E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005-12 E60 M5 :: Silverstone :: Silverstone Full Perforated Most extras bar climate comfort glass, there was even a detachable towbar in the boot weighing me down...what would anyone dream of towing with an M5, except maybe a fellow M5 owner with the Red Cog of Death!? Twin rear screens + PS2 + DVD :: Origin B2+laser detect :: Pentagon Security Glass Photos from my Nürburgring Trip and other random photos available on my website: www.scoopz.com
Smile

Hey guys (+girls) I thought you might get some amusement out of the following story (i posted over on a similar forum but thought I'd post here too) of damage caused to my M5 by a wild animal, probably a fox...I've had the quote for a new bumper and it's looking at around ?850!

The story---->

With a holiday booked from an airport 260 miles (Gatwick Airport, London) away I thought I'd drop in on some friends and leave my car at their country house whilst away for safety reasons.

We we're flying in the morning so we arrived at my friends the night before to sleep over and have a fresh start in the morning. Unfortunately my car got "damaged" during the night, it appears some beastie must've had teething problems and found the protruding parts of the front bumper, just below the air-intakes, the perfect cure. Whether it was a stray wild puppy or a fox cub I do not know but it managed to munch it's way right through both sides...all the way through!

Not what I wanted to see to start off my well earned holiday but I had to laugh...how can you protect your car from being eaten!! I read somewhere on another forum about an M6 (i think) getting it's wiring loom chewed up by mice...seems the animal kingdom have good taste too (well if i didn't say it somebody else was bound to)

I can see those over at MBworld coming up with some comic strap-line to the photos along the lines of:
  • Friend's house in the country ?900,000
  • Holiday to Egypt ?1,000
  • Petrol to drive 260 miles ?80
  • BMW E60 M5 ?70,000
  • Seeing an M5 getting used as a cheap dog-chew ?-PRICELESS-
My bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_left_chew_01.jpgMy bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_right_chew_01.jpg
My bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_left_chew_02.jpgMy bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_right_chew_02.jpg
My bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_left_chew_04.jpgMy bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_right_chew_04.jpg
My bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_left_chew_05.jpgMy bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_right_chew_05.jpg
My bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_left_chew_06.jpgMy bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_right_chew_06.jpg
My bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_left_chew_07.jpgMy bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_right_chew_07.jpg
Attached Thumbnails My bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_left_chew_03.jpg   My bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)-e60_m5_bumper_right_chew_03.jpg  
Old 07-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Members

Can't help it ..

Another one bites the dust? .

p.s. sorry to see that dude
Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Members

Holy crap!!!!

Good job you can laugh about it, otherwise you'd be crying!

That's seriously unbelievable, you'd have thought they'd have found something better to chew on????!!!! Bad luck.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Members

have you thought about getting a quote for a little bit of filler in the hands of someone reasonably skilled? wee bit of paint?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

ow! Sorry to see that, but count yourself lucky that you have Silverstone. In a recent survey, 9 out of 10 foxes said they prefered the taste of Indigo Blue... you could have lost the entire front end!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Animals... I friend of mine had all his seatbelts eaten up by his dog the other day.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ipp' post='443703' date='Jul 5 2007, 06:48 PM
Animals... I friend of mine had all his seatbelts eaten up by his dog the other day.
Bet he wishes he had never told the dog to belt up now
Old 07-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Whe you get your new bumper put some hot sauce on it. That will teach them..
Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005-12 E60 M5 :: Silverstone :: Silverstone Full Perforated Most extras bar climate comfort glass, there was even a detachable towbar in the boot weighing me down...what would anyone dream of towing with an M5, except maybe a fellow M5 owner with the Red Cog of Death!? Twin rear screens + PS2 + DVD :: Origin B2+laser detect :: Pentagon Security Glass Photos from my Nürburgring Trip and other random photos available on my website: www.scoopz.com

Originally Posted by fuzzer' post='443699' date='Jul 5 2007, 06:44 PM
have you thought about getting a quote for a little bit of filler in the hands of someone reasonably skilled? wee bit of paint?
I did make enquiries along that line thinking it was the easiest fix but aparently getting filler to bond properly to the plastic bumper isn't the easiest of tasks :thumbsdown: and even then as the corner has been chewed completely it would be hard to recreate the exact shape and angle for the corners without some sort of mould which doesn't seem to exists.

Whether any of that is true or not I'm not sure but no matter how skillful the bodyshop guy would he be able to get both corner pieces to be exact and symmetical ? With their protuding location and so low that area is prone to bumps on kerbs, how does filler hold up to knocks and bumps I wander? (NB - I've never bumped into a kerb but I'm just getting the point across, would the filler damage more easily in the future?)

Filler and touch up would probably come close to the ?200 excess on my insurance anyway so may as well get the full whammy! I have asked the bodyshop if I can keep the old bumper for my tracks days (or ebay ) but they've said no
Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 AM
nmc
Members

My Ride: On order 530D Platinum Bronze/Natural Brown Comfort seats,sunroof,PDC, Nav pro,Aux In,Xenons, Alarm, tinted glass. ETD 27.06.07

Do your friends own a Labrador? Mine ate a kitchen cabinet and a chair in pretty short order.

Quick Reply: My bumper's been eaten/chewed by a fox (or wild dog)! (pics)