E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My E60 is no bumper car mang!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have not got into a collision since i was 17, 16 yrs ago. My luck, the day i mailed my first car payment, the day my son turned 10 months, and on my way to get an Ardex/Teflon detail at my buddies shop, literally 1/4mile from the BMW dealership i picked it up from...this BS happens...UNREAL...

The culprit...sitting on heavy 19-20" chromes, and STOCK brakes...kid could not have been older than 25

5 O'clock traffic, bumper to bumber. So i'm on my right lane on my way to exit out of US1, the lady in front of me gets cut off by 2 cars following each other coming 2 lanes over from the middle lane, she has no choice but to slam her brakes- i keep ample distance, the Bimmer stops like nothing. WHAM! Somehow this fruit who was in the fast lane on this 3 lane highway, in less than a few hundred feet zig zagged over 4 lanes to get right up under my arse in traffic and was so close and so low he couldnt see what was in front of me. The collision was low speed but decent in force-my moonroof shade slid open halfway and my map light housing popped down.

Thankfully neither of us were injured. The Z made out much worse-bumper-bumper alignment caved in, smoke from a cracked radiator and he couldnt manage to crack his hood open, his passenger air bag depolyed, but not his drivers side-go figure.

Just made some phone calls today-holy moly...bumper on its lonesome far exceeds my deductible, will have to wait until monday to follow up with his insurance company once i have the police report. Plan on getting myself a few quotes from the spendiest of places nearby.

This just sucks though...last thing i want to be dealing with.

I was able to pop the bumper back into its seams, heck i needed to open my trunk, but the bumper inserts underneath are clearly damaged. Luckily the frame appears unscathed, but i did note i have some heatshield/exhaust rattle coming from underneath the car when the car is idling...hopefully its something minor like a loose hanger

Can someone kindly point me to the nearest time machine?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Premium, Adaptive Xenon, L7. Mods: Sprint Booster V1, 8000k GP Thunder Headlight, 8000k HID fogs, LED Interior, LED License Plate, Rear Red Reflectors Wish List: Mtech Kit, Style 172 Rims, KSport Coilovers, Shadowline Trim.

sounds like a good time to upgrade to Mtech or m5 rear??
Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

yup. time to upgrade to a different rear!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Damn .. It's not too bad. +1 on the mtech bumper, since his insurance is paying for it anyway.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Members

I suppose it depends on the insurance, if they are cutting me a check obviously gives me options. If he has same insurance as me, my luck, they'll only honor the OEM stuff.

The M-Tech rear looks hot and all, but i'm am SOOOOOOOOOO far from being able $$ to mod the car to where it wont look stupid. No drop, and oem 17's and all.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Since that fruit cake is footing the bill, a new bumper of your choice is in order. Maybe an RPI exhaust too, if you play your card right.

GL
Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Members

Are the M Tech glass or polyeurathane? Are there choices?What vendors or makes should i be looking at?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

why are you complaining???? i wish someone would give me a little love tap so i could get an mtech or m5 bumper lol
Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Members

LMAO...you guys are loco
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mannynj
Are the M Tech glass or polyeurathane? Are there choices?What vendors or makes should i be looking at?
It's polyurethane.

Originally Posted by bens1088
why are you complaining???? i wish someone would give me a little love tap so i could get an mtech or m5 bumper lol
Me too ..

Quick Reply: My E60 is no bumper car mang!! :(