E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

N62 V8 coolant leak help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N62 V8 coolant leak help

Does anyone know what this round rubber thing is next to the oil filter? I'm having a small coolant leak and this may be the culprit.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

I dont think thats the culprit.. probably where the coolant is collecting and dripping out from....
I think ur leak is probably somewhere else,,,,, a leaky hose, or coolant expansion tank, a sensor,,,water pump or even (hopefully not ) ur coolant pipe leaking from the front of the engine ,, the fluid is just workin its way out at that plastic rivit area,,,
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by godai
Does anyone know what this round rubber thing is next to the oil filter? I'm having a small coolant leak and this may be the culprit.

I had that leak on my car. It is not fun or cheap to fix it.
This video will explain where is it leaking from.

BTW
This rubber thing is just a plug (dust cover). You can take it out. to see bit more.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 PM
H F
New Members

Dawid,,wat is the cost for that repair ?The rear coolant passage cover,,,, I have never even heard of that leak,,, another weak point on these engines,,,, that totally sucks....

Last edited by H F; 03-18-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Yae farkin gods...wtf BMW??? I never heard of that one either. We all know the brilliant, rocket-scientist designed valley pan coolant transfer pipe that would have required an engine removal if not for the Bimmer pipe (and similar designs)...now we have a whole cover pan hidden by the damned transmission and freggin flywheel. Yikes!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Members

Thanks for the info. How much were you leaking and paid to fix? I'm not leaking much now just wondering if it'll get worse.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by godai
Thanks for the info. How much were you leaking and paid to fix? I'm not leaking much now just wondering if it'll get worse.
godai,, keep checkin ur coollant level.. be carefull not to overheat ur engine .dont drive too far in that condition,,, that gasket could fail and loose all ur coolant if ur not carefull.. keep us informed if u get get any cost estimates...Im affraid to even imagine what that costs to fix... After seeing that video my freakin jaw dropped... I havent heard anyone ever talk about,,, or mention this,,,,,, Rear coolant passage cover,, Man,, that is just a stupid design,,,, sry u have to go thru that expense...
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Yae farkin gods...wtf BMW??? I never heard of that one either. We all know the brilliant, rocket-scientist designed valley pan coolant transfer pipe that would have required an engine removal if not for the Bimmer pipe (and similar designs)...now we have a whole cover pan hidden by the damned transmission and freggin flywheel. Yikes!
Its the rear of the engine where the transfer pipe is. I've read of people having the get these seals replaced after doing the transfer pipe fix. I'm assuming because after pressure builds coolant will leak at the next weakest point.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Its the rear of the engine where the transfer pipe is. I've read of people having the get these seals replaced after doing the transfer pipe fix. I'm assuming because after pressure builds coolant will leak at the next weakest point.
The coolant pipe runs underneath the intake manifold, and runs from the front to the back of the engine with seals on each end,,check out this link..
Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by H F
The coolant pipe runs underneath the intake manifold, and runs from the front to the back of the engine with seals on each end,,check out this link..

#5 is the cover plate with gasket there referring too. Goes on the back of the block behind the transmission. The transfer pipe connects from the front timing case/water pump to the back cover. The pipe itself seals on the block.

Quick Reply: N62 V8 coolant leak help