E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car nearing 100k mi..

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

title says..

i have maintenance warranty until 100k, i am at 97,8xx mi now. i got it used but high mileage. so far problems i had was minor
electronics (failure/error that was fixed): restraint failure, light module (eyebrows not lighting), new battery.
current problem: can not do ipod retrofit. some part is bad.

everything else car is on shape. however ive seen post that guys had their car went dead suddenly.

my options.. well this car is financed to own. my mistake, its my first bmw i shouldve leased. so should i trade it in before it hits 100k?
or should i just keep it and cross my fingers that hopefully.. nothing expensive will break soon after 100k.

any input i would really appreciate it. thanks guys!!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Contributors

My personal opinion i would say keep it if the car is paid off. If not i would get another vehicle. If the car is paid off your only left with doing schedule maintenance. If the car is not paid off it would be expensive to do both, payment and maintenance in the long run.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by qtrxist' post='876126' date='May 12 2009, 11:10 AM
title says..
i have maintenance warranty until 100k, i am at 97,8xx mi now. i got it used but high mileage. so far problems i had was minor
electronics (failure/error that was fixed): restraint failure, light module (eyebrows not lighting), new battery.
current problem: can not do ipod retrofit. some part is bad.
everything else car is on shape. however ive seen post that guys had their car went dead suddenly.
my options.. well this car is financed to own. my mistake, its my first bmw i shouldve leased. so should i trade it in before it hits 100k?
or should i just keep it and cross my fingers that hopefully.. nothing expensive will break soon after 100k.
any input i would really appreciate it. thanks guys!!
Your maintenance and repair costs for any car will increase as you top 100k miles - BMWs are no exception. However, in perspective your car has been driven about 20K / year - not what I'd consider high mileage. As for depreciation, any car with 100K miles will be considered high mileage. So, the resale or trade value will be low compared to the replacement price for a new one - though new car prices are feeling some pressure.

Here's my recommendation - if you like your car and consider the cost of repair and maintenance projected over the next 2-3 years and weight that against the cost to replace it ... do the math. Even if you spend $3000 for repair and maintenance over the next 3 years ... could you trade and replace your car for the same money? ? If you are concerned about major failure of motor or transmission - are there any tell tale signs now ?? Evaluate risks and decide.

Nice or newer is great ... not spending all of your disposable $$'s to have nice or new is better. You have to make the decision about what drives you and what you drive!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Contributors

What exactly are tell tale signs of a major motor or transmission failure?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

Sounds like you have a good car...I'd say keep it. Even if you drop 2-3k in repairs over the course of the next 3 years, you're still driving a very nice car that you OWN!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Im keeping mines till the wheels fall off =] 46,xxx miles after this i will get a lease but still keep my e60, so keep yours
Old 05-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

100k miles is nothing.

We're at 101.000 miles now and the car is so smooth. Keep it and changes the oil, brakes etc, when needed.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I would be hesitant to keep it after 100,000 miles, I personally had a BAD experience with a BMW after the warranty had expired, and it was NOT pretty!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='876239' date='May 12 2009, 09:46 AM
I would be hesitant to keep it after 100,000 miles, I personally had a BAD experience with a BMW after the warranty had expired, and it was NOT pretty!
Smile Now, Cry Later....lil puppet...

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Now that you are at 100K, the car is obviously still running well, if are trying to decide whether or not to sell. Run that baby 'til the wheels fall off! You can't buy anything near that is better for the price. You also can't get the value it is worth to you in trade or private sale. When it is getting too expensive to run, in three years or so, sell it and buy a new one. Just keep maintaining it as carefully as you have under warranty. It will serve you well.

Quick Reply: my car nearing 100k mi..