E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My cup holders are perfect

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

You know those 20oz soda bottles.......................I got one stuck the other day. Easy to get it out, but had to use two hands. They really suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by cocogigio' date='Apr 1 2005, 12:45 AM
I guess I'm one of the fortunate few that has had no problem with the cupholders.? I use the drivers side cupholder every day with a variety of beverages with no problems.? Go figure?
[snapback]109650[/snapback]
Ever tried putting in an empty bottle? Mine countsdown from 5 and launches it.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Members

It's probably something that doesn't translate across the globe but my problem with the cupholder is that they exist at all! In the E60, unlike the E39 they just spoil the lines of the dash for me, I 've used neither but at least they were subtle in my old 5!

Maybe it's just me but if I want to drink I'll stop, get out the car and have a drink. If I want to drive I keep both hands on the wheel and drive. Follow the cupholder logic and soon I fear we may yet get factory fit options for toilet roll holders
Old 04-01-2005, 05:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Auto (Steptronic), Carbon Black, Aubern Dakota Leather, Media Pack (Bluetooth, ProNav, 6 CD Changer)

Originally Posted by MTRHEAD' date='Apr 1 2005, 02:26 PM
Maybe it's just me but if I want to drink I'll stop, get out the car and have a drink. If I want to drive I keep both hands on the wheel and drive.
Except when your fiffling with I drive to change radio channels etc..........
Old 04-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

mtrhead,

I agree with yourcomments re the UK. It is BMW GB in their infinite wisdom who decided to included these monstrosities as standard fit items. There are pics on the site (Andy545's car for example) which show how much better the dash looks without them. Why don't BMW GB give us the option to order them if we want them instead of forcing us to take them? I hope this will be one item of spec that is quietly switched to a cost option when the next round of changes or prices increases are made.

The aesthetic design issue of integrating them into the dash has been achieved much better in the new E90 3 series.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Well.... I don't eat in my car, but sometimes I do go drive to pick up lunch and take it back to the office to eat.

Invariably, I get a drink with my meal. Since I have an SMG, I prefer not to hold a drink while driving. I like to keep one hand on the wheel, and one on the shifter stick. (For some reason, I prefer the shifter to the paddles)

So holding a drink while I make the short trip requires a cupholder. Except, thanks to the BMW cupholders I have to drive with one hand on the wheel, and the other hand holding the drink in the cupholder. If I don't, then the drink tips over.

Good thing I have the paddles, huh? At least I can shift left handed. ha ha.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:58 AM
JDN
Contributors

IMO, paddles are faster than the shifter when going for a two-gears jump.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:04 AM
Members

>Except, thanks to the BMW cupholders I have to drive with one hand on the wheel, and the other hand holding the drink in the cupholder

Yeah, you may want to be careful with the one hand trick if you ever drive in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4203375.stm
Old 04-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Apr 1 2005, 08:05 AM
mtrhead,

I agree with yourcomments re the UK. It is BMW GB in their infinite wisdom who decided to included these monstrosities as standard fit items. There are pics on the site (Andy545's car for example) which show how much better the dash looks without them. Why don't BMW GB give us the option to order them if we want them instead of forcing us to take them? I hope this will be one item of spec that is quietly switched to a cost option when the next round of changes or prices increases are made.

The aesthetic design issue of integrating them into the dash has been achieved much better in the new E90 3 series.
[snapback]109802[/snapback]
It is amusing that nevertheless on the continent BMW imposes this nice stuff as obligatory for the most advanced BMW Individual Equipment 1...hehehe probably for the ultimate design line...
Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I find it interesting that my first 2005 545 had horible cup holder, but my new 2005 545's cup holders do a great job. I think the holder was re-designed mid year. Maybe the spring isn't as strong or the flap thing was moved. What ever was done, I no longer have any complaints with the holder.

Quick Reply: My cup holders are perfect