E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My baby got stopped!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 12:05 PM
sj3
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, our area's finest (in blue) got a close-up view of my baby yesterday. I was running one of those sought-after errands and went through a yellow left-turn light making a legal "U-ie." I didn't really slow down much as I wanted to hear my tires sound off a bit. Well, I was cruising about 50 in a 45 when I noiticed (2 lights later) one of our area's finest on my butt! I was in the left lane of a two-lane divided highway. He just sat there perusing me. So I decided to move over to the right lane to see if he wanted to pass. Not so lucky. He moved right over behind me and put on his cool lights. I took off my shades and put both hands on the wheel and waited for him. "Good morning...xyz police." He apparently thought that light was red when I went through. [Personal comment, not made to officer: NO WAY!] I pointed out dutifully that it is illegal to enter the intersection even if the light was yellow. "Very good." "Um, I was late for a meeting?" "No, I wasn't in a rush! It's just been 2 weeks and I don't know what she can do yet." {Hint: don't try that one!] "Is your license clean, i.e. no points, etc.?" "Yes, sir" "OK, let me check and I'll be back shortly" He eventually came back and gave me a warning and told me to be more careful so I don't mess up my beautiful car! Almost worth it? Not really. I have tons of people telling me how beautiful it is, WITHOUT the threat of arrest!

Sorry to bore,

Sam
Old 06-03-2004, 12:36 PM
JDN
Contributors

Tips that have worked for me:

Turn off engine - a running engine makes them nervous
Lower window - a lowered window helps them see
Turn on Dome - only necessary between sundown and sun up
Be ready - have registration and license in hands
Hands outside - have papers in hand with palms up outside window
Smile - if wrong, admit it at the out set
Clean car - officers admire and respect clean vehicles
Be respectful - address by name and rank if you can

While this procedure is not foolproof, it and a V1 have kept me ticket free for the past eight years. Admitting you are wrong is a little risky, but it seems to disarm LEO, especially along all the rest of the window dressing. It doesn't hurt to tell him he's doing a good job.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:19 PM
sj3
Senior Members

JDN: I usually wait to go for the reg./insurance card until they ask. That way, they don't think I'm either trying to hide something in the glovebox or going for weapon in there. I also wait to go for my wallet (license) until asked for the same reasons. That's a good idea re: turning the car off. Fortunately, this hasn't happened often! Having a clean license helps it stay clean, for minor infractions. Thanks.

Sam
Old 06-03-2004, 07:48 PM
JDN
Contributors

Well, Sam, I'm licensed to carry in 23 states so I usually show the license and tell them where the thing is, too. Digging around in the glove compartment makes them nervous, so I make sure I don't have to.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Contributors

Sometimes if you are in the military and away from the base the police are a little friendly to you. IF you ar ein uniform or you happen to slip them your mil. ID. If other mil. people are reading, you know what I am talking about.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

JDN, you forgot one thing on your checklist:

Never let them see your VeeOne! If they see a detector, your chance of just a warning is almost certainly gone!!
Old 06-03-2004, 08:24 PM
JDN
Contributors

Good point, but I don't always have time. The last one that nailed me (73 in a 50) stuck his head inside the window and looked at it, but his comment was, "How do you like this car." That was after I had gone through my routine. He had captain bars and asked me to hold it down.

The V1 had done its job, but I had my sweetie with me and we were on our way to KC and preoccupied with each other to the extent that I had tuned out the warning until it went solid. Too late, but fortunately he was a very nice person. (McAlister, OK)
Old 06-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Contributors

Shows the difference between US and UK , when having to show your hands outside the window, in UK some enterprising thief would run past you and nick your watch.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:01 PM
Members

I got stoped after less than a mile when i picked up my car in october last year. They were just curious to see the car for a moment.
After that, the tickets came along
Old 06-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Members

Kigerka,
I've been serving in the U.S. Army for 17 years, and my ID card has saved me from many speeding tickets. Except for one time on the BWI parkway in Maryland. The officer politely told me that he didn't ask for my ID card and proceeded with writing my ticket.

Quick Reply: My baby got stopped!