E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

my car broke down, help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='682768' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:42 AM
Did you check to make sure BOTH lights are working? Did you see them both on? That could be because of 2 things...

1) One of the lights is not installed properly

2) You need the resistors. HOWEVER, with those LED's, you're not supposed to need them. So that makes me think it's #1.

yup both of them was working fine, t really looked great last night but just this morning after starting the engine the monitor says "plate lights malfunction"
upon seing this i checked it again and it was fine, both of them were on so i thought it was ok and headed to work till the car broke down
Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Alpine White/Creme Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim; Premium pkg, Ipod USB (6FL), Xenons, sunroof, Eibach pro-kit 1.2" drop all around, limo tint all around. LED license plate festoons. Soon to come: M6 replica 19" rims, Angel Eyes mod, fog light mod.

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='673285' date='Sep 19 2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah those angel eye bulbs are a royal pain in the butt to install.
man ive been rockin my LEDs for like 2weeks now wihout resistors and never experienced ANYTHING like that except for iDrive error message. cant be from the lights
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

the bad thing about it is that i had the car for "two weeks"
its a CPO i thinks its ok, it has 36k miles on it, and i hope its not a bad car that would give me headaches
im really worried
Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by euro2nv' post='682779' date='Oct 1 2008, 07:58 PM
the bad thing about it is that i had the car for "two weeks"
its a CPO i thinks its ok, it has 36k miles on it, and i hope its not a bad car that would give me headaches
im really worried
Don't worry, but before your next non-OEM mode be more careful.

One should not mess with the E60's electrical system...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

ohh man that sucks?? could those lights have caused the battery to drain or something?? dosent seem like it but ill take a look at it asap

keep us posted
Old 10-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributors

dealership hasnt called yet
Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I and several others have the warning come up on the right rear plate light but it normally goes away after you put it in gear.

I've never heard of it causing the car to crap out. Also did you try flipping the bulbs around and then turning the lights on. That usually clears the error code up, except on the LCI's with the right hand side one which the warning goes away after a couple seconds.

What Model do you have, if it is a 535, I'm going coil pack or HPFP failure.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

sounds like it's a coincidence between the plate light bulbs and your engine/electrical issues IMO. I am assuming your car is pre-lci. Haven;t seen any members with pre-lci have issues with the LED lights from trinity, only LCI models. The LED's from trinity are plug and play, no resistors needed. I've read another thread where they used the festoon 9 led lights without resistors and all that did was blow a fuse and of course thro an error code. I hope it is something as simple as the battery. GL and keep us posted.

Gene

Just curious, what dealership is your e60 at?

***also, when you get the chance psot some info about your e60 somewhere, as it helps answer questions...
Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

No car should ever have such a severe problem related to the kind of bulb in the frigging plate lights...
Old 10-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='682831
sounds like it's a coincidence between the plate light bulbs and your engine/electrical issues IMO. I am assuming your car is pre-lci. Haven;t seen any members with pre-lci have issues with the LED lights from trinity, only LCI models. The LED's from trinity are plug and play, no resistors needed. I've read another thread where they used the festoon 9 led lights without resistors and all that did was blow a fuse and of course thro an error code. I hope it is something as simple as the battery. GL and keep us posted.

Gene

Just curious, what dealership is your e60 at?

***also, when you get the chance psot some info about your e60 somewhere, as it helps answer questions...
steve thomas camarillo

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='682836' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:09 AM
No car should ever have such a severe problem related to the kind of bulb in the frigging plate lights...
i know that, it should not affect the engine at all, i hope its really just a coincidence

Quick Reply: my car broke down, help please!