E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My E60 was just Born!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='230022
Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='229420' date='Jan 25 2006, 10:00 AM
I'm getting real excited now. Just had to share this.

CVT Benhogan
Congrats CVT... you are picking up almost exactly 1 year after I did. Keep an eye on the weather.... it was freezing cold and snowy when I was there Feb. 20-28, 2005. Check out the link below to my ED Experience.

Have fun and have a bier for me!

Thanks. I'll start with an Augustiner for you!! One question. How difficult was it to drive in the snow you experienced or say 4 inches or less? I noticed you have the sports package. The train was a great idea.

CVT Benhogan
[/quote]
To be honest.... I think I freaked out for no reason. I was heading to Germany for the first time to pick up a brand new car with run flats in the winter. I did a ton of research on various routes to Paris from Munich that would avoid mountain passes as best as possible.

A week before we left the US... Europe got hit with a Siberian Blast. Temps were in the low 20s (F) and snow... everywhere. I was so afraid of getting stuck somewhere between Munich and Paris with my car and these summer run flats. I even looked into getting snow tires there... maybe taking chains just in case..... I really sort of over thought it.... but in my mind it was for a good reason. Who wants to wreck their brand new car... or get stuck?

What I found was snow everywhere except on the autobahn and other roadways. The Germans take very good care of their roads and they use SALT!

Where I did encounter unplowed snowy roads... like at the Delivery Center..... I just took it easy.

To answer your question about the run flats in the snow....... they are terrible, but they weren't designed for driving in the snow. Just be careful and use your head.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33' post='230079
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33' post='229905' date='Jan 26 2006, 12:16 PM
[quote name='CVTBenhogan' post='229420' date='Jan 25 2006, 10:00 AM']
I'm getting real excited now. Just had to share this.

CVT Benhogan
Congrats CVT... you are picking up almost exactly 1 year after I did. Keep an eye on the weather.... it was freezing cold and snowy when I was there Feb. 20-28, 2005. Check out the link below to my ED Experience.

Have fun and have a bier for me!

Thanks. I'll start with an Augustiner for you!! One question. How difficult was it to drive in the snow you experienced or say 4 inches or less? I noticed you have the sports package. The train was a great idea.

CVT Benhogan
[/quote]
To be honest.... I think I freaked out for no reason. I was heading to Germany for the first time to pick up a brand new car with run flats in the winter. I did a ton of research on various routes to Paris from Munich that would avoid mountain passes as best as possible.

A week before we left the US... Europe got hit with a Siberian Blast. Temps were in the low 20s (F) and snow... everywhere. I was so afraid of getting stuck somewhere between Munich and Paris with my car and these summer run flats. I even looked into getting snow tires there... maybe taking chains just in case..... I really sort of over thought it.... but in my mind it was for a good reason. Who wants to wreck their brand new car... or get stuck?

What I found was snow everywhere except on the autobahn and other roadways. The Germans take very good care of their roads and they use SALT!

Where I did encounter unplowed snowy roads... like at the Delivery Center..... I just took it easy.

To answer your question about the run flats in the snow....... they are terrible, but they weren't designed for driving in the snow. Just be careful and use your head.
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll be conservative and flexible on the travel plans, and will watch out for snow falling. Just hoping the run flats aren't twice as bad as regular tires.

CVT Benhogan
Old 01-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='230042' date='Jan 26 2006, 11:48 AM
Front wheel drive with all season tires!!!

Hummm FWD with all season tires... must be a Audi A4!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='230075' date='Jan 26 2006, 02:40 PM
You have purchased a real quality automobile with the finest computer tech,
for instance the DSC 8.0 (including ABS, ASC, DBC, EBV).

Driving in 4 inches of snow the problem will be your M specs (low suspension
and nice front spoiler).

Why didn't you get the 530xi?

Your 550i is not a 4WD but otherwise I suppose you can handle it.
If it is really slippery and the car only spins, take off the DSC but
remember that you have an 367 hp and 490 Nm strong car!
Actually note quite! Our 550s have "summer" tires on them and for those that have never driven a "summer" tire in the snow, let me tell you - you can't.

A friend of mine who refuses to purchase snow tires had his 545 at work the other day when we were hit with 5 inches of snow. For fun, they tried to go around the block. Got half way and turned aroud. He had to get a ride home that night. The car will not go on snow. The traction control, if left on, will just stop you from going period. If you can get moving, you can't stop. 1" step ups (like on a driveway) are impassable.

I've experienced this -so bad that I just picked up snow tires for my 550 even though I will really only need them for March of this year. I am that afraid.

CVT - rumor has it they give you a new car if you crack it up.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

About to order my first 5. Whats best - Titanium Silver or Silver Grey?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='230657' date='Jan 27 2006, 06:21 PM
About to order my first 5. Whats best - Titanium Silver or Silver Grey?

Welcome and Congrats

Both are nice but I favor silver grey. Its a popular color on the E60. IMHO the lighter colors on the E60 seem to be the best, although jet black can be sharp. Check out the gallery.

CVT Benhogan