E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My weather stripping is falling apart. AH!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi

Attached are some pics of my 2007 550i Sport's weather stripping around the back glass. I just recently purchased the car from the dealership about a month ago. I have been washing it about once a week with the purple bottle of Meguairs regular car wash soap, a soft auto sponge and drying it with a regular cotton towel. Now just yesterday I was finishing drying the car when I noticed that the weather stripping was coming off of the rear glass in about half inch chunks. Now, is this because I am an idiot and drying a Bimmer with oh...idk a towel? I mean is there some sort of special 80 dollar towel with a BMW Badge that is made out of some Super, German, Composite material? Or is this possibly just a recall or some sort of defect in MY weather stripping? I live in eastern North Carolina and this summer has been hotter than hell and my car is black so I am wondering if that could contribute to it as well. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails My weather stripping is falling apart. AH!-phone-649.jpg   My weather stripping is falling apart. AH!-phone-652.jpg   My weather stripping is falling apart. AH!-phone-655.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gummi phledge people!! will keep seals/rubber looking and working like new for the life of the car. Use on all weather stripping inside and out, all rubber parts/hoses and engine hoses to prevent cracking and drying. Especially nice on the hood seals undernearth the hood as the heat tends to dry those out
Old 09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Contributors

If your car is still under CPO try to go back to the dealer and get it under warranty. I have the same issue with cracking so i need to get it replaced.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i.SMG

mine is 10 times worse, they sell the weather stripping at bmw and you simply rip that one off and put the new one, i still havnt gotten around to changing mines so im not sure its gonna be a mission or not, We shall soon find out, mine is basically disinegrating
Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by calle6289
mine is 10 times worse, they sell the weather stripping at bmw and you simply rip that one off and put the new one, i still havnt gotten around to changing mines so im not sure its gonna be a mission or not, We shall soon find out, mine is basically disinegrating
It's embarassing to have falling apart weather strip on 50k car.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very common issue with very inexpensive and easy fix (at least on 2004 E60). Should be a DIY on it. Buy weather stripping from dealer and replace it yourself. Don't buy it online and have it shipped, shipping will be more expensive as the part cost. If you are a BMWCCA member find a dealer that will give you a 20 or 25% discount.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

This is, unfortunately, a very common occurrence on our cars. I just replaced mine as well. The part was about $45, and it took me about an hour to change it out because mine was disintegrating and the weatherstripping came off in small pieces. It is a very easy repair and the car looks a lot better for it.

Here's a link to the original discussion on this topic and some instructions. I used a plastic putty knife and some "goof off" to remove the very sticky residue.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/818...m-replacement/
Old 09-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

If your car is stil under bumper to bumper it will be replaced at no charge. Had mine replaced @ no charge. 07 still under bumper to bumper till 2/11. Then CPO.
Martin
Old 09-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by calle6289
Click Me

Its pretty easy to Install
Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

I replaced mine. It was about $40-50 from Bav Auto and took 10 minutes to take off/put on. You literally just pull it out.

Quick Reply: My weather stripping is falling apart. AH!