E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My car arrived yesterday.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='391418' date='Feb 14 2007, 08:27 AM
Well, the long awaited day finally arrived yesterday, and my white 550i arrived without incident. The car is marvelous as expected, and of course, I'm elated. The weather could have been much better (a hard rain all day, followed by snow and ice this morning), so I havent really driven it much, but from the 30 miles I put on it, I do love the car.

Anyhow....to my questions. Having looked at this forum before, as well as being a "car enthusiast", I have always followed the advice with other new cars regarding a break in period, and I seem to recall a suggested "break in" of about 1200 miles on this car, keeping the engine running under 4k rpms and varying the speeds.

The sales guy, at the conclusion of our 60 minute meeting to review features, mentioned that "he'd spoken to the service tech advisor", who told them these cars were run hard before delivery and no longer required a "break in". I was really surprised by this, and was just curious about the collective wisdom of this board.

Secondly, after arriving at the office today (having to drive cautiously with the weather), I noticed a smell when standing outside the car. I think its the smell of the neoprene (?) burning out of the new engine. The car was also ticking a bit. Just to ease my ever running mind, those are both totally normal things, right?

Thanks, in advance. I'll follow with pictures (and my thoughts) as soon as the weather permits a good drive to occur, and photos to be taken.

- Pete
Congratulations on the car. As you drive it more, you will love it more!

My 550i had the smell you describe for about 2 days (that I noticed). The clicking noise when shut down after driving is identical to what I experienced. I always felt it was due to metal expansion/contraction and came primarily from the exhaust system. It doesn't seem to be as pronounced now as when the car was new.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='391446' date='Feb 14 2007, 10:28 AM
Though you may not trust it, there have been some dramatic advances in engine oil technology (eg synthetic) in recent years.

Sometimes, just sometimes, we can actually afford to "move with the times"...

ABC
To each his own. If you do a search the consensus is more people change their synthetic oil around the 7,500 miles rather than the 15,000 miles even if the technology is advanced.
I guess we are some what from the old school and fall some where in the middle. $80.00 isnot that much to pay at the dealer. I know it works for me with out the B/S and feel I get peace of mind doing so. Good luck in what ever you chose to do.
cheers
vern
Old 02-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

The advisor told be when I picked my car up 15 months ago that no break in was necessay either, not even a warm up...just push the button and go! I still took it easy the first 500 miles. Now I'm over 36K miles and have had no issues. I've had two free oil changes at 15K intervals and at 30K the break pads were replaced and thats it! I think as long as you don't go red lining it out of the gate these cars are pretty durable. I'm sure the climate in So. Cal. also helps.

Good luck with your White 550...sounds nice!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='391426' date='Feb 14 2007, 02:54 PM
I dunno about the neoprene smell, but I think the manual says to keep it under 100mph and under 4,000rpm for the first 1,000 miles. That's for the N52 engine, and may not be pertinent to the V-8.
Same is mentioned for the V8. I followed it to the letter.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='391418' date='Feb 14 2007, 03:27 PM
... these cars were run hard before delivery and no longer required a "break in". I was really surprised by this, and was just curious about the collective wisdom of this board.

Secondly, after arriving at the office today (having to drive cautiously with the weather), I noticed a smell when standing outside the car. I think its the smell of the neoprene (?) burning out of the new engine.

The car was also ticking a bit. Just to ease my ever running mind, those are both totally normal things, right?

- Pete
Congrats Pete

The cars are not breaked in and need some 1500 miles on careful driving!

The smell comes from new cars, some transportantion protection chemicals
burn off, that is normal.
But if the smell is really bad it means that the import company has not cleaned
the car good enough!

The ticking is also normal, heated iron cooling.

Be sure to post some pics soon.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOO much guys. I appreciate all the thoughts, the kind words and the official welcome.

I was planning to follow the suggested break in anyhow, but hearing all your thoughts at least makes me feel better that I'm not wasting my time.

I'll post pictures very very very soon - as soon as the lousy weather breaks!

Thanks again.......this is a great forum!

- Pete
Old 02-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

congrats enjoy the ride, what do you think? the " Ultimate Driving Machine".
Old 02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='391522' date='Feb 14 2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOO much guys. I appreciate all the thoughts, the kind words and the official welcome.

I was planning to follow the suggested break in anyhow, but hearing all your thoughts at least makes me feel better that I'm not wasting my time.

I'll post pictures very very very soon - as soon as the lousy weather breaks!

Thanks again.......this is a great forum!

- Pete
Pete, you are the lawguy, suit them if anything wrong! =)