E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My opinion of sport package / active steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

When I purchased my 545i, active steering was not an option (standard with the sport package) and I was bummed about that. I really wanted the sport package but was not crazy about active steering. Not from driving experience, just from what the Mags had said.

I recently had a 530 loaner, and here are my impressions:

First of all, the power was good - I was surprised. It was a 2004 with the non-valvetronic engine. Very quick and responsive.

Comparing the ride of the 17" balloon tires to my 18" runflats - I did not feel that the ride was any better. I think the active roll has allowed the tuners to give a good ride with exceptional handling.

Standard Steering versus Active - the standard steering, as everyone has said is good. However, I missed my active steering. I noticed it the most when pulling into my parking spot at the office and realized how much I had to crank and almost missed my line.

Also, on the freeway and general driving, I preferred the tightness and responsiveness of the active system. Granted the suspension is different, but I am sold on the active system.

BTW, Automatic versus Manual - no question, gota have the manual!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Yep I would like to echo what he said.....active steerinf rocks!! Drove a G35 coupe today. Though handling is good its just incomplete without active steering...
Drove a 530 without active steering 2-3 months back and to me, I dont like the handling at all
Old 12-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup I too agree.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='205977' date='Dec 1 2005, 10:25 PM
Yep I would like to echo what he said.....active steerinf rocks!! Drove a G35 coupe today. Though handling is good its just incomplete without active steering...
Drove a 530 without active steering 2-3 months back and to me, I dont like the handling at all
Off the active steering subject, what was the result of removing your resonator (sound/vibration)?

Also, what do you think of the short shift kit?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

Old 12-02-2005, 03:40 AM
Members

Not surprised you like it when you're used to it. Would be interesting to hear from anyone who regularly drives both. It's a bunch of money.

Is the steering ratio really that different at speed on the highway in a car with/without active steering? I can understand the parking argument for sure but that's not a reason that I would get the option.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

Same - I love active steering!!!! It took about a month to get adjusted but now anything wihout it seems like a semitruck. I would pay the extra money for it next time.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

jsal, I thought 1977 was the last year for the 455 in the Trans Am. My dad had an orange one (obviously with the firebird around the scoop on the hood).
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Originally Posted by jsal' post='205976' date='Dec 2 2005, 01:06 AM
When I purchased my 545i, active steering was not an option (standard with the sport package) and I was bummed about that. I really wanted the sport package but was not crazy about active steering. Not from driving experience, just from what the Mags had said.

I recently had a 530 loaner, and here are my impressions:

First of all, the power was good - I was surprised. It was a 2004 with the non-valvetronic engine. Very quick and responsive.

Comparing the ride of the 17" balloon tires to my 18" runflats - I did not feel that the ride was any better. I think the active roll has allowed the tuners to give a good ride with exceptional handling.

Standard Steering versus Active - the standard steering, as everyone has said is good. However, I missed my active steering. I noticed it the most when pulling into my parking spot at the office and realized how much I had to crank and almost missed my line.

Also, on the freeway and general driving, I preferred the tightness and responsiveness of the active system. Granted the suspension is different, but I am sold on the active system.

BTW, Automatic versus Manual - no question, gota have the manual!

Active steering and Manual tranny go so well together
Old 12-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I appreciate the assistance in parking lot moves, BUT, I am terrified of pulling to the right of traffic, taking a sharp "right on red" tight around a corner that may have fresh, sharp granite curbing and clipping that right rear wheel.

I destroyed a brand new 535iS TRX (remember that odd-ball metric size that BMW and Michelin locked us into on the high performance models in the late 80s?) right rear wheel. The thought of peeling that rim lip back, and/or pinching that RF tire sidewall terrify me.

As for the engine, I really do miss my 540 non-vanos engine's grunt around town (majority of my driving is local). I've had to learn to down shift and wind it up on interstate ramps, as opposed to just tromping down in third as I used to do. I can see how this engine torque band would really appeal to those who want to play with SMG.

But, my biggest gripe of the new model is the encroachment of the wheel well into the driver's foot well. It has narrowed to the point that I must shift with the toe of my shoe, rather than ball of my foot. This is VERY dangerous with today's clunkier shoe sole styles. I invariably catch the edge of the sole on the dead pedal and have to back off and reposition my foot. :thumbsdown:

I guess this is progress, but maybe I should have driven it first...rather than relying on faith in BMW.

Cheers,
Ray Hull

Quick Reply: My opinion of sport package / active steering