E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My Car is new again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Well I picked up my car yesterday. The smile is back on my face. The changes in performance are incredible. I will list changes in order of importance to me.

Apparently, CIP 16.2 burnt out the telephone module in three 7 series at my dealership. I am sure it has no issues with the E60, but they got nervous and loaded CIP 16.1 back on the machines. So that is what I got. Preliminary diagnostics showed some errors. These were all obviously fixed with the new upgrade.

With new oil and the standard scope the engine revs so effortlessly again and feels silky smooth.

New tires.- I still have Dunlop RFs. The roar is gone and the grip is back. Wow!

Creaking doors- No new seals yet. They cleaned and re-lubed them. Creaks gone for now at least

New NAV with perspective. The icons on the right of the map are very welcome. Voice command was always an option but now the quick icons make the interface even better. I am thankful that I can remove the rash of knives and forks on the map. I really do not think the lost real estate is a problem. 555 is, I am sure in the minority, or alone on his dislike for these changes.

Minor changes noticed.
Parked car Ventilation times can now be set with the 12hr clock.

I have not tested the BT improvements. Echo is still there if the volume is loud.

I lost my NAV address book. Bit of a pain.

I had to request the handbrake to be adjusted by a couple of notches.

Somethings will take some time to ascertain like auto headlight sensitivity phone voice quality and I-drive reliability. Will keep you all posted.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Congratulations, Hormazd. How many miles did you get out of the old tires?
Old 04-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Apr 24 2005, 12:43 PM
Congratulations, Hormazd.? How many miles did you get out of the old tires?
[snapback]119487[/snapback]
10,700 miles. Based on what I learned here, I actually made my case before I hit the 10K mark to make sure that the swap was approved. Lets hope the roar doesn't come back within another 10,000 miles.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

The new tires make all the difference...congrats!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 24 2005, 03:02 PM
Well I picked up my car yesterday.? The smile is back on my face.? The changes in performance are incredible.? I will list changes in order of importance to me.

Apparently,? CIP 16.2 burnt out the telephone module in three 7 series at my dealership.? I am sure it has no issues with the E60,? but they got nervous and loaded CIP 16.1 back on the machines.? So that is what I got.? Preliminary diagnostics showed some errors.? These were all obviously fixed with the new upgrade.?

With new oil and the standard scope the engine revs so effortlessly again and feels silky smooth.

New tires.-? I still have Dunlop RFs.? The roar is gone and the grip is back.? Wow!

Creaking doors-? No new seals yet.? They cleaned and re-lubed them.? Creaks gone for now at least

New NAV with perspective.? The icons on the right of the map are very welcome.? Voice command was always an option but now the quick icons make the interface even better.? I am thankful that I can remove the rash of knives and forks on the map.? ? I really do not think the lost real estate is a problem.? 555 is,? I am sure in the minority, or alone on his dislike for these changes.

Minor changes noticed.

I have not tested the BT improvements.? Echo is still there if the volume is loud.?

I lost my NAV address book.? Bit of a pain.

Somethings will take some time to ascertain like auto headlight sensitivity phone voice quality and I-drive reliability.? Will keep you all posted.
[snapback]119478[/snapback]
Hormazd,

just how big an improvement are the tires?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 24 2005, 09:02 PM
Well I picked up my car yesterday.?? The smile is back on my face.? The changes in performance are incredible.? I will list changes in order of importance to me.

New tires.-? I still have Dunlop RFs.?? The roar is gone and the grip is back.?? Wow!

Creaking doors-?? No new seals yet.?? They cleaned and re-lubed them.? Creaks gone for now at least

Why didn't you go for the Bridgestones ?

I too have the creaking doors...who doesn't ..... but as CarbaFlo is only a temporary solution I insisted on new modified door rubbers which have been ordered .
Old 04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:05 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 24 2005, 03:02 PM']Well I picked up my car yesterday.?? The smile is back on my face.? The changes in performance are incredible.? I will list changes in order of importance to me.

Apparently,? CIP 16.2 burnt out the telephone module in three 7 series at my dealership.?? I am sure it has no issues with the E60,? but they got nervous and loaded CIP 16.1 back on the machines.?? So that is what I got.?? Preliminary diagnostics showed some errors.? These were all obviously fixed with the new upgrade.??

New tires.-? I still have Dunlop RFs.?? The roar is gone and the grip is back.?? Wow!

Creaking doors-?? No new seals yet.?? They cleaned and re-lubed them.? Creaks gone for now at least

New NAV with perspective.? The icons on the right of the map are very welcome.?? Voice command was always an option but now the quick icons make the interface even better.?? I am thankful that I can remove the rash of knives and forks on the map.? ? I really do not think the lost real estate is a problem.?? 555 is,? I am sure in the minority, or alone on his dislike for these changes.

Minor changes noticed.

I have not tested the BT improvements.?? Echo is still there if the volume is loud.?

I lost my NAV address book.?? Bit of a pain.

Somethings will take some time to ascertain like auto headlight sensitivity phone voice quality and I-drive reliability.?? Will keep you all posted.
Hormazd,

just how big an improvement are the tires?
[snapback]119765[/snapback]
[/quote]
The car is improved in so many ways. The power is back, the engine sings again. I never had a problem with the tires at delivery, I think the Dunlops are fine. I had them reduce the tire pressure from 45R 38F to 38R 35F. The noise is gone, I have better grip and the steering seems to be lighter. All symtoms of new rubber. What can I say other than the car drives like new again. In short, over the worn roaring RFs, the new tires are a huge improvement.

I can verify that I drive seems more stable, boot up time is still 10 seconds, AutoLights work perfectly now.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mhoutman' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:09 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 24 2005, 09:02 PM']Well I picked up my car yesterday.?? The smile is back on my face.? The changes in performance are incredible.? I will list changes in order of importance to me.

I too have the creaking doors...who doesn't ..... but as CarbaFlo is only a temporary solution I insisted on new modified door rubbers which have been ordered .
[snapback]119766[/snapback]
[/quote]
I am not sure that the Bridgestones are better. The RF Dunlops are great tires and very quiet. Now if only they stay this way. I have every reason to believe that these will not wear prematurely. I guess we will see. I have a great relationship with my dealer and its a two way street. They approved a new set of tires and would have had to do additional work to get Bridgestones.

Door Seals I had been applying CarboFlo to no avail. I think the key was to clean the seals and re-apply. If the creaks return, which I am sure they will, I will have new seals put in. They do not have any right now as they are on a national back-order.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Members

What originally happened with your tires? Did they become noisy and seem to not handle right.

I have the original dunlop RF's with about 8000 miles on them and they are now very noisy. The car also seems to want to pull to the left at times. I think it is tire related.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I'm so soo glad to hear that the creaking door rubber is common to most of you. I was a bit upset to hear such a noice while my car ws brnad new, later I fugured out it was the rubber sealing on the door. I think I will put some greas or something on it.

Also, anyone know a good BMW tuning place in Europe? Multimedia and some performance? Thnks

Originally Posted by mhoutman' date='Apr 25 2005, 12:09 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 24 2005, 09:02 PM']Well I picked up my car yesterday.?? The smile is back on my face.? The changes in performance are incredible.? I will list changes in order of importance to me.

[snapback]119766[/snapback]
[/quote]

Quick Reply: My Car is new again.