E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

my trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012 | 10:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

My trunk won't open if I push the trunk button inside the car on the drivers side. It also won't open if I unlock the car and use the button on the trunk, or put the key in and turn.

THE ONLY WAY I can open the trunk is to use the button on the key fob.

I couldn't find anything in the manual about a switch for valet that could possibly deactivate the trunk.

Any idea what it could be?
Old 07-27-2012 | 10:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kneemah
My trunk won't open if I push the trunk button inside the car on the drivers side. It also won't open if I unlock the car and use the button on the trunk, or put the key in and turn.

THE ONLY WAY I can open the trunk is to use the button on the key fob.

I couldn't find anything in the manual about a switch for valet that could possibly deactivate the trunk.

Any idea what it could be?
That is very odd, normally the Key is the backup to open the trunk if the car has no power. Did you do any changes to the car or this just started out of the blue? Have you check to see which fuses are for the release buttons?
Old 07-27-2012 | 03:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Hmm. I'm sure you believe and experience what you are describing but I am going to go with what you are saying is not exactly the full/correct info. I can not think of any reasonable way that your trunk will open remotely but not with the key unless there is more information to be shared.
Old 07-29-2012 | 10:48 PM
Members

i'll check the fuses, but the trunk opens electronically from the keyfob, so I don't think it's the current being interrupted.

does this car have a valet switch? it's the only thing i can think of to cause the trunk not to open with the car buttons.

I also found this post on another forum that describes my exact problem.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1802429
Old 07-30-2012 | 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

E60s don't have a valet switch. The only way to keep a valet out of the trunk is to lock the trunk with the metal key in the remote. I can't imagine what circumstances would negate the metal key from opening the trunk.
GL
Old 07-30-2012 | 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

i'll check the fuses, but the trunk opens electronically from the keyfob, so I don't think it's the current being interrupted.

does this car have a valet switch? it's the only thing i can think of to cause the trunk not to open with the car buttons.

I also found this post on another forum that describes my exact problem.

http://forums.bimmer...d.php?t=1802429
You need to concentrate on why it doesn't open with the metal key. Everything else is secondary to that. The key will open the trunk even with no battery connected.
Old 07-30-2012 | 09:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
E60s don't have a valet switch. The only way to keep a valet out of the trunk is to lock the trunk with the metal key in the remote. I can't imagine what circumstances would negate the metal key from opening the trunk.
GL
THANK YOU! OKAY so I had no idea, but apparently you can just turn the key a certain way and it locks the trunk. It prevents the trunk from being opened by any switch in the car or on the trunk itself until you unlike it with the metal key. I guess I didn't turn it the right way or something, but I just went to the car and started playing with it and the trunk opens now.

Thank you everyone! I wish BMW would mention this feature somewhere in the owner's manual.
Old 07-30-2012 | 11:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

I wish BMW would mention this feature somewhere in the owner's manual.
I found it under, "Luggage compartment lid", "Securing separately"
Old 07-31-2012 | 08:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

THANK YOU! OKAY so I had no idea, but apparently you can just turn the key a certain way and it locks the trunk. It prevents the trunk from being opened by any switch in the car or on the trunk itself until you unlike it with the metal key. I guess I didn't turn it the right way or something, but I just went to the car and started playing with it and the trunk opens now.
In case you didn't realize it, the metal key in the drivers door works the same way. One way to lock, the other way to unlock the car. I use this, on a rare occasion, to put my windows UP or DOWN rather than turning the car on.
My Comfort Access remote puts them down but not up (without some coding).