E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My quick review of 19.1 and new Bridgestones

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my car back yesterday.. 2 weeks driving a 325i loaner. what a difference. drive, audio, everything!

anyway, I spend anbout 15 minutes looking through I-Drive, and I see some minor additions to some of the selections, like the ability to set your diamond or star on the steering wheel to bring up your bluetooth phonebook.

I DO NOT had RDS. I have read here that this is a dealer setting, however, I can't imagine that. I beleive it was selectable on the screen in the past.

I also had new Bridgestones RE050a tires installed all around. What a difference. I also think that with 19.1, the ratios of the active steering have changed. I think they added some more "assist" to the steering to give it slightly more a funky feel, like we were back on CIP 12 or 13. It is hard to sense whether it is the Bridgestones, or the fact that I am coming from a 325 to the 545i, but the handling is brisker, the ride is very nice, and of course, no more road noise! I can not concur that the ride is softer than the Dunlops though. If anything I would even venture to say that is might be a little harder over certain bumps and humps.. Corning is definitely improved, no more pulling to the right, and I am almost ready to say that is ALMOST, repeat, ALMOST feels like my last 4 E39's with sport package.. tight on the road, with less wandering. Wandering was big problem before, but it seems more solid now.

tranny feels fine, nothing noticeable, so I guess they fixed the banging and surging from 1st to 2nd.

Finally, one notable thing. my MPG was showing about 6.5, yes that's right, with about 1/4 tank USED from full. having driven it about 50 miles so far, it's back upto 13.5, but still VERY VERY low compared to before. I was averaging 17.8-18 with 60-65% highway. I'd like to get more.. In fact, I'd like to get 25 in the city and I'd like gas to come down to about $1.50 a gallon! There you go! LOL.

more to follow.

P.S. For those of us who have become complacent with our Logic 7 systems and wonder if it was really worth it, go drive a 3 series with standard audio for a couple weeks, then turn on the Logic 7 in your E60... There will never be another doubt in your mind!
Old 10-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Contributors

I just got CIP 19.01 (I imagine you have 19.01 and not 19.1 since that appears to be the latest released in the U.S. and the latest that shows in BMW's online TIS, might be wrong though).

You should have RDS as I do. Go to an FM station and press the iDrive controller. The menu that pops up should have an RDS menu item. Select it and press the iDrive controller. It should no be "checked" and all FM stations you tune to and in your presets should show RDS text if they are braodcasting it. My car does.

I wasn't expecting an RDS fix, in fact the CIP 19.01 release notes don't mention RDS being fixed. Go figure. I do have a new problem since the update however. My FM and AM reception cuts out for a few seconds every now and then. Quite annoying and never a problem before.

I normally wouldn't have bothered with a software update but I had enough nits that when I took the car in for a repair for my punctured PS/ARS fluid cooler I figure why not. It seemed that we were getting to stable CIP releases. Apparently not.

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 2 2005, 08:29 AM
Got my car back yesterday.. 2 weeks driving a 325i loaner.? what a difference.? drive, audio, everything!

anyway, I spend anbout 15 minutes looking through I-Drive, and I see some minor additions to some of the selections, like the ability to set your diamond or star on the steering wheel to bring up your bluetooth phonebook.

I DO NOT had RDS. I have read here that this is a dealer setting, however, I can't imagine that.? I beleive it was selectable on the screen in the past.

I also had new Bridgestones RE050a tires installed all around.? What a difference.? I also think that with 19.1, the ratios of the active steering have changed.? I think they added some more "assist" to the steering to give it slightly more a funky feel, like we were back on CIP 12 or 13.? It is hard to sense whether it is the Bridgestones, or the fact that I am coming from a 325 to the 545i, but the handling is brisker, the ride is very nice, and of course, no more road noise!? I can not concur that the ride is softer than the Dunlops though.? If anything I would even venture to say that is might be a little harder over certain bumps and humps..? Corning is definitely improved, no more pulling to the right, and I am almost ready to say that is ALMOST, repeat, ALMOST feels like my last 4 E39's with sport package.. tight on the road, with less wandering.? Wandering was big problem before, but it seems more solid now.

tranny feels fine, nothing noticeable, so I guess they fixed the banging and surging from 1st to 2nd.

Finally, one notable thing.? my MPG was showing about 6.5, yes that's right, with about 1/4 tank USED? from full.? having driven it about 50 miles so far, it's back upto 13.5, but still VERY VERY low compared to before.? I was averaging 17.8-18 with 60-65% highway.? I'd like to get more.. In fact, I'd like to get 25 in the city and I'd like gas to come down to about $1.50 a gallon!? There you go!? LOL.

more to follow.

P.S. For those of us who have become complacent with our Logic 7 systems and wonder if it was really worth it, go drive a 3 series with standard audio for a couple weeks, then? turn on the Logic 7 in your E60... There will never be another doubt in your mind!
[snapback]178129[/snapback]
Old 10-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributors

Thanks, but I don't have that option when depressing the idrive button. I know what you are referring to, and in that menu, I only have store, ESN, and Tone I think it is.. that's all folks..

maybe the dealer needs to activate it?

I will be returning there soon.. will check.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Are you sure? "Store, ESN, and Tone" sound like the options under SAT. Under FM I think I have "RDS, Store, and Tone".

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 2 2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks, but I don't have that option when depressing the idrive button.? I know what you are referring to, and in that menu, I only have store, ESN, and Tone I think it is.. that's all folks..

maybe the dealer needs to activate it?

I will be returning there soon.. will check.
[snapback]178315[/snapback]
Old 10-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Contributors

I'll check now.. esn is wrong.. you are right... but I will see the other one!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributors

Store, Tone, Scan

no RDS! shoot!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Contributors

Update on 19.1.. re:bluetooth.

I have noticed that everytime I hit send on the phone to dial, I get a harsh clickign in the speaker system.. this was not here before the upgrade.. phone connects and sounds ok, it's only when I hit send and it goes to Bluetooth!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

wassy,

I missed hearing why you retired your first 545 and replaced it. It wasn't because of a promised sirius sat option was it?

I'll also be getting new CIP software update shortly, and I wonder which it will be...

I'd really like to get RDS back.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 4 2005, 08:20 PM
wassy,

I missed hearing why you retired your first 545 and replaced it. It wasn't because of a promised sirius sat option was it?

I'll also be getting new CIP software update shortly, and I wonder which it will be...

I'd really like to get RDS back.
[snapback]179478[/snapback]
it definitely was not because of the Sirius.. there were many issues.. the Dunlops, the creaking, sunroof slamming, car was in the shop a long time with no resolve.. dealer is great though! all seems well now. you will get 19.1 unless 19.2 is out by that time.

andy