E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My back hurts - BMW seats v. Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Having spent the past week in a S550 with 4Matic (more on that later), I have come to the conclusion that no one makes seats more comfortable than BMW and the Komfortsitze.

Did about 5 hours driving yesterday in the S Klasse and my lower back really aches today (normally it's a bit touchy but not THAT sensitive).

After driving 8 hours from M?nchen to Hamburg in the Komfortsitze, I felt rather refreshed actually.

The seats more detailed settings are set via a very nice UI on the COMAND system but otherwise there was no comparison.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

That's funny. My cousin told me today (owns an S55 AMG and the new X5 4.8i Sport) that he hates the BMW seats compared to his AMG seats. I have to admit it too, that after sitting in his seats quite a few times, they are definitely more comfortable. However, the BMW 20-way sport seats have more adjustability and who can go without the thigh extender?!?!?! The thigh extender is key! MB doesn't have this...at least not to my knowledge.

The ideal BMW would be the AMG seats with the thigh extender. That would be perfect.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='557081' date='Apr 6 2008, 05:55 PM
That's funny. My cousin told me today (owns an S55 AMG and the new X5 4.8i Sport) that he hates the BMW seats compared to his AMG seats. I have to admit it too, that after sitting in his seats quite a few times, they are definitely more comfortable. However, the BMW 20-way sport seats have more adjustability and who can go without the thigh extender?!?!?! The thigh extender is key! MB doesn't have this...at least not to my knowledge.

The ideal BMW would be the AMG seats with the thigh extender. That would be perfect.
I had an AMG 6.3 S Klasse a few months ago - no way are the seats more comfortable (according to my back and shoulders).

We have to compare apples to apples - since you are comparing the sport seats, you really should compare the Komfortsitze, which is what I am comparing.

Finally, I agree - the thigh extender is key (so is the shoulder tilt). And M-B does not have it.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

Follow-up as I just got back into the 550i.

No question - the Komfortsitze are much more comfortable to me than Mercedes? equivalent.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

After having turned in cars after a week or less from back comfort issues (or lack thereof), I am convinced our backs get used to whatever it is we're accustomed to driving and then acts up when in less familiar cars/seats. A good example or "unintended experiment" related to this has to do with the fact that I used to own '04 Maxima.

When I bought my new 335xi, I went nuts trying to get comfortable in the sport seats. After 1 week I turned it in for my 530xi with standard seats, since I was very comfy in the standard 328 seats from a loaner I had driven for a week. Well, I was wrong to assume the std. seats were similar across models. As soon as I pulled into my driveway with the 530xi, my back was crying for relief!!! It's funny how both cars felt fine during the test drive, though. Anyway, I was like, "What the hell did I just do!?" Talk about kicking myself in the ass!

Getting back to my point re: my old Maxima...Both my mother and stepfather own the same model Maxima as I did (I guess my family likes them.. ) , and when I would sit in them after being in my 5, I'd be like, "Aaahhh, relief!" As the months went by I still couldn't get comfy in the 5. It took me about 2 long months before I stopped adjusting my seats on an minute-by-minute basis, all the way to work. Then, all was good...comfort once again.

After 4 or more months with the 530 and zero times in the Maxima, I finally got back into the driver's seat of my stepfather's to go out to dinner one night, and after about 5 minutes I was bitching and moaning about my back for the entire drive, so much so that I opted to sit in the rear on the way back! As an fyi, through 3 years of ownership, my back never ached in the Maxima.

My point? For people with bad backs, I strongly believe that our backs adjust to fit our seats, given enough time, rather than the other way around. I believe most seats will become tolerable or even very comfy over time, after weeks or months of tweaking and adjustments. And then sometimes we just get lucky and never experience discomfort in a new car.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='557139' date='Apr 6 2008, 05:36 PM
Follow-up as I just got back into the 550i.

No question - the Komfortsitze are much more comfortable to me than Mercedes? equivalent.

