E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My windshield got cracked!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='1003919
Melimel You must have a good Policy! I have $500.00 deductable and dicided to do the just replaced Windshield myself. It cost me $ 350.00 Which Insurance company do you have? DTD
i have geico.. im gonna harrass joe now.. make him call ins co.. deal with it. im dealing with school kids that are famished AND i have a friend over.. i definitly want to make sure its oem.. and someone also told me i should have the condensation sensors as well?? standard in 07 and up?? correct?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1004124' date='Sep 10 2009, 03:24 PM
lolol.. mine are in the back window..lol..

i have geico.. im gonna harrass joe now.. make him call ins co.. deal with it. im dealing with school kids that are famished AND i have a friend over.. i definitly want to make sure its oem.. and someone also told me i should have the condensation sensors as well?? standard in 07 and up?? correct?
Definitely the right move in pushing for OEM Mel.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1004132' date='Sep 10 2009, 03:34 PM
Definitely the right move in pushing for OEM Mel.
see now i know everyman lies.. i spoke to joe. he said that the ins co said that theyll pay 400 toward oem if thats what we want. now joe is saying that were giving the car back in a year so why does it matter.. im like well we cant give it back without oem wheels, why would it be okay for a windshield.. now his story changed.. "wellll" he goes, "ill find out for sure if we need oem" i think he bullshitted me so id shut up.. but i have a feeling i need an oem windshield.. (hope im wrong cause otherwise itll cost HIM!) updating as i find out.. hopefully this crap helps someone in the future if anyone needs to know
Old 09-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Contributors

UPDATE.. spoke to BMW. s/a said he would "recommend" oem glass.. he has seen the sensors in the past not work correctly, not all the time, but sometimes. i also called geico, they said oem from the dealer is 1500$. they will cover 600$ toward it, (BMW wanrs 2100$ to fix glass) they can scratch..lol..still no detuctible though. joe said "fuc* that" im putting in replacement glass! lol.. i want wheels anyway.. paying for OEM would have delayed that and id have to argue with him even more then i do now. so replacement it is.. and yes i also found out that i have both rain AND condensation sensors thanks for the heads up in the pm's!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Hi Mel - so here's my 2 cents in the matter

I have my second windhsield replacement on now. I have the Heads Up so need that special interior coating for the reflection and the rain sensor. My first crack - I insisted on OEM and made GEICO shell out what they would, covered the difference and had BMW replace it. Funny thing about the OEM glass is that it is VERY SOFT. The glass cracks with the smallest of force. Literally, six months later, I was doing 40mph on this side road and would you know it - a dollar sized shiner in the middle of the screen from a pebble kicked up from the car ahead...

Well - I wasn't going to shell out major moolah again so get Safelite installed from GEICO - they paid every penny. I swear - I've taken on rocks twice the size of the original pebbles at twice the speed with just a small chip in the glass at the most and that's it. The Safelite stuff is strong, durable and very practical. There are no rain sensor issues or any condensation issues... The heads up works just fine..

I am very happy with my decision - hope this helps you as well.

S
Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='1005956' date='Sep 13 2009, 12:20 AM
Hi Mel - so here's my 2 cents in the matter

I have my second windhsield replacement on now. I have the Heads Up so need that special interior coating for the reflection and the rain sensor. My first crack - I insisted on OEM and made GEICO shell out what they would, covered the difference and had BMW replace it. Funny thing about the OEM glass is that it is VERY SOFT. The glass cracks with the smallest of force. Literally, six months later, I was doing 40mph on this side road and would you know it - a dollar sized shiner in the middle of the screen from a pebble kicked up from the car ahead...

Well - I wasn't going to shell out major moolah again so get Safelite installed from GEICO - they paid every penny. I swear - I've taken on rocks twice the size of the original pebbles at twice the speed with just a small chip in the glass at the most and that's it. The Safelite stuff is strong, durable and very practical. There are no rain sensor issues or any condensation issues... The heads up works just fine..

I am very happy with my decision - hope this helps you as well.

S
interesting.. well, i think as of now im getting oem cause from what safelight told joe (my hub) was that they dont make a replacement for my car? with the rain sensor, condensation sensor and heads up. i didnt speak with any insurance agent so im only going on here-say. they had to order the glass from bmw and when it comes in, safelight will install it.. in my driveway. i am covered 100% through geico if ithappens this way. if i have bmw fix it. which im told bmw sends it out anyways cause they dont do glass at the dealers. then geico only pays for like $600 toward it. which leaves me with a balance of 1500$. bmw quoted me 2100$ (fuckers)

so im waiting on the windshield to come in. and gonna have safelight do it. then im keeping myu little ones ass in his booster if i have to cement it in.

thanks alot everyone though, you guys have all gave me great advice.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1006114' date='Sep 13 2009, 10:29 AM
interesting.. well, i think as of now im getting oem cause from what safelight told joe (my hub) was that they dont make a replacement for my car? with the rain sensor, condensation sensor and heads up. i didnt speak with any insurance agent so im only going on here-say. they had to order the glass from bmw and when it comes in, safelight will install it.. in my driveway. i am covered 100% through geico if ithappens this way. if i have bmw fix it. which im told bmw sends it out anyways cause they dont do glass at the dealers. then geico only pays for like $600 toward it. which leaves me with a balance of 1500$. bmw quoted me 2100$ (fuckers)

so im waiting on the windshield to come in. and gonna have safelight do it. then im keeping myu little ones ass in his booster if i have to cement it in.

thanks alot everyone though, you guys have all gave me great advice.
Sounds like a great result Mel.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530X, Silver Gray, Black Dakota, Premium Package, Cold Package, Park Distance Sensors, Steptronic

Keep an eye on GEICO, they tend to cut corners to maintain profitabability and I doubt having an expensive foreign car means much to them. I had an issue with how they repaired my Mercedes a few years ago which was less than what I expected. GEICO is a Warren Buffet company and he is known to squeeze profits, but I don't have to tell you all that.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

You were lucky it was the windsield for most insurance companies this is the one they cover. For some reason they dont cover the rear window.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Mel...you definitely need a HUD compatible windshield! (I must admit that I skimmed through all the crap about Geico, lizards, etc. so if it's already been mentioned, please excuse me...) I can't believe so many of our experts missed that fact early on...come on people, you're getting lazy!!

All that other crap, rain sensor, humidity sensor, etc. is great but if you don't get a HUD windshield, you'll surely be SOL.

Oh yeah, and one more thing...get that crystal ball thingy out of the car!

Quick Reply: My windshield got cracked!!!!