E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My auto transmission on my 550i behaves weirdly

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Silverstone/Black M5 with Comfort Access, Manual Side Sunshades, Electric Rear Sunshade, M Multi-Function Active Seat, Head-Up Display.
Smile

I picked up my '06 550i 4 weeks ago. After the second or third day (<100 Kms) I began noticing a weird behaviour with the my Auto transmission ... as I slow down from highway speeds the transmission starts downshifting (as expected) until it gets to 2 gear but then at around 30 Km/H it upshifts to 3rd and makes a big clunck noise. It does that in both D and DS. It took a couple of weeks to get an appointment but I finally took the car back to the dealer last Monday and so far they can't tell me what's wrong with the car and when it will be fixed. I called BMW canada and complained about the fact that I paid for a 550 and I am driving a 325 and they basically told me to go fly a kite :thumbsdown:

Anyone with a similar problem? Should I insist that they give me a similar car while I wait for them to figure out the problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Osama
Old 12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='209268' date='Dec 9 2005, 04:26 PM
I picked up my '06 550i 4 weeks ago. After the second or third day (<100 Kms) I began noticing a weird behaviour with the my Auto transmission ... as I slow down from highway speeds the transmission starts downshifting (as expected) until it gets to 2 gear but then at around 30 Km/H it upshifts to 3rd and makes a big clunck noise. It does that in both D and DS. It took a couple of weeks to get an appointment but I finally took the car back to the dealer last Monday and so far they can't tell me what's wrong with the car and when it will be fixed. I called BMW canada and complained about the fact that I paid for a 550 and I am driving a 325 and they basically told me to go fly a kite :thumbsdown:

Anyone with a similar problem? Should I insist that they give me a similar car while I wait for them to figure out the problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Osama
325's don't do that. I don't think you really will be able insist on much of anything beyond what your warranty and your dealer's loaner-car policy provides you. It is a wierd problem; I have not heard of such a problem before. Good luck, and I hope you get your fix soon. I would imagine the first thing your dealer will do is a software reinstall, but if software is the problem, then I would think you would have had the shifting issue from the start.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Members

Really depends on how good your dealer is. Where did you make the purchase from? Usually i just asked the salesman to give me a loaner instead of the service people, so i always got something just as good or better.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Silverstone/Black M5 with Comfort Access, Manual Side Sunshades, Electric Rear Sunshade, M Multi-Function Active Seat, Head-Up Display.

Originally Posted by MaTRiX' post='209282' date='Dec 9 2005, 04:56 PM
Really depends on how good your dealer is. Where did you make the purchase from? Usually i just asked the salesman to give me a loaner instead of the service people, so i always got something just as good or better.
I got my car from Budds in Oakville ... my sales guy is on vacation ... I'll call him on Monday when he is back. Where did you service your car?

Cheers,
Osama
Old 12-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='209268' date='Dec 9 2005, 04:26 PM

Thanks for any advice.

Osama

Does Canada have a Lemon Law? If so, determine when you can invoke it.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Members

Purchased from Bmw of Mississauga. Both my salesman and the service team are excellent. If you plan on purchasing in the future, goto Derek, he should be of good help. And for service, goto Andy or Sheldon, they will give you good service. Although i gotta say you still have to talk to the salesperson for a better car, because all the loaners are usually 3 series. I drove the 325i, and it really sucked. Worse BMW ive ever driven. The steering was too hard for some reason. I actually prefer the old 3 series better. But again, it was base, heard when fully specd,its a beast.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZF transmission is a POS. Software does not work the way it's supposed to be. I test drove 550i w/ automatic the other day and the problem with the transmission is upshift to early and hesitate to downshift. This makes me away from 550i for now until most of problem solved.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='209309' date='Dec 9 2005, 06:04 PM
ZF transmission is a POS. Software does not work the way it's supposed to be. I test drove 550i w/ automatic the other day and the problem with the transmission is upshift to early and hesitate to downshift. This makes me away from 550i for now until most of problem solved.
I actually don't have a problem with the way the trasmission works other than this big clunk/upshift at 30kph. Mine is definitely defective and not a software issue.

I just can't believe how poor BMW customer service is ... they sell me a defective car (from the factory) and now I have to be without my car for a week 2 weeks after i bought it and they can't even give any idea when it will be fixed. Meanwhile I am driving around in a base '05 325 without snow tires and we just had a major snow storm. The woman (supervisor) from BMW canada told me today that my car will get fixed when it gets fixed and in the mean time I should be happy that I have a loaner ... not much else she can do for me. This will be my last BMW.

Osama
Old 12-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Members

That's terrible service for you... Unfortunate that this was you first experience with BMW (is it? i think i remember your other thread and you other *nice* cars but no bmw)... really depends from dealer to dealer... the problem you describe does not sound like a software issue though.... sounds like a mechanical problem from the factory.

You should give the dealer hell.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Osama Arafat' post='209324
I actually don't have a problem with the way the trasmission works other than this big clunk/upshift at 30kph. Mine is definitely defective and not a software issue.

I just can't believe how poor BMW customer service is ... they sell me a defective car (from the factory) and now I have to be without my car for a week 2 weeks after i bought it and they can't even give any idea when it will be fixed. Meanwhile I am driving around in a base '05 325 without snow tires and we just had a major snow storm. The woman (supervisor) from BMW canada told me today that my car will get fixed when it gets fixed and in the mean time I should be happy that I have a loaner ... not much else she can do for me. This will be my last BMW.

Osama
[/quote]"Definitely" I have to wonder how you know for sure. But, regardless, defective cars come from all manufacturers from the factory. It is just "your turn" to get one. Were you willing to take any avaiable appointment? I think the rep is right; your car will be fixed when it is fixed. What else could she say? Did she actually speak to you disrespectfully? Did you behave respectfully, reasonably, and maturely in your conversation with her? I think you should be happy with the loaner. Until I have more facts, I can't say that anything out of line has happened. I do sympathize with your problem and misfortune. It may be your last BMW, but in all liklihood it will not be your last upsetting warranty issue. Stuff happens with every brand/dealer/manufacturer. I wish you the best of luck though whatever. And, giving anyone hell will do nothing but make things worse. I recommend caution in following the advice of anyone who knows what you "should" do.

Quick Reply: My auto transmission on my 550i behaves weirdly