+1, when my boss and I compared my e60 to his CLS 63
Old 04-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='557141' date='Apr 6 2008, 05:40 PM
After having turned in cars after a week or less from back comfort issues (or lack thereof), I am convinced our backs get used to whatever it is we're accustomed to driving and then acts up when in less familiar cars/seats. A good example or "unintended experiment" related to this has to do with the fact that I used to own '04 Maxima.

When I bought me new 335xi, I went nuts trying to get comfortable in the sport seats. After 1 week I turned it in for my 530xi with standard seats, since I was real comfy in the standard 328 seats from a loaner I had driven for a week. Well, I was wrong to assume the std. seats were similar across models. As soon as I pulled into my driveway with the 530xi, my back was crying for relief!!! It's funny how both cars felt fine during the test drive, though. Anyway, I was like, "What the hell did I just do!?" Talk about kicking myself in the ass!

Both my mother and stepfather own late model Maxima's as well (I guess my family likes them.. ) , and when I would first sit in them I'd be like, "Aaahhh." As the months went by I still couldn't get comfy in the 5. It took me about 2 long months before I stopped adjusting my seats on an minute-by-minute basis, all the way to work and back. Time went by, and it had been probably 4 or more months since I had sat in a Maxima.

I then drove my stepfather's car out to dinner one night with the folks, and after about 5 minutes I was bitching and moaning about my back for the entire drive, so much so that I opted to sit in the rear on the way back! As an fyi, through 3 years of ownership, my back never ached in the Maxima.

My point? For people with bad backs, I strongly believe that our backs adjust to fit our seats, rather than the other way around. And sometimes we get just get lucky. I think most seats become tolerable given enough time and adjustments.

But for those instances where our backs just conform into our seats, in the long run what does that really do to our back. I tend try to get the seat into a position of most support and good alignment. Neither my boss nor myself could do that at easily in his MB CLS 63 when compared to my e60. Drove for about 2 hours in each on different occasions. In the end though, it's probablly just all subjective.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='557081
Finally, I agree - the thigh extender is key (so is the shoulder tilt). And M-B does not have it.
Hey guys, M-B has something a little more advanced than the thigh extender -- the entire seat bottom can extend out or in. It's been a feature on every S-class since like the W140 (1991). Don't know if they have it on the E-class or not.

That said, the comfort (multi-contour) seats that BMW offers are very comfortable and offer better support than what the current (or past) S-class cars offer...
Old 04-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='557143' date='Apr 6 2008, 08:44 PM
But for those instances where our backs just conform into our seats, in the long run what does that really do to our back. I tend try to get the seat into a position of most support and good alignment. Neither my boss nor myself could do that at easily in his MB CLS 63 when compared to my e60. Drove for about 2 hours in each on different occasions. In the end though, it's probablly just all subjective.
Like I said, mine took 2 months to get "tolerable" and some of us just get lucky. I just wish I had given my 335xi some more time before I turned it in. However, the main difference with the 335xi sport was that the seats were way too narrow for my back, and those lateral supports dug right into my kidneys...even fully deflated, so I doubt I could've gotten used to that. That's the main reason I liked the 328 seats....no digging due to a flatter back, plus my seating position overall was just better for me.

I am 185 pounds, 6 feet tall and should have been able to fit into those sport seats and was amazed I could not. I guess my lats are just to wide from all the weight-lifting!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='557146' date='Apr 6 2008, 08:55 PM
Hey guys, M-B has something a little more advanced than the thigh extender -- the entire seat bottom can extend out or in. It's been a feature on every S-class since like the W140 (1991). Don't know if they have it on the E-class or not.

That said, the comfort (multi-contour) seats that BMW offers are very comfortable and offer better support than what the current (or past) S-class cars offer...
Ja, the M-B S 550 had the extender - but it didn?t seem to serve the same purpose as the thigh extender.

Quick Reply: My back hurts - BMW seats v. Mercedes