E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which N54 tuner is best?
VAC Intelligent Turbo Control Module
0%
Burger Motorsports Juice Box 3
100.00%
Split Second Turbo Tuner 2
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

N54 Owners - Which turbo tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 Mystic Blue M3 Coupe 1999 Estoril Blue M3 Coupe 2008 Sapphire Black 535xi

OK here's a poll that addresses only turbo tunes for the N54 powered cars. Since this is a 5-series forum and not a 3-series forum, I'm assuming many of you share the same thoughts with me as far as a tune goes: I'm concerned about reliability first, so the ProCede tune is out of the question as it is over the top and overboosts, and Dinan and some others like GIAC are not included because their price points are way higher. These can all be had for about $500 give or take.

In order of importance:

More power, of course!
Drivability (does the VAC "surge?")
Fuel mileage (i.e. lean cruise)
Price

So please chime in, especially if you have first hand experience with any of the above.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Mystic Blue M3 Coupe 1999 Estoril Blue M3 Coupe 2008 Sapphire Black 535xi

So many 535 owners and no one has an opinion on a tuner? Are you guys satisfied with the stock power and torque???
Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

juicebox 3
Old 06-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Thanx for the input phil

SSTT or JB+ will have less control on timing and fuel pressures. I had a jb+ for about 2 years, was happy with the mild gains while set @ 75%, no problems when I had it on. Gas mileage did not change, only if my foot got heavy. IMO, the jb+ is a great tune for the price for someone that just wants a little extra for his/her DD. Go with the jb+ over the SSTT if you do go with a tmap sensor tune. TMAP sensor max boosts IIRC were logged around +13 when set at it's highest boost and with race gas.

The JB3 plugs into the ECU, so timing and fuel pressure will be better controlled, somewhat making it slightly safer than just a TMAP sensor plug in. The JB3 also gives you variable maps which vary from stock to race maps. If you want both a DD and track beast, go with the JB3. I think max/peak boosts on the jb3 v2 has been stated to be around 22-23psi (could be wrong tho)

The GIAC flash is another great option. Flashes are always going to be a bit safer than piggybacks as these do work within parameters of the engine and turbo's without tricking it like piggyback/ecu tune's do. From what I've read an experienced, the power curve is smooth through the lower gears and has a much improved rpm shifting over stock. Peak boosts with this flash IIRC is said to be +18psi

A slightly more expensive tune is Dinan, I think I read somewhere that Dinan S2 also controls water pressure to incorporate cooling for the turbos. Dinan also provides a warranty, which IMO balances out the cost. Not sure what the numbers are for the boost on Dinan S1 and S2

Since we are mentioning warranty, if you are concerned about your warranty being voided/throwing tuner codes. If you go with a JB3, JB+ or SSTT, invest in a BT scanner so you can delete codes prior to going in for service which could be found and potentially void any warranty work.

ECU piggybacks and tunes have been proven to be invisible/no manip codes thrown.

However if you have an early model N54 engine and have not upgraded your SW, your 535i may not be equipped with tuner detection software (pre 29.2 SW, build date pre 3/08).

***another flash I think you left out to consider is ESS, price is slightly less than GIAC and gains are just as good (slightly better). RPI also provides an ESS/RPI N54 flash....

you'll find more info on the FI section of e90posts as well as better numbers of the boosts for each tune, as I am going off memory and am not sure if my memory is providing the correct numbers

hope this helps, good luck with your decision...
Old 06-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Members

Thanks for the detailed info! Just curious as to why you had the JB+ for only 2 years... did you upgrade to another tuner?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by MrLiou168
Thanks for the detailed info! Just curious as to why you had the JB+ for only 2 years... did you upgrade to another tuner?
I had to take my car in for service and had to remove the jb+, with less than 10 months left on my lease I decided to keep it off and sell...

at this point if I was to upgrade to another tune my first choice would be ESS/RPI as it boosts slightly less than GIAC S1 but gains are the same if not slightly better (from what I've been told from a trusted and knowledgeable source)....if not ESS I would go with GIAC, once GIAC releases a hand held switcher I think GIAC will be even more popular.....

as you can see, I'm partial to flashes over piggybacks...
Old 06-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Members

Gotcha - so instead of TMAP sensor you'd go straight with ECU flash. Interesting... Any thoughts on the VAC? It seems as if there are no reviews on this one, and it looks like the best value out there.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MrLiou168
Gotcha - so instead of TMAP sensor you'd go straight with ECU flash. Interesting... Any thoughts on the VAC? It seems as if there are no reviews on this one, and it looks like the best value out there.
honestly have not heard anything about VAC.....so cannot comment...I do know that GIAC and ESS are established performance upgrade companies
Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Contributors

the only n54 tune i have had personal experience on your list is the jb3. Due to high pressure fuel pump issues, that may or may not have had to do with the tune, the car qualified for the lemon law.

As Gene has stated I would go with a reflash over a piggy back. The drawback to the JB3 is that it must be removed every time you visit the dealership, which may be frequent due to HPFP issues. RPI/ESS has a great tune that they have on their shop 135i. I have raced it against my M5 from the dig and he was able to hold a half a car length until about 65-70mph.

The jb3 is a great tune for the money but after investing in a bt scanner, you might as well get the higher priced tunes. Check GIAC, RPI/ESS, or Dinan before pulling the trigger. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Members

That's pretty impressive - I know how fast first-hand the M5 is! The only reason I nixxed the reflash is for cost concerns. My wife the boss has dictated a strict budget for the 535xi tune, as I have a ton more loot sunk into my track E36 M3 which is currently in desperate need of consumables. The E60 is simply a DD that I would like a little more power out of. So again, we're back to the JB3 vs. VAC since no one seems to like the SSTT very much.

Quick Reply: N54 Owners - Which turbo tuner?