E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car says it is overheating please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I have a 2005 e60 and the display tells me to pull over due to overheating after about 5 minutes of driving, but when i pull over, the car isnt even hot. I even had it checked with a diagnostic machine and it says the coolant is at 127 degrees. I just changed the thermostat and housing and flushed the whole cooling system and it still says it is overheating. If anyone know what is causing this, please help me out.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DANNYAAW' post='1072564' date='Dec 12 2009, 12:06 PM
I have a 2005 e60 and the display tells me to pull over due to overheating after about 5 minutes of driving, but when i pull over, the car isnt even hot. I even had it checked with a diagnostic machine and it says the coolant is at 127 degrees. I just changed the thermostat and housing and flushed the whole cooling system and it still says it is overheating. If anyone know what is causing this, please help me out.
If you've confirmed the car is not overheating it may be the temperature sensor that has failed - but there may be more than one of them. Dealer diagnostics can usually pinpoint these problems without resorting to replacing parts that have not failed or performing unnecessary services.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by DANNYAAW' post='1072564' date='Dec 12 2009, 11:06 AM
Where was coolant pooled from to check on a "diagnostic machine"? How was this done? If coolant isn't circulating, then exterior coolant could be cool and the coolant in the block could be overheating due to no circulation.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

Have you check the Fan?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Senior Members

I had this problem before. Dealership replaced the waterpump under warranty.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

nice job, rains to much on our little island or i would do the same.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi, Silver, Black Int, Cold Weather Package, Front, side and rear M kit

I just went out for a quick drive (wife wanted to look at Christmas lights). I wasn't driving for 5 minutes when I got an engine overheat warning and it told me to drive moderatly. 2 minutes later the car told me to shut down right away that the engine had overheated. I pulled over and chilled for about 15 minutes. I started back home and got the first warning then the next to shut down. I pulled over again and waited about 10 minutes then drove the quarter of a mile home.

One thing we both noticed right before the warning came on is that the heater was blowing cold air. I palyed with the iDrive turning up the red blocks on the climate setting but eventually just turned the air off.

I have never had this problem, and there was no puddle in the garage when I got home. Any suggestions as to what happened? I'm going to let the engine cool completely overnight and take a look at the coolant level in the am. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by General216' post='1073144' date='Dec 13 2009, 06:54 PM
I just went out for a quick drive (wife wanted to look at Christmas lights). I wasn't driving for 5 minutes when I got an engine overheat warning and it told me to drive moderatly. 2 minutes later the car told me to shut down right away that the engine had overheated. I pulled over and chilled for about 15 minutes. I started back home and got the first warning then the next to shut down. I pulled over again and waited about 10 minutes then drove the quarter of a mile home.

One thing we both noticed right before the warning came on is that the heater was blowing cold air. I palyed with the iDrive turning up the red blocks on the climate setting but eventually just turned the air off.

I have never had this problem, and there was no puddle in the garage when I got home. Any suggestions as to what happened? I'm going to let the engine cool completely overnight and take a look at the coolant level in the am. Has this happened to anyone else?

Is it safe to keep overheating your engine like that? Would BMW warranty an engine that had been driven despite the overheating warnings?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by General216' post='1073144' date='Dec 13 2009, 08:54 PM

General216,

This is all speculation, but it certainly sounds exactly like my situation. Try this: when the engine has been off for a good amount of time (a few hours), open your overflow cap and leave it off. Start the car (make sure it doesn't give the overheat message, if it does, then turn off immediately), and watch for about 5 minutes. How many minutes can your car stay on just idling in a parking spot from cold without driving it anywhere? If you get backflow of coolant (a lot of it), I would suspect that your water pump went out like mine, or you have a stuck thermostat.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='1072730' date='Dec 12 2009, 08:43 PM
Have you check the Fan?
yes

Quick Reply: my car says it is overheating please help