E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My first Software upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Got my car back from service last night. Had gone in for these issues:

1) On cold startup - rough idle within 60 seconds, dropping to just below 500 RPM and nearly stalling on several occasions. Technician response ? Updated program (CIP) ? reprogrammed DME main computer
Post fix observation: On first start up this AM it did appear to be much better ? will monitor over extended period.

2) Radio will not stay in mute after car is turned off regardless of how long vehicle is off.
Technician response ? Faulty programe [sic]? related to reprogramming CCC
Post fix observations: Fixed.
Further discussion: Now I can see a partial explanation to what others have commented on with post CIP 16.x upgrades. When I mute on CD, the CD stops ? no more time on that track. Then turn off engine, remove key. Start stop watch on wrist. Insert key and restart engine. After accepting disclaimer (US SPEC remember) go to entertainment screen and CD has just started back up (time counting from where it was stopped when engine turned off. Of course, no audio now until I press mute again. So I believe mine is working pretty close to as intended. Just questionable about why the CD should start up again when the software recognizes the mute status. Small issue for me ? and an improvement over what I had going in.

3) A/C Auto always comes on despite fact that was in off position when car shut down after car has gone into sleep mode. Does not happen when car is off a short time (has not gone to sleep). Technician response ? Related to reprogramming.
Post fix observation: No change in symptoms. So tech comment may be bogus.
Further discussion. As it gets deeper into summer this is a good thing I suppose. And summer last far longer (unfortunately) than winter here when I do not like this ?feature?.

4) Idrive screen goes blank when nav menu is first selected from knob and trying to select a nav function (acts as if hung up and not recognizing function requests). When knob is depressed to select a function, screen goes blank. Technician response ? Reprograme [sic] nav
Post fix: Has not happen yet ? monitor over extended period. It never was a very repeatable symptom so difficult to say of corrected or not.

5) Phone calls made from vehicle cut off after 5 rings regardless of a response by receiver. Phone out of the car does not do this. Technician response ? unable to duplicate ? no phone check phone settings.
Post non Fix: It was fixed by the CIP 16.2 upgrade. It will ring ad nauseam now.
Further discussion. Was able to quickly set up car and phone to re-pair and was working with transferred address book in just minutes. All other features/functions work as well as before including proper mute of audio (including stopping a CD) on incoming and outgoing calls.

6) Passenger window will not close (raise) in auto or drop ? inch and raise again when door is opened and then closed. Technician response ? Reset R F window drive
Post Fix: Works again as it should ? this had only gone bad about 2 days before going into service.

7) Parking lights come on and stay on once in a while when either the drivers or passengers door is opened and reclosed. This seems to have occurred when several openings and closings have occurred in short succession. Technician response ? Unable to duplicate at this time, Ck for faults tested to BMW specs.
Post non Fix: Who knows? Had happened about four times and seems to happen when I am checking something else out and I open trunk, then a door or two, or open the doors an both sides a couple of times in quick succession. I get rid of the parking lights on by opening and closing any door (including trunk) one more time.

Other comments about update and service. Nav perspective view is kinda cute and I will probably use it around areas that I am familiar with, since there are no street names. Nav icons on left side for options are handy and I use them. I do not feel any loss of map real estate as it really never came into play in my normal use of map direction of travel or now the perspective view. I now have voice command of SAT Radio (and SAT presets) and selecting Aux Input (neither available via voice before upgrade). Big help to me. SA called twice to provide status ? nice touch. . No known issues with upgrade - that is the process seemed to go well at dealer and no abnormal behavior noted with possible exceptions noted previously. Had x3 as loaner. Not bad, but after being spoiled with a 7er before it was kinda of a let down. I was impressed with the x3 audio system (Business Radio). Excellent sound stage, minimal distortion, good stereo separation and excellent base response even up to pretty high levels. No iDrive :thumbsdown: bummer
Old 05-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Members

today i upgrade also with 16.2 software ...i go on trip and tomorow will know everthing....first impression is that transmission is better than in past..
Old 05-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Members

One detail question - what are the actual SAT voice commands? Do you specify a preset number? Station name?

