E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My I-Drive screen and radio won't come on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

The last 2 days when I start my car up my I-drive screen is pitch black and I can't get radio to work or eject cd or anything. I try shutting my car down and restarting but that doesn't work ether. Yesterday when I was leaving work and started my car it finally worked (didn't work on the ride in to work) and everything was fine. Go into work today no radio, no screen and if I am not mistaken no seat belt warning sound didn't work (I can LIVE with that!!) But I am sooo sick of going to the dealership to get my car fixed. I don't think I have had a car that has gotten so much service in my life. All my friends make fun of me saying, Your Car's in the shop again???
Old 02-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Obviously something's not right -- do you have navigation? If you do, the there is a reboot feature that might at least get it going until the dealer can make it work the way it's supposed to...
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=25869
Old 02-25-2007, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='395312' date='Feb 25 2007, 05:41 AM
Obviously something's not right -- do you have navigation? If you do, the there is a reboot feature that might at least get it going until the dealer can make it work the way it's supposed to...
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=25869
No I don't have nav. I read someone here about someone that had something w/there battery had the same issue. Tuesday they had to replace my battery I wonder if that is the problem?
Old 02-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Members

they changed the player on my e90 because it only worked when the car was "cold"
Old 02-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

Originally Posted by John007' post='395309' date='Feb 25 2007, 10:22 AM
The last 2 days when I start my car up my I-drive screen is pitch black and I can't get radio to work or eject cd or anything. I try shutting my car down and restarting but that doesn't work ether.
Mine's been the same since the dealer "fixed" a supposedly false self-levelling suspension warning message. They've already had a go at putting it right but they are absolutely lost for ideas and it's no better. Sometimes the screen's blank with an occasional pathetic attempt at life, sometimes the Bluetooth goes on holiday. No screen means no hands-free phone, no nav, no sound, nothing except the buttons on the dashboard. You have to leave it parked for at least half an hour for it spring back to life. I had intended to keep this car for a long time. It does almost everything I need in one car, but there have been so many software and electrical niggles. It terrifies me the cost of sorting out these things when the warranty runs out. And another thing! why does the CD appear to keep on going when I leave the car? I'm sure I read about this somewhere, but I can't remember what the answer was.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Members

I've had the same problem. I was told it was a programming issue intially so the car went in for am software upgrade in Jan 07. Worked fine for a week then returned to the same tricks with a blank computer screen and no access to music etc. It seems to return to life intermittently for weeks at a time then go off again. Returned to the dealership who informed me it needed re-programming again. Subsequrntly re-programmed but still has the fault but to a much lesser extent. Also I was told I couldn't have mp3 on my sept 04 car but mp3 now works fine after second re-programme. Not sure if there's any link there.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

OK My car has been at the Service Center since Monday 2pm and I am yet to hear anything from Service Manager... I hope I don't keep having this problem. Last week when my battery died, they changed the battery and said that there was some recall and had to reprogram my car so I wonder if it is an issue with the new update? This is really starting to drive me nuts... If it isn't one thing it's an other.... Only 2 people from this forum has had the i-drive black-out problem?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by moogiechompy' post='395448' date='Feb 25 2007, 01:27 PM
I've had the same problem. I was told it was a programming issue intially so the car went in for am software upgrade in Jan 07. Worked fine for a week then returned to the same tricks with a blank computer screen and no access to music etc. It seems to return to life intermittently for weeks at a time then go off again. Returned to the dealership who informed me it needed re-programming again. Subsequrntly re-programmed but still has the fault but to a much lesser extent. Also I was told I couldn't have mp3 on my sept 04 car but mp3 now works fine after second re-programme. Not sure if there's any link there.
Well maybe I'll have some luck w/the mp3 then.. do you have nav? I don't..
Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

Originally Posted by John007' post='396646' date='Feb 28 2007, 02:35 PM
OK My car has been at the Service Center since Monday 2pm and I am yet to hear anything from Service Manager... I hope I don't keep having this problem. Last week when my battery died, they changed the battery and said that there was some recall and had to reprogram my car so I wonder if it is an issue with the new update? This is really starting to drive me nuts... If it isn't one thing it's an other.... Only 2 people from this forum has had the i-drive black-out problem?
Mine was at the dealer yesterday. No answer to the problem except they have downloaded as much as they can from the car's system info and are waiting for BM technical to get back to them. Dealer said they have never come across this before (yeah right) They've already changed the screen and now they think the car needs "a new brain" ??? which will have to come from Munich pre-programmed with my car's vitals. Personally I think this is bulls**t and the real reason is they have to get permission before they swap an expensive item. Whatever, it's becoming frustrating when it happens and the russian roullette of not knowing whether it's going to be this time or next is no fun anymore.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by den535d' post='396660' date='Feb 28 2007, 10:29 AM
Mine was at the dealer yesterday. No answer to the problem except they have downloaded as much as they can from the car's system info and are waiting for BM technical to get back to them. Dealer said they have never come across this before (yeah right) They've already changed the screen and now they think the car needs "a new brain" ??? which will have to come from Munich pre-programmed with my car's vitals. Personally I think this is bulls**t and the real reason is they have to get permission before they swap an expensive item. Whatever, it's becoming frustrating when it happens and the russian roullette of not knowing whether it's going to be this time or next is no fun anymore.
Hey maybe with a new computer I can finally have mp3....

Quick Reply: My I-Drive screen and radio won't come on?