E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car broke down today

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

My car broke down today

It?s been pretty cold here for a few days now, around some zero F.

Today I started my 7 700 miles driven car and drove to my local mall
and parked it in their warm parking garage.

After some 20 minutes of shopping I started the car up and run fine for some 100 yards
and then a warning sign came up ? Engine fault. Power reduced. ? or something like that.

Did try to start it up again but same warning came up and the engine died after a few seconds.
I could hear a strange ?weeeee?-sound as long as the engine run.
Luckily I was still in the warm garage!

So I called the BMW emergency number and in a half hour or so a tow truck came and loaded
my car on its pallet.

The tow truck driver took my to the airport (with the car on the pallet) before driving to my BMW dealer,
where a AVIS loaner was arranged for my (free).
So now I drive a black ?09 E-series Mercedes-Benz!?

BTW, the tow car driver told me that he had towed a number of BMW's in these few days, do to same kind of problems.
It may have something to do with some turbo valves?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Whoa, that's too bad Ric, hopefully it's nothing serious and your car is back in your hands in no time. In the meantime enjoy the loaner you got, here I would get stuck with a Ford Focus or something equally crappy
Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

could be a wastegate problem as the "weeee" sound you are describing could be caused by that...
Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='1074061' date='Dec 15 2009, 08:07 PM
could be a wastegate problem as the "weeee" sound you are describing could be caused by that...
I had also last week some strange problems with the car.

See https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=90462
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

Hope you get it sorted soon, it could have been worse if the turbo has gone i have read some horror stories. Enjoy the loaner but dont get ideas of straying....
Old 12-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Members

When I bought my Volvo S80 I did not want/trust the turbo models. I was right - nothing but troubles on those. When I replaced it with a BMW I held my ground and got a 528xi no turbos for me. Seems I was so right - again.
IMHO these are way too complex for me to deal with, and the risk vs "fun" is not a bet with good odds, especially here in NJ you really cant do too much hot roddin. I have my Vette for that.

I am old enough to remember the old days where you could fix just about anything in your driveway or on the road. NOW everything has to be done at the stealership and everything is a minimum of $1000.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

Short distance driving in cold weather can sometimes give some serious troubles in the crankcase.

It's a well known issue on the E39...
Old 12-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

That sucks, man. Hope it gets resolved quickly.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1074877' date='Dec 17 2009, 01:04 AM
That sucks, man. Hope it gets resolved quickly.
I will get my car back tomorrow.

At least a new SW will be downloaded and at this point the reason for the "weee"-sound
is that the fuel pump got icy diesel fuel.

Over here there's a "artic" diesel quality is sold during the winter months,
it may be that I have "only normal" diesel in my tank...

As I told you guys, it's around zero F (minus 10 - 20 C) now.

The M-B E-series suck.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='1075381' date='Dec 17 2009, 11:21 PM
I will get my car back tomorrow.

At least a new SW will be downloaded and at this point the reason for the "weee"-sound
is that the fuel pump got icy diesel fuel.

Over here there's a "artic" diesel quality is sold during the winter months,
it may be that I have "only normal" diesel in my tank...

As I told you guys, it's around zero F (minus 10 - 20 C) now.

The M-B E-series suck.
Damn Ric, that sucks.
Was the fuel pump damaged?

Quick Reply: My car broke down today