E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My new 535xi is DEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003, Passat W8 Station Wagon.
Smile

Yup, in my hands for four days it died on Tuesday of main engine computer failure.

The tale: Picked-up Thursday night 29JUN, on Saturday @ 6PM a flat tire on a long weekend (Canada Day) gave no possibilities of repair till this Tuesday. Tuesday morning off to Toronto BMW and as a ?drop in? they did a very good job and impressing me with service.

Now the kicker! Happily driving from BMW to work the engine check logo came on, a chime and immediate loss of engine power. Some message on the monitor said to reduce power. Called from work and back I went to the dealership.

Now its Thursday and the car won?t respond to the 2 new software uploads, so tomorrow a new computer is arriving and they will have to reload all the programs.

Loaner is a 535i, not too many options, after four years of all wheel drive experience I don?t much like the rear wheel drive, especially in slippery roads + the xi feels more solid. I will keep you up to date as it unfolds ?

Anyone else with this computer issue?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that.. that just sucks. hope it all turns out well for you.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by spike' post='443887' date='Jul 5 2007, 08:11 PM
Yup, in my hands for four days it died on Tuesday of main engine computer failure.

The tale: Picked-up Thursday night 29JUN, on Saturday @ 6PM a flat tire on a long weekend (Canada Day) gave no possibilities of repair till this Tuesday. Tuesday morning off to Toronto BMW and as a “drop in” they did a very good job and impressing me with service.

Now the kicker! Happily driving from BMW to work the engine check logo came on, a chime and immediate loss of engine power. Some message on the monitor said to reduce power. Called from work and back I went to the dealership.

Now its Thursday and the car won’t respond to the 2 new software uploads, so tomorrow a new computer is arriving and they will have to reload all the programs.

Loaner is a 535i, not too many options, after four years of all wheel drive experience I don’t much like the rear wheel drive, especially in slippery roads + the xi feels more solid. I will keep you up to date as it unfolds –

Where do you find slippery roads in July? (Sorry about you problems).
Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

Originally Posted by grover432' post='443925' date='Jul 5 2007, 09:52 PM
LOL !
Old 07-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh man... sorry to hear. keep us updated... I'm curious to know what the problem is... anything to do with the turbo?

Originally Posted by grover432' post='443925' date='Jul 5 2007, 08:52 PM

In Canada... DUH...
Old 07-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by spike' post='443887' date='Jul 5 2007, 09:11 PM

The tale: Picked-up Thursday night 29JUN, on Saturday @ 6PM a flat tire on a long weekend (Canada Day) gave no possibilities of repair till this Tuesday. Tuesday morning off to Toronto BMW and as a "drop in" they did a very good job and impressing me with service.

Now its Thursday and the car won't respond to the 2 new software uploads, so tomorrow a new computer is arriving and they will have to reload all the programs.

Loaner is a 535i, not too many options, after four years of all wheel drive experience I don't much like the rear wheel drive, especially in slippery roads + the xi feels more solid. I will keep you up to date as it unfolds ?

Spike I feel your pain. I too was in somewhat of a bad situation when I bought my car. I also own a 535xi and have been to the dealer several times for several issues. I will not go into detail but i'll briefly describe the issues with my car. The first problem was a wheel alignment, the steering wheel was off center to the right just a little but noticible. Brought it in twice for that. Second the shifter,yes, the park,drive, shifter went bad. That was on national back order for 2 weeks. That was replaced and now it's the pressure pump for the fuel. Once in awhile the car won't start and requires several attempts to start it. The story is relly long but i'm giving you the short version. That part is also on national back order for 2 to 3 weeks. I know how you feel , hang in there.

Rick...
Old 07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Members

Hopefully things will be resolved.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Hopefully these AWD turbos aren't lemons. Glad to hear your BMW service center experience is good though.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Sorry to hear about your 535 RIP
Old 07-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003, Passat W8 Station Wagon.
Red face

Update: A new main computer was shipped from Germany this week; it comes pre-loaded but needs 6 hours for the dealer to load modules from the other applications. I can?t remember the name they called it. It was three letters.

I should have my car back on Tuesday latest. I am told this is the first time a LCI had had this problem and is not related to anything to do with the engine or fuel pump. Cannot wait as I only had the car for three days!!

quote name='spike' date='Jul 5 2007, 09:11 PM' post='443887']

The tale: Picked-up Thursday night 29JUN, on Saturday @ 6PM a flat tire on a long weekend (Canada Day) gave no possibilities of repair till this Tuesday. Tuesday morning off to Toronto BMW and as a ?drop in? they did a very good job and impressing me with service.

Now its Thursday and the car won?t respond to the 2 new software uploads, so tomorrow a new computer is arriving and they will have to reload all the programs.

Loaner is a 535i, not too many options, after four years of all wheel drive experience I don?t much like the rear wheel drive, especially in slippery roads + the xi feels more solid. I will keep you up to date as it unfolds ?

[/quote]

Quick Reply: My new 535xi is DEAD!