E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My experience with my car and the Sprint Booster v2

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528xi
Default My experience with my car and the Sprint Booster v2

Hi all,

So I've read a lot about the Sprint Booster on these forums, and finally decided to try it out for myself. But before I get into my quick review, I should mention a few things so you can context it correctly.

My car and what I wanted in my purchase

I have a 2008 528xi with about 125,000 km on it. Of the reasons why I bought it, there are a few major ones: 1) I've never owned any car that was even half-nice before, and being in later half of my 30's, decided it was time to drive something suitable for a "big boy", 2) I live in a "snow-belt" area in Canada, so all-wheel drive was important to me and 3) I needed a car that could be family functional and comfortable for road trips.

The type of car enthusiast I am
I'm not really into a full-out modding my car, and by no means am I a mechanic or automotively inclined guy, but I like to get out simple tools every now and then. There's something very cathartic about the experience after I spend my day working a 9-to-5 office job. So most of what I've done to my car is either out of necessity, or maintenance upgrades, or because it was an easy aesthetic job that gave me something to do while the wifey was in the garden! So far:
  • painted out the kidneys in black (leaving the chrome ring around the outside)
  • painted out the ugly silver bar in the lower grille in black
  • changed out my side markers for LED ones because the original side markers were pretty dull
  • bought a set of 17" Beyern Mesh (chrome with black spokes) because my original rims were pretty soft and really warped (I stuck with 17" because it was priced right and it doesn't really make my car less "family" looking)
  • put in a K&N air filter because I needed a new filter and felt that the maintenance cycle fit my needs
  • jumped my MOST network in my trunk so I'd have a working radio because I soaked the TPM, PDC and Bluetooth under my spare tire with a tipped bottle of washer fluid! My iPod aux was fried too, so I bought a Tunelink bluetooth transmitter, and couldn't be happier with getting back the music functionality I missed by spending only $100
  • tinted my windows 30% all around to keep the car cool since I park outdoors at work

So really, I haven't done anything to really enhance the performance of my car, but to enhance my already comfortable experience (if that makes any sense).

Finally, I decided it was time to do something minor performance related. I chose to put in a Sprint Booster because I was disappointed by the lag of the gas pedal. I don't ever really drive fast or hard, but I didn't like the spongy feel of the gas. So I ordered one through bimmian.com because they're a good Canadian distributor, and I wouldn't have to pay exorbitant shipping or duty on my purchase. I've bought most of my stuff from them, and have been nothing but very pleased. If you're in Canada, give them a try.

Anyway, back to the Sprint Booster. It was an easy install up to the point where I had to put my gas pedal back in. I realized that I couldn't tuck the entire thing behind the pedal, so I kind of tucked it to the side with the main plug of the Sprint Booster sticking a bit over the pedal base. (I'll attach a picture later). It's in there tight and not moving, and there's just enough clearance for a fully depressed pedal.

I took the car out for a test run on the "green" setting, and my drive required me to slow down around roundabouts and speed back up to 90 km in the straight. Nothing too crazy, but enough to test if I could feel anything.

I don't claim to know a lot about sport driving, but I can say that my perceived feel of the car is much different, in a great way. There's a lot more low end growl because of the RPMs, but the car feels more responsive. And to those who say you can get the same experience from just mashing the pedal, that's really not the case. Now I don't have to mash the pedal to get that "mashed" feeling. And I "think" that there's less delay between my pedal push and the car responding; something I could never get rid of with mashing. It really does inspire a more confident drive.

Was it worth the $300? Should I have spent the money on a JuiceBox? The answers are "depends" and "no". Like I said, I don't want to get into full out modding my car because in the end, it's a daily driver that's meant to be a family transporter. Nothing too crazy. Despite my very utilitarian goals, the Sprint Booster adds just enough fun to my driving experience. Worth it for me while on a family road trip, or driving to the garden store!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

Great review, now my question is.. how is the sprint booster in comparison with DS driving mode? When I'm driving in DS mode my car is much more responsive..
Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi

Originally Posted by rob2388
Great review, now my question is.. how is the sprint booster in comparison with DS driving mode? When I'm driving in DS mode my car is much more responsive..
ill like to know the same
Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg

Sammy,

Nice post! thanks for taking your time and paiting a complete picture of what your goals are with your vehicle. I would have to say mine are also along these same lines. I have a 550i so the car as it is has a ton of power and is very fun to drive (after I used the resetting of the accelerator tip). I have been interested in a Sprint booster for the very same reasons, Basically just the lag that is felt everytime one of us e60 owners hits the gas. Mashing doesn't work for me because I feel like it is almost too agressive. Driving in DS mode for me does not change the throttle response, or the lag that I feel, it just shifts quicker, faster and rev's higher. well, I guess I better get one now....I'll post my experiences so all can compare notes. Cheers!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine White

Please do, because I'm thinking about getting sprint booster also. The lag is unacceptable in this type of car.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Guys,

I've had the Sprint Booster on 08 550i for about three months, and it does make quiet a difference.
My pedal lag was dreadful to point where it was down right dangerous to merge unto a fast pace freeway without "DS" mode engaged. How could BMW engineer the car like this just to get better EPA numbers??

After installing the Booster and resetting the transmission, in the green setting I could immediately tell I was driving a different machine. So I headed to the same fast moving freeway where you have to merge from a dead stop, and firmly planted the throttle in regular "D" mode, as a semi truck barreled down on me, to my surprise the lag was almost non existent, as the rpm screamed and I grinned from ear to ear say quietly to myself "my car is alive, my car is alive" as I extracted all the power from that burly V8 and watched the semi truck disappear in my rear view.

The red setting on the Booster is only for the brave(NO LAG AT ALL), which is why I default to it, the car rockets of the line with a sense of urgency Highway cruising in the red setting and triple digits speeds will be upon you in a snap.

A lot of the members say it's snake oil, but this snake oil works for me. The only time I will part with my Sprint Booster is when I'm selling my car.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

OP, since you have a 2008 528 with the N52 engine, you should have bought the BMS PowerBox for around the same price. It does the same throttle mapping as the SprintBooster. However, the PowerBox also adds HP and torque. Plus, there are different mapping selections to how much you want the throttle mapped or if you want the performance boost off or on.

BTW, the JuiceBox is only for the N54 turbo engines.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60

I had mine SB2 installed over the weekend ... I said I cant live without it
It clear the first legging from stop and it quick enough in freeway....
Had this to full fill the complain of my wife bout car legging
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 AM
New Members

Great reviews but how does the booster respond with a manual transmission on a 04 545?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

You guys know you can completely circumvent the need for the sprintbooster and get more results by doing the sport button mod right? I did it and it works. $20 worth of supplies. It changes the throttle, transmission and steering response. Better than DS..

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-meant-127596/

Quick Reply: My experience with my car and the Sprint Booster v2