E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My car blew up, smoke everywhere!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I have a 2004 530i.

It has been good to me until last Friday.
When I was driving on the freeway smoke came out of the exhaust, and the car kind of vibrate or jerking when I'm not stepping on the gas pedal.
So I pulled over and turn my car off. After 5 min, I tried to start the car again, and lots of smoke came out of the engine bay.
The indicator on my dashboard said "Low engine oil, something something pressure"
I called my local auto shop have them towed to their shop. Before I got there I checked my engine oil, it was really low. My autoshop was suppose to change my engine oil few weeks ago. It was running about 8000 miles ever since, because they didn't change my engine oil. I even asked the boss if he changed my oil, he said I don't remember if we ever change you oil, I think we just change your door seal..(so he forgot to change my oil)
He opens up the engine cooler, it was bubbling, and the coolant kept coming out of the cooler. Seemed like it was boiling or something. He told me my car still have enough engine oil.

I went back today to check on my car, I pulled out my engine oil stick, it was much more than it was on friday, and he told me the car was fine.
I know something is wrong with the car, so I drove around and I could still feel the jerking or vibration from the wheel. It wasn't as bad, but I know it's there.

What could be the problem here? Do I need to buy a new engine?

any help would be cool, thanks!!

Jeff
Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Does your autoshop have experience w/ BMWs? It doesn't sound like it at all. I suggest for a problem like this, you take it to your nearest dealership.

It could be your radiator, water pump, maybe a bad head gasket. Most likely you won't need a new engine but please take it to someone who knows what they are doing instead of guessing.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by jenhaoyen
Hi guys, I have a 2004 530i.

It has been good to me until last Friday.
When I was driving on the freeway smoke came out of the exhaust, and the car kind of vibrate or jerking when I'm not stepping on the gas pedal.
So I pulled over and turn my car off. After 5 min, I tried to start the car again, and lots of smoke came out of the engine bay.
The indicator on my dashboard said "Low engine oil, something something pressure"
I called my local auto shop have them towed to their shop. Before I got there I checked my engine oil, it was really low. My autoshop was suppose to change my engine oil few weeks ago. It was running about 8000 miles ever since, because they didn't change my engine oil. I even asked the boss if he changed my oil, he said I don't remember if we ever change you oil, I think we just change your door seal..(so he forgot to change my oil)
He opens up the engine cooler, it was bubbling, and the coolant kept coming out of the cooler. Seemed like it was boiling or something. He told me my car still have enough engine oil.

I went back today to check on my car, I pulled out my engine oil stick, it was much more than it was on friday, and he told me the car was fine.
I know something is wrong with the car, so I drove around and I could still feel the jerking or vibration from the wheel. It wasn't as bad, but I know it's there.

What could be the problem here? Do I need to buy a new engine?

any help would be cool, thanks!!

Jeff
Old 06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

it happened to me on my old sunfire, exactly same on highway, but i didnt stop the car, the noise got louder, and car was vibrating, finally, it lost power and steering wheel got locked
got the car towed to autoshop and found out that one of the piston came out of engine block, so i needed a new engine
Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 08white
it happened to me on my old sunfire, exactly same on highway, but i didnt stop the car, the noise got louder, and car was vibrating, finally, it lost power and steeling wheel got locked
got the car towed to autoshop and found out that one of the pison came out of engine block, so i needed a new engine
sorry, couldnt type, i meant steering wheel and piston
Old 06-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Does your autoshop have experience w/ BMWs? It doesn't sound like it at all. I suggest for a problem like this, you take it to your nearest dealership.

It could be your radiator, water pump, maybe a bad head gasket. Most likely you won't need a new engine but please take it to someone who knows what they are doing instead of guessing.

Michael
Acute Performance
thanks Michael!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

It might be that your engine is overheating. Since your coolant is overflowing and boiling. It seems like your water pump has gone bad. It is shut close and the coolant cannot circulate thru the engine. Or it be a thermostat sensor going bad.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Members

Went to a BMW check up.

Here's the following things I have to change.

1. Water pump (did not pass the test)
2. Intake Manifold (The flap inside the manifold broke)
3. Radiator Cap
4. Transmission fluid gasket
5. Thermostat (broken)

2500 dollars!!!

I took my car back and went to http://www.bmrparts.com/
spend about 500 dollars, not sure how much the labor is going cost.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

ahah, I was right, GL
Old 06-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jenhaoyen
Went to a BMW check up.

Here's the following things I have to change.

1. Water pump (did not pass the test)
2. Intake Manifold (The flap inside the manifold broke)
3. Radiator Cap
4. Transmission fluid gasket
5. Thermostat (broken)

2500 dollars!!!

I took my car back and went to http://www.bmrparts.com/
spend about 500 dollars, not sure how much the labor is going cost.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010(60) BMW 520d SE, Manual, In Sophisto Grey with Cream/Black Interior and Piano Black trim

Good luck with that one! Doubt labour will be cheap for those jobs...

Quick Reply: My car blew up, smoke everywhere!!! help