E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Baby Got Smashed Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by PeterF' date='Nov 1 2004, 08:47 PM
The body shop manager seemed to think that it was all repairable, but hasn't examined everything in detail yet. probably abou $20k in damage
[snapback]51962[/snapback]
Yikes! Glad you're ok but sorry about the car. :'(
Old 11-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Senior Members

ouch :'(! that doesn't look good at all . sorry to say but i think the body shop mgr is right. your car looks like repairable <_<. probably time for you to think about trade it in for another one or sell it on your own.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by PeterF' date='Nov 2 2004, 06:47 AM
The body shop manager seemed to think that it was all repairable, but hasn't examined everything in detail yet. probably abou $20k in damage
[snapback]51962[/snapback]
An d I thought that repairing a car is costly in Finland :'(

Skaffa
Old 11-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Contributors

so sorry about your car buddy. It is unacceptable for me to have my dealer repair the car and give it to me again. I will ask for a change since the car wont turn out like the original.

try to ask for a new car.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Members

Damn that is horrible, by looking at the damage their must be something or someone that is able to state that this is a loss and will be unsafe to drive if after it is repaired. Just a shot in the dark.

Glad everything is Ok physically. Can't believe that the cop did not site the truck driver.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Members

The truck driver did get a ticket and was completely at fault. Going back to the site of the accident the next day, I could clearly see the almost 30 feet of skid marks from the truck, but I could also see the tire marks (about 15 feet) of my own car -- seeing the truck approaching, I stepped on my brakes as hard as I could, and so you could see how far he must have pushed me.

The BMW body shop seems to be convinced that even cutting parts of the frame and welding in new aluminum frame parts can be done in some cases -- don't forget, it is a $72k car, so even if the repairs are $50k, the insurance company will want them done because they still save $22k :-(

I don't have too many hopes, but will be speaking with a lawyer on Monday to see what can be done, especially regarding the diminished value of the car because it was in a major accident... I'll post if find out anything.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

aww.. the rear looks really bad. Glad you're alright. Hope you will get a new car out of it. My buddy has the same damage as yours but his was from the front. The engines were all badly damage, therefore its total lost. The insurance paid $59,400 for his 545i. Not as much as what was expected. Good luck for yours though.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Members

Sucks to hear man, just a new car and it's now new anymore, even when repaired
Old 11-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PeterF' date='Nov 2 2004, 07:56 PM
The BMW body shop seems to be convinced that even cutting parts of the frame and welding in new aluminum frame parts can be done in some cases -- don't forget, it is a $72k car, so even if the repairs are $50k, the insurance company will want them done because they still save $22k :-(

[snapback]52240[/snapback]
How much will the car be worth after its repaired? Who would buy it? Who will take care of all the problems because everthing is not perfectly aligned? What's the insurance company's policy regarding totaled vehicles? The lawyer will probably have a bunch of other questions.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

PeterF,

Most cars have Eddy Currents flowing through the frame due to the frame being used as a ground reference. This big issue with this car is the welding of the different materials (aluminum to steel I believe) which they need to make sure does not create a voltage offset to different areas of your frame. That could really cause problems with the electrical devices in this car.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: My Baby Got Smashed Today