E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Mysterious rotating noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:53 PM
huy
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this on another forum with no responses.. hopefully someone can help here.

For the last few weeks I've noticed a mysterious rotating noise/sound coming from the hood.. the sound occurs frequently, but is not consistant.. it sounds a metal bearing has a dry spot and needs oil.. as it rubs over the dry spot, it makes the sound.. something like ".....woommm.....woomm....woommm.." it happens with the car is parked, in drive, cold, and hot..

had it with the dealer last week for 3 days and the tech could not duplicate the noise during that time.. even though the SA heard it when i dropped off the car; duh!!!.. and the sound was there when i got home after picking it up; double-duh!!!

anyone experience this issue or may know what it could be??
Old 03-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Does it stop if you turn the ventilation off?

My 545 makes a similar cycling, whining noise. My dealer confirmed that there is an electric, auxiliary water pump, which feeds water into the heater, that sometimes is loud. (They need an auxiliary electric pump so it can also feed coolant/water when the engine's off, on that residual heating/cooling feature.) My dealer replaced mine, and frankly the noise is less, but still there. It's worst when the engine is warm, but the heater is turned up to a high temperature (so I guess it's pumping a lot of water into the heater).
Old 03-09-2005, 03:29 PM
huy
Contributors

The noise occurs when the ventilation is on and off.. and it doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot.. it does sound louder upon startup and sometimes dies down within 5mins.. other times, i can hear it when i'm at a stop light with the radio off and windows open..

i'm assuming the electric water pump should be silent by itself and the only noise from it would come from the fins (wet-part) right?.. my noise sounds like metal rubbing metal; medium to low pitched.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Originally Posted by tab545' date='Mar 9 2005, 07:07 PM
Does it stop if you turn the ventilation off?

My 545 makes a similar cycling, whining noise.? My dealer confirmed that there is an electric, auxiliary water pump, which feeds water into the heater, that sometimes is loud.? (They need an auxiliary electric pump so it can also feed coolant/water when the engine's off, on that residual heating/cooling feature.)? My dealer replaced mine, and frankly the noise is less, but still there.? It's worst when the engine is warm, but the heater is turned up to a high temperature (so I guess it's pumping a lot of water into the heater).
[snapback]99313[/snapback]
I had, and still have, exactly this same problem. Its driving me nuts! Posted :-http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=4555&hl=climate