E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My back hurts - BMW seats v. Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back niggle I get from my comfort seats in my 545 drives me nuts.

E34 M5 worlds best seats, E36 328 bit small but OK, Ford Territory SUV (Aus/NZer's will know) brilliant (our other car), my in flash my 545 can't get them right and its driving me slightly bonkers.

I fully suffer from the constant adjustment tendancy, found some releif from pushing the memory button which puts them back some random position when they get too far out of wack.

Note I pretty much obsessive about my BM'er so this plays on my mind more than anything.

Love the car though!

Cheers
stu
Old 04-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Don't get me wrong, I love my BMW seats and always have, even in my E39. However, the AMG seats are more comfy, but that goes along with their lines of cars. To me, MB is about luxury/comfort first, then sportiness. BMW is the sporty first, then comfy. I just think his seats feel better on the body. Maybe once I hit 40 like the rest of you clowns, my back will start aching more . But as of right now, I think the AMG seats in the S class are more comfortable to sit in. I even sat in vegastrashed's E63 AMG 2 months ago for an hour plus drive and we both felt the seats were more comfy. I guess it's just personal preference. I love my car no matter what and would never do MB, but if I could have the plushness of the AMG seats (with a few extra features) in my BMW, that would be the perfect set-up.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='557141' date='Apr 6 2008, 08:40 PM
My point? For people with bad backs, I strongly believe that our backs adjust to fit our seats, given enough time, rather than the other way around. I believe most seats will become tolerable or even very comfy over time, after weeks or months of tweaking and adjustments. And then sometimes we just get lucky and never experience discomfort in a new car.
+1
Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

~1200 to Atlanta & back last summer in the 535.....I drove both ways, was never able to do that before, ever.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='557220' date='Apr 6 2008, 11:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love my BMW seats and always have, even in my E39. However, the AMG seats are more comfy, but that goes along with their lines of cars. To me, MB is about luxury/comfort first, then sportiness. BMW is the sporty first, then comfy. I just think his seats feel better on the body. Maybe once I hit 40 like the rest of you clowns, my back will start aching more . But as of right now, I think the AMG seats in the S class are more comfortable to sit in. I even sat in vegastrashed's E63 AMG 2 months ago for an hour plus drive and we both felt the seats were more comfy. I guess it's just personal preference. I love my car no matter what and would never do MB, but if I could have the plushness of the AMG seats (with a few extra features) in my BMW, that would be the perfect set-up.
Other than ventilated leather equiv. in softness to BMW?s nasca leather, I didn?t think the M-B that more plush in the seats. The interior was equivalent in plushness to the 7er Series with which it competes. I did like the storage compartments in the doors but if I recall correctly, the 7er Series has some neat storage compartments also. The interior lighting effects were also very cool. The glass cockpit was great - much nicer than the 7er?s. The COMAND display really could use a wider and split screen option and the controller seemed a little less intuitive than iDrive?s but still ahead of everyone else?s controllers.

Two things - while the a/c was easy to use with all the buttons, overall - the car had too many buttons. Second, the voice response system, while still better than most, was more annoying than BMW?s in a few ways. Example: after the command ,,guidance off`` it would always ask if I were sure I wanted this. With BMW, it merely confirms and it?s off.

Again, going back to seats, I think that this is a very personal preference but I did get an unsolicited opinion from one of my passengers (who has a lot of seat time in the 550i and also now in the M- and his unbiased opinion, after spending over an hour exploring the adjustments via the COMAND system, was that the BMW Komfortsizte (ok, he didn?t say it in German) were far more comfortable.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='557229' date='Apr 7 2008, 12:08 AM
Two things - while the a/c was easy to use with all the buttons, overall - the car had too many buttons. Second, the voice response system, while still better than most, was more annoying than BMW?s in a few ways. Example: after the command ,,guidance off`` it would always ask if I were sure I wanted this. With BMW, it merely confirms and it?s off.
One nice thing about M-B's voice command system on the S-class is the way they instantly display all the available commands (based on context) on the screen. I imagine that really helps people who tend to forget what to say or when to say it...
Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='557315' date='Apr 7 2008, 08:35 AM
One nice thing about M-B's voice command system on the S-class is the way they instantly display all the available commands (based on context) on the screen. I imagine that really helps people who tend to forget what to say or when to say it...
Ja, that part was useful although it does not display ALL of the possible commands.

I sat in a 7er Series today (that?s what BMW picked me up at the airport in) and was again reminded how the BMW seats are more comfortable than the Mercedes to me.

Also, I just read, in the 1-2008 BMW Magazine, about Comfort Seat design (magazine was in the hotel room, thoughtful, eh?) and it makes for fascinating reading.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

Funy thing my friend has a benz and she says that my e60 has way more comfy seats than her ride
Old 04-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

you forgot about Lexus too.
You should try there seats out the best I think.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='557852' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:20 AM
you forgot about Lexus too.
You should try there seats out the best I think.
There is a big difference, between softness, comfort, and support. The comfort seat may not be as comfortable as others at first, but when adjusted properly, its support provides long term comfort. I've done an 8 hour trip in mine like it was nothing. Most other cars with soft seats, I'm glad to be done with the trip and overly tired.

Quick Reply: My back hurts - BMW seats v. Mercedes