E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My car just drinked a second liter of engine oil!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car as done about 6000km's and no oil used so far.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

16K w/o oil issues.

Bring it to the dealer ASAP.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Thanks for the replies,

First of all I'd like to state that I broke-in the engine in the same method specified by the owner's manual. For the first 2500 km (that is 500 km+), I varied the engine speed, never passed 4500 rpm or 160 km/h. Afterwards, I drove the car to the maximum for sometime with repetitive kickdowns.

My overall drving style is a little bit heavy on the accelerator, but compared to a friend of mine who bought his car (525i) two days after mine, you can consider me an angel . This friend got 240 km/h after 1000 km of use only, and is always kicking down, and at 8000 km he hasn't topped the oil yet.

I took my car to the dealer yesterday, they told me that they think that this might be normal due to the engine breaking in, and that my car by 10,000 km should not consume any more oil.

I don't believe that :thumbsdown: . I think that 2 litres of oil at 5900 km is too much even for breaking in the engine .

I am scheduled to receive my car today after the dealer checks for any leakages, I will keep you updated on the results.

Thanks and regards,

Shebs
Old 09-20-2005, 02:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

I received my car from the dealer yesterday. They said that they can't find anything wrong with the engine. They say it just the break-in period that should consume a lot of oil, then it should stabilize.

They told me that they are going to change the oil at 10,000 km. Afterwards I should not experience any decrease in oil except at longer intervals, like 10,000 km for example, and that would be normal due to my aggressive driving style.

I need your opinion on this guys . Am I being deceived by BMW or is there some truth to what they are saying?
Old 09-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Senior Members

My ride didn't consume any oil until I voluntarily changed it at 5000Km. I check dipstick fortnightly and I don't see any oil excessive oil consumption even till I went in for my first servicing at 14000km (a little early).

I am now almost at 18000km and the oil level is still stable.

I am not one of those who drive their cars like they're out for a stroll. I'm actually quite lead footed most of the time.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

No oil added in 12,000 miles. No oil added in my '99 540 between scheduled changes in over 100,000 miles. Sounds like you need a new engine.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mflauer' date='Sep 20 2005, 03:34 PM
No oil added in 12,000 miles. No oil added in my '99 540 between scheduled changes in over 100,000 miles. Sounds like you need a new engine.
[snapback]172641[/snapback]
If it proves that the engine is defective, do I have the right to replace my car with a new one? I really don't want to disassemble every part in my car to get a new engine .
Old 09-20-2005, 07:07 AM
JDN
Contributors

Shebs, I would be uncomfortable with the answers that your dealer has given. Based on my experience, if broken in as you say your was, there should be no oil usage. Hard driving does not cause my to use oil. I put it on the track and drove the devil out of it wo using any oil.

Go along with the dealer's suggestions, but if you continue to use oil before 10.000 km, stay on the dealer's case.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, sport, premium, nav, active cruise, shades

I spoke with a BMW technician yesterday concerning some other issues I am experiencing with my car and in the course of the conversation he informed me that the 530i would consume roughly a quart of oil every 750 miles. That's not a typo, nor did I misunderstand him as we had an in depth conversation about this follow that statement.....I was astonished to find this out. He said something about the way the valves operate on the 3.0 liter engines. He said the 3.0 525 was not prone to do this nor were the other engines but the new 3.0 liter engines only. I told him I could not imagine any engine using a quart of oil every 750 miles unless there was something wrong with it.
What do you guys think....any truth to this???
Old 09-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Sep 20 2005, 12:32 PM
...They say it just the break-in period that should consume a lot of oil, then it should stabilize.

... and that would be normal due to my aggressive driving style.

[snapback]172617[/snapback]
NOPE!

Never heard of any other E60 consuming that much oil.

There is something wrong!

I am driving my 545 so agressive, I have a worse fuel consumption than BMW states for the Emmy. No oil added, no oil problem, and I've done 16000 Km's/10000 miles. Well, on a V8 of course, but I never heard of any other E60 driver with a problem like that.
But I do know a Golf driver who's having such a problem...

Quick Reply: My car just drinked a second liter of engine oil!!