E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 545i saved my life today

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 06:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Glad to here your're OK!

The BMW safty system with DSC, ABS and CBC helped you but you also did
the right things as nothing serious occured.

Here we see it again, even if one drives saftly, there's always others that maybe doesn't.

A Happy and Safe New Year 2006 to everyone!
Old 12-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Glad that you are ok. Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cattman' post='217454' date='Dec 30 2005, 09:19 PM
Today my BMW (2005 545i) saved my life. No question about it.
Here's what happened:
Driving home at 60mph on a road with two lanes in each direction, separated by a curbed and grassy median.

Approaching, and entering an intersection, 60 mph, a Ford F350 decides to run a red light. He is perpendicular to me, coming from my left, moving through the intersection to the right.

From 60mph I slam on the breaks. ABS kicks in. Looking over into my right lane is a minivan, can't swerve right. Besides, by that point, he F350 is closer to the right anyway, no good.

Look to the left, clear in the intersection, so swerve left. My BMW kicks out sideways, skidding at 90 degrees now, my car regains control, and just in time, because I was about to hit the curbed median sideways at about 45 mph, which probably would have sent me in a sideways spin roll.

My BMW grips again, quickly jerk the wheel back to the right, avoiding the median, then jerk left to get back into my lane, safe.

The whole experience lasted about 1 second. I drove past again just now, and my tire marks are there, at a 90 degree angle to the road. The tire marks are SIDEWAYS. Basically, within 50 feet, I went from having my car pointed South at 60mph, to pointed East at 45mph, to South again at 40mph.

My son still has a father thanks to this BMW. This was accident avoidance and emergency maneuvering at it's upper limit. I hope you never have to push your car to this extreme, but if you do, you'll be thankful to be behind the wheel of a BMW.
I am very happy for you and your family.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cattman' post='217454' date='Dec 30 2005, 09:19 PM
Today my BMW (2005 545i) saved my life. No question about it.
Here's what happened:
Driving home at 60mph on a road with two lanes in each direction, separated by a curbed and grassy median.

Approaching, and entering an intersection, 60 mph, a Ford F350 decides to run a red light. He is perpendicular to me, coming from my left, moving through the intersection to the right.

From 60mph I slam on the breaks. ABS kicks in. Looking over into my right lane is a minivan, can't swerve right. Besides, by that point, he F350 is closer to the right anyway, no good.

Look to the left, clear in the intersection, so swerve left. My BMW kicks out sideways, skidding at 90 degrees now, my car regains control, and just in time, because I was about to hit the curbed median sideways at about 45 mph, which probably would have sent me in a sideways spin roll.

My BMW grips again, quickly jerk the wheel back to the right, avoiding the median, then jerk left to get back into my lane, safe.

The whole experience lasted about 1 second. I drove past again just now, and my tire marks are there, at a 90 degree angle to the road. The tire marks are SIDEWAYS. Basically, within 50 feet, I went from having my car pointed South at 60mph, to pointed East at 45mph, to South again at 40mph.

My son still has a father thanks to this BMW. This was accident avoidance and emergency maneuvering at it's upper limit. I hope you never have to push your car to this extreme, but if you do, you'll be thankful to be behind the wheel of a BMW.
Glad you and your family are fine....and thanks for letting us review our geometry!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

For all you folks driving out for the New Years bash, please don't drink and drive. Also, be careful since you don't know what the nut in the other car/F350 is on.

And a Very Happy and Prosperous 2006 to you'll.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Wow cattman, glad you're O.K.!

Some have suggested taking a BMW driving school. It then reminded me of a *special invite* from BMW NA that offered a free one day BMW driving class if I bought a BMW. I believe offered at their South Carolina location. Well, I bought an E60, and I'm going to look for that offer letter now.

Did anyone else get this offer.

Again, I'm glad you're O.K. cattman.
-CoolTones
Old 12-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I did the BMW driving school.... it came along with Performance Delivery for my parents new 325.

It was excellent. I got to play on the skidpad, and even got to drive an M5 on their track....
Old 12-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Glad you safe and OK.....Stay healthy
Old 12-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Relieved to know that no "contact" was made. Nice way to start the New Year.

Was curious though, how you perceived the Active Steering's performance through what seems to be some fairly torutuous twists and turns, at presumably low RPMs.

In short: Do you think it over-reacted to the situation?

Best wishes for continued safe driving,
Ray Hull
Old 12-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

I hadn't thought of the active steering. There was a lot going on, but the steering "feel" was more like my wife's 2003 540i with M package- meaning: it felt totally LOCK DOWN TIGHT AND RESPONSIVE, not "light" the way I find it typically feels. I guess it felt more like a BMW than the 545i with AS typically feels.

On a side note: I saw the black F350 tonight. I know where it lives.

Quick Reply: My 545i saved my life today