E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My car is so loud, other strange things happening, need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

About a week ago I got my car back from the body shop and since getting it back something has been bothering me. My car is extremely loud. It sounds like the radiator fan, but I'm not 100% sure. It comes on within one minute of my starting my car and stays on until I shut the car off. I know it wasn't this loud before it went into the shop.

To give you an idea of how loud it is, when im driving with my windows open on the highway I can hear it over wind/road noise and even music on a regular volume. My friend was standing directly in front my of car when it was on and I was standing next to the driver's door and he was unable to hear me speaking to him at all. If I have my windows closed and I'm driving I can hear it as well. I have no idea what could be causing this at all.

Some other strange things have been happening as well, unsure if they're related. My interior lights seem to flicker sometimes which is weird. I also got a message on my idrive that said "electrical system malfunction" and it said further driving is not possible, but I was driving and it came on and disappeared. I couldn't find it in control messages and haven't seen it since. The third and final weird thing is my drivers window's malfunctioned the other night for a few minutes. I got a message on the idrive and although I can not recall what it said, it was something to the effect of a malfunction and disabling of the feature that allows you to one touch click your window button to close it because there was a malfunction with the safety mechanism that keeps it from closing when it's blocked.

Hope one of you guys has an answer for me, this is really strange. I have to commute to class 4 days a week so i cant stop driving the car, however I'm getting somewhat worried.

-Ron
Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Go back to the body shop esp if this was related to an accident. they will contact the insurance company and amend the quote that was used to fix the car originally. If you got a rental before they should be able to get you another.

Oh turn off the ac. with the car cold start the car, any noise? Turn on the ac, noise now? See anything rubbing, or hear where the noise is coming from, with the hood open?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rons e60
Hey guys,

About a week ago I got my car back from the body shop and since getting it back something has been bothering me. My car is extremely loud. It sounds like the radiator fan, but I'm not 100% sure. It comes on within one minute of my starting my car and stays on until I shut the car off. I know it wasn't this loud before it went into the shop.

To give you an idea of how loud it is, when im driving with my windows open on the highway I can hear it over wind/road noise and even music on a regular volume. My friend was standing directly in front my of car when it was on and I was standing next to the driver's door and he was unable to hear me speaking to him at all. If I have my windows closed and I'm driving I can hear it as well. I have no idea what could be causing this at all.

Some other strange things have been happening as well, unsure if they're related. My interior lights seem to flicker sometimes which is weird. I also got a message on my idrive that said "electrical system malfunction" and it said further driving is not possible, but I was driving and it came on and disappeared. I couldn't find it in control messages and haven't seen it since. The third and final weird thing is my drivers window's malfunctioned the other night for a few minutes. I got a message on the idrive and although I can not recall what it said, it was something to the effect of a malfunction and disabling of the feature that allows you to one touch click your window button to close it because there was a malfunction with the safety mechanism that keeps it from closing when it's blocked.

Hope one of you guys has an answer for me, this is really strange. I have to commute to class 4 days a week so i cant stop driving the car, however I'm getting somewhat worried.

-Ron
not sure about the fan noise but had a similiar situation with the electrical. after dropping my car off at the dealer they disconnected my battery they did not reconnect it properly..
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

wow man that thing needs to go back to the shop that you picked it up at asap before they think this is a separate issue and try to charge you to fix these things