3 file audio quality is so poor that I refuse to listen to them, period.? You've probably heard the tired saying:? "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link."? Well, in a stereo the source material is one link in the chain.? Start with poor source material, and you'll have poor results.? I personally would never put money into a competition quality system if I don't listen to high-quality source material.

You may not notice MP3s poor quality when you are jogging with an iPod listening to headphones....? but put a "CD Quality" MP3 on a competition system with good subwofers and you'll hear the low and high-end distortion / cutoff.
[snapback]119844[/snapback]
At 128 kbps, certainly. But at 256 kbps a well-ripped MP3 is indistinguishable from CD quality audio for essentially all types of recorded music. There have been double-blind tests run against panels of expert audio listeners who couldn't tell the difference. For years I've been playing 256 kpbs MP3s in my Lexus aftermarket system, through a computer with an external DAC, headphone amp, and high-end headphones, and through an iPod with top-end Etymotics. Never have I been able to tell the difference between a CD and a 256 kpbs MP3.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Well... from my experience as a DJ for years in a club environment, I can tell even a 384 kbps MP3 when played on a loud system. It's all in the bass response. Granted I'm comparing it to vinyl, which is an analog recording so it's not exactly a fair comparison. (Vinyl has much better low-end performance when played loud than any CD or even a 384 k MP3 file, and it's very apparent when you hear it on a good, club system) Most of you will probably not believe me, but it's the truth.

Anyway... to this day I won't listen to anything on MP3. I buy 99% of my music on vinyl, but if I do get something electronically then I use WAV or FLAC encoding. (Both are lossless encoding)

I'm lucky to have close friends who are Full Sail grads (audio engineers)... so they help me master my own recordings on CD for listening in the car. Obviously it was more important when I had the nice systems in my Acura and Lexus before my E60.

Quick Reply: Nabbed a 545i