E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My car got keyed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010 | 07:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Sorry for this thread but I need to vent and ask for advice on how to cover up some minor key-ing.

So I'm a little late for work and pull into my parking spot kind of fast and forgot about the front little curb and ran my front splitter into it. I go to check and find it cracked (great...) then on my way around the other side of the car I found that someone keyed their initials into my door... WTF!!! I seriously sat in my car cussing out loud and I don't get mad over very many things. It was probably the culmination of my cracked splitter, keyed car, and parking ticket the prior morning. The crack is pretty minor and the keyed part is only about 3-4 square inches but still, who does this kind of thing?! I don't park like a jackass, drive like a jackass, or anything of that sort.

That being said, is there a way I can get it fixed without repainting my entire door? Not sure if I can buff part of it out or try to touch it up but I don't want to make it worse. Sigh...
Old 02-18-2010 | 07:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Sorry to hear that man. I don't have any good advice for you, but wanted to let you know that I feel your pain.
There are some friggin animals out there that just want to mess with people. Rest assured that 'karma' will take care of the animal that keyed your car.

Good luck...
Old 02-18-2010 | 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

If the scratches aren't too deep find a good detailer and he can probably take care of them.

Many years ago I worked in a BMW shop that also sold Jaguars. One of the techs was putting a hood ornament on a Jag and his screw driver slipped through all the color coats and into the primer. There was an old guy that detailed cars there and using a combination of touch up paint and wax he completely took care of the scratch. I don't know of anyone anymore that can do this but I'm sure there are folks out there that can.
Old 02-18-2010 | 08:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Some people can be real scum, bro... hang in there - sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, AFAIK there's really no going around deep scratches - if you want it to look perfect, you have to paint. Sorry for the bad news. If you have vandalism insurance, this may be a bit of a blessing in disguise if you play your cards right though. Good Luck! Don't let this sh!t get to you though
Old 02-18-2010 | 08:28 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

oh man sorry to hear ross. hurt my soul too!
Old 02-18-2010 | 09:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Thanks guys, I need to find a good detailer in the area. I know of a few but they are mucho expensive!!!
Old 02-18-2010 | 10:59 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

sorry to hear that. U'll need someone with the expertise to "touch it up" but it'll never be 100%. Maybe 80 to 90%

I had someone keyed my car all around. Ended up painting the entire car so it perfectly matches. If damage is a few hundred dollars, cough it up. Over $2K, use your comprehensive. My insurance company gave me $2600 minus $500 deductible for front and rear bumper, passenger side doors, fenders, rear quarter panels, hood, and trunk. They didnt key my driver side doors or roof which sucked since I had to fork more cash out to get those painted the right way. Insurance wouldn't cover the entire car cuz they said it's unneccessary and I didn't bother arguing.
Old 02-18-2010 | 11:01 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

Amazon Amazon

infomercial that's on right now.
Old 02-18-2010 | 11:02 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
For $10, it's worth a shot. I think RS Strauss and Auto Zone sells it for $15.
Old 02-18-2010 | 11:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

I had a pretty deep scratch on the trunk of my e34 M5 (still miss that car) and had it removed completely. The shop I took it to had a guy that did "wet sanding" I think that was the name of the technique. Perhaps you can ask your detailer? The shop is located in Newport Beach, very good detailer.

Quick Reply: My car got keyed...