E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My car arrived yesterday.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Well, the long awaited day finally arrived yesterday, and my white 550i arrived without incident. The car is marvelous as expected, and of course, I'm elated. The weather could have been much better (a hard rain all day, followed by snow and ice this morning), so I havent really driven it much, but from the 30 miles I put on it, I do love the car.

Anyhow....to my questions. Having looked at this forum before, as well as being a "car enthusiast", I have always followed the advice with other new cars regarding a break in period, and I seem to recall a suggested "break in" of about 1200 miles on this car, keeping the engine running under 4k rpms and varying the speeds.

The sales guy, at the conclusion of our 60 minute meeting to review features, mentioned that "he'd spoken to the service tech advisor", who told them these cars were run hard before delivery and no longer required a "break in". I was really surprised by this, and was just curious about the collective wisdom of this board.

Secondly, after arriving at the office today (having to drive cautiously with the weather), I noticed a smell when standing outside the car. I think its the smell of the neoprene (?) burning out of the new engine. The car was also ticking a bit. Just to ease my ever running mind, those are both totally normal things, right?

Thanks, in advance. I'll follow with pictures (and my thoughts) as soon as the weather permits a good drive to occur, and photos to be taken.

- Pete
Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='391418' date='Feb 14 2007, 08:27 AM
Well, the long awaited day finally arrived yesterday, and my white 550i arrived without incident. The car is marvelous as expected, and of course, I'm elated. The weather could have been much better (a hard rain all day, followed by snow and ice this morning), so I havent really driven it much, but from the 30 miles I put on it, I do love the car.

Anyhow....to my questions. Having looked at this forum before, as well as being a "car enthusiast", I have always followed the advice with other new cars regarding a break in period, and I seem to recall a suggested "break in" of about 1200 miles on this car, keeping the engine running under 4k rpms and varying the speeds.

The sales guy, at the conclusion of our 60 minute meeting to review features, mentioned that "he'd spoken to the service tech advisor", who told them these cars were run hard before delivery and no longer required a "break in". I was really surprised by this, and was just curious about the collective wisdom of this board.

Secondly, after arriving at the office today (having to drive cautiously with the weather), I noticed a smell when standing outside the car. I think its the smell of the neoprene (?) burning out of the new engine. The car was also ticking a bit. Just to ease my ever running mind, those are both totally normal things, right?

Thanks, in advance. I'll follow with pictures (and my thoughts) as soon as the weather permits a good drive to occur, and photos to be taken.

- Pete
The question of to breakin or not has been disused many times, with many different opinions. Some techs say yes, some say no. I had a similar dilema. At the end I opted to breakin the car for the first 1200 miles. I figuired it couldnt hurt anything to be cautious. As for the smell you are noticing, its totally normal, you will probablly smell this for the first couple of hundread miles or so. These cars are so great, that you shouldnt have a problem keeping her down for the first 1200 miles. Just think at the end of the breakin, it will feel like you got a new car all over again.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='391418' date='Feb 14 2007, 08:27 AM

- Pete
I dunno about the neoprene smell, but I think the manual says to keep it under 100mph and under 4,000rpm for the first 1,000 miles. That's for the N52 engine, and may not be pertinent to the V-8.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

brake in is essential if you plan on the long run Peter. Welcome and if they did it really it before braking in, then SEW them Stock 5er is a real lawyer's car
Old 02-14-2007, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

Your manual states the running-in period and other parameters (max revs, don't strain the engine etc etc). Stick with that rather than the hearsay of some guy who isn't even employed by BMW. It may even mean fewer visits to the SA. Maybe that's what the sales guy was trying to get to happen!

As for smell... it's the same on most new cars while volatile materials in contact with the hot exhaust components burn off.

ABC
Old 02-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Members

Ticking noise is normal. ITs actually a fluid dripping. Don't sound like it but thats what they told me the other day at the performance center.

My car had 1 mile on it.

At the factory tour they showed the cars get on a Platform and run to check for leaks. That is not a break in period.

They told me keep it under 4500 rpm, under 100mph, and vary the rpm's on the motor for 1200 miles.

This is for a 530i and it was all very easy to do. Plenty of power at the lower rpms to do what I want!

Avg 31mph on the highway going 70-80mph.

My car is a lease and I doubt whether I break in or not is going to matter, but Im gonna do it right anyway as not only do I want a proper break in, but I am just a steward for this car for 45k and somone else will enjoy it after me. This is my legacy!

Just kidding!

But Im gonna do it right! Who knows, maybe I buy it later?

At the dealer today getting its Ipod goodies!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi
Totally agree. If the manual says so, i do so. BMW surely knows better than any salesman.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='391428' date='Feb 14 2007, 09:10 AM
Your manual states the running-in period and other parameters (max revs, don't strain the engine etc etc). Stick with that rather than the hearsay of some guy who isn't even employed by BMW. It may even mean fewer visits to the SA. Maybe that's what the sales guy was trying to get to happen!

As for smell... it's the same on most new cars while volatile materials in contact with the hot exhaust components burn off.

ABC
Old 02-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='391428' date='Feb 14 2007, 09:10 AM

ABC
+ 1 The smell is cosmolean that they probably missed cleaning off around the muffler and tail pipe area at the VPC. As stated go by the break in period that is recommened in the manual in addition change your oil between 3000 and 5000 miles and every 7500 miles there after. Remember not to use cruise control for the first 1200 miles. I use that rule of thumb on the 4 bMW's I've owned and never used or burned any oil. On the last 2 I did ED I had the 5 up to 120mph and the X3 to 110 and both were under 4000 rpm. IMO the thing to do is make sure you vary your speed.Good luck and enjoy.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='391437' date='Feb 14 2007, 02:54 PM
...change your oil between 3000 and 5000 miles and every 7500 miles there after.... I use that rule of thumb on the 4 bMW's I've owned...
Though you may not trust it, there have been some dramatic advances in engine oil technology (eg synthetic) in recent years.

Sometimes, just sometimes, we can actually afford to "move with the times"...

ABC
Old 02-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) no matter the engine was run-in before delivery or not, the first 1,200 miles run-in is also for transmission, brakes, tires and "moving parts" to break in.

2) aybeesea was right, the smell and ticking noise could come from exhaust system and etc, not necessary from engine only.

Take it easy, 1,200 miles gone fast! I had over 1,200 miles before I got the license plate from DMV. I didn't say DMV is slow... =)

I also agree synthetic oil can handle more miles then you thought. My friend (she) had experiment on a kia for not changing oil for 100,000 miles and it worked! just add oil but not changing a drip of oil. The experiment were not using synthetic oil though, just dino oil. The engine break down after 40,000 more miles for no further service.

Quick Reply: My car arrived yesterday.......