Also - does anyone know if you can use voice commands to control the new NAV buttons (on the left)?

I recently had my 545 upgraded to 16.2 (actually, invoice says 16.3). I like it overall, but still no RDS (I have NAV), and iDrive boot time is still very slow for me.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='May 18 2005, 11:06 AM
When I mute on CD, the CD stops ? no more time on that track.? Then turn off engine, remove key.? Start stop watch on wrist.? Insert key and restart engine.? After accepting disclaimer (US SPEC remember) go to entertainment screen and CD has just started back up (time counting from where it was stopped when engine turned off. Of course, no audio now until I press mute again.? So I believe mine is working pretty close to as intended.? Just questionable about why the CD should start up again when the software recognizes the mute status.? Small issue for me ? and an improvement over what I had going in.? ?
That CD keeps playing issue is my only bitch about the my CIP 16.1 upgrade. Phone book transfer on BT is now instant. EG. I changed a colleague's phone number on my RAZR and as soon as I looked in the address book in the car it was changed. It used to take ages before.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:35 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='May 18 2005, 09:19 PM
[quote name='cobradav' date='May 18 2005, 11:06 AM'] When I mute on CD, the CD stops ? no more time on that track.? Then turn off engine, remove key.? Start stop watch on wrist.? Insert key and restart engine.? After accepting disclaimer (US SPEC remember) go to entertainment screen and CD has just started back up (time counting from where it was stopped when engine turned off. Of course, no audio now until I press mute again.? So I believe mine is working pretty close to as intended.? Just questionable about why the CD should start up again when the software recognizes the mute status.? Small issue for me ? and an improvement over what I had going in.? ?
That CD keeps playing issue is my only bitch about the my CIP 16.1 upgrade. Phone book transfer on BT is now instant. EG. I changed a colleague's phone number on my RAZR and as soon as I looked in the address book in the car it was changed. It used to take ages before.
[snapback]130264[/snapback]
[/quote]
Now I had 16.2 for two weeks, and today the whole system broke down. Now I have no radio, no phone no NAV. Just a screen with three flashing letters... BMW. I don't know if it was because of 16.2 or if it had happend anyway. But it's really annoying. The car is going to the dealer this friday, then we'll know whats going on...
Old 05-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Sounds like the computer crashed try holding down the volume knob, and two eject buttons for nav and cd. It may fix the problem
Old 05-18-2005, 02:47 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='May 18 2005, 11:37 PM
Sounds like the computer crashed try holding down the volume knob, and two eject buttons for nav and cd. It may fix the problem
[snapback]130351[/snapback]
Thanks, but I've done that a couple of times..
Old 05-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ipp' date='May 18 2005, 04:47 PM
[quote name='zippers525' date='May 18 2005, 11:37 PM']Sounds like the computer crashed try holding down the volume knob, and two eject buttons for nav and cd. It may fix the problem
[snapback]130351[/snapback]
Thanks, but I've done that a couple of times..
[snapback]130355[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sounds like the problem I had. At that time I had v13.3. BMW had to replace the CCC. It was a HW error, the CCC crashed... Now I have a new CCC and v 16.2 and so far so good.
Good luck!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='May 18 2005, 02:06 PM
7) Parking lights come on and stay on once in a while when either the drivers or passengers door is opened and reclosed.? This seems to have occurred when several openings and closings have occurred in short succession.? Technician response ? Unable to duplicate at this time, Ck for faults tested to BMW specs.
Post non Fix:? Who knows?? Had happened about four times and seems to happen when I am checking something else out and I open trunk, then a door or two, or open the doors an both sides a couple of times in quick succession.? I get rid of the parking lights on by opening and closing any door (including trunk) one more time.? ?
[snapback]130214[/snapback]
The way to duplicate that issue (at least with version 13.3) is to park the car with the keys in the ignition and the headlight switch set to auto. Don't touch the car or open anything until the car goes to sleep (16 minutes or so). On 13.3, the driver's door will cause the lights to come on and go off but if you open the trunk or another door first, the parking lights will remain on until you open the driver's door. It sounds like they made some progress on this bug with 16.2 but they didn't get it 100%...