E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 545i is Groovey and that's negative

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a stretch of road daily on 287, The Cross Westchester Expressway in Westchester County in New York State. The center lane westbound has worn down from the weight of the cars and trucks creating a hollow on both edges where the tires track in the lane. For those familiar with the road this is at its worst between where the Hutchison River Parkway traffic enters and the White Plains exit.
I have a 545i with Dunlop Run-Flats and the sports pkg with Active Steering and anti-roll stabilization. I canot drive in this lane. The car gets into the grooves and sways back and forth within the grooves making it difficult to control. I actually can't stay in the lane and have to get in the right or left lane of this three lane highway. I am sure people in cars behind me think I am either drunk or a lousey driver (I am neither). On the days that I take my '97 528i to work I have no problem at all controlling the car in the center lane, though I feel the grooves a bit, but get no sway at all.
The 545 drives and handles like a dream otherwise, but this really gets annoying. It happens a bit on other groovey roads as well, but not as extreme.
I really need some imput on this from other E60 drivers, and what better place to get feedback than on this board on this type of problem.
The question therefore is; are any of you experiencing the same control problem on various roads, lets call it GROOVING, or is my individual car defective in some way? Could it be the run-flats, or the sports suspension, or active steering? I am at a loss to figure this out.
Does anyone travel 287 in Westchester NY and if so what do you feel in your E60?
This is really bugging me, and I am sure the dealer has no answer, and before they start taking the car apart if I complain, I need your response.
Thanks in advance.
Netjazz
Old 09-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Contributors

How about the taconi pkwy?

I used 287 some times. Other time the taconi pkwy.. .but when I really want to rush i

take the 684.

Me trip is from 'poughekeepsie to Manhattan and from manhattan to poughkeepisie
Old 09-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Members

I have the same problem with my 545. My only take is that the tires on the 545 sport are much wider than the groves in the road made by trucks and other cars with narrower tires; therefore, causing the car to go in and out of the groves. My friend has a vette and it does the same thing.

By the way, I live in northern NJ and 287 is not the only road that has this problem.

Orient Blue, 545 Sp, Step. tranny, NAV, cold weather pack, heated rear seats, lumbar.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I've experienced the same thing on some stretches of road around me as well. There is one spot where, if I'm in the left lane, I know it is going to happen... and it does. It's a combination of the ruts in the road and the wide tires. Not much that can be done except for keeping both hands on the wheel and paying attention.
Those grooves get to be nasty when it's raining, as they fill up with water. Try to stay out of them then.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I've experienced the same with my 530i.. The correct word for this situation is tramlining (at least in dutch it is).
Old 09-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Contributors

I really don't think it's the tires or the suspension that's the problem it's the state or the city that isn't fixing the road that's the problem! I think Realtyman is correct its the width of the tire on the uneven grooves that is causing your tramlining.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

There are lots of factors that affect tramlining. Width of tire and stiffness of sidewall are two important factors. Some tires are known to tramline more than others. I had the old Potenzas RE71s on my Z and it was terrible at tramlining (great tire otherwise). Generally I think the more aggressive tire tends to tramline more.

I would also bet that run flats could be part of the problem. If this road is a common one for you, switch out of the runflats and maybe don't get the most aggressive tire as replacement. This is of course assuming that tramlining is truly your problem.... my opinion is that it is.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:28 AM
Members

I have a similar experience on 295 in NJ -- except my 545 drive rather well there, but my other car, a Land Rover Discovery, sways like crazy! So the BMW is great, it could be much worse!
Old 09-17-2004, 04:56 AM
Contributors

netjazz, it is just the price to pay for razor sharp handling. It will get less once the tyres are worn in. Best thing is to let the car find it's way through the grooves. It takes a bit of bravery, but it works..

What car did you drive before this one? My guess is a merc, the steering is a lot less direct, giving more comfort and losing a lot of feeling..
Old 09-17-2004, 06:10 AM
Members

Flowerfred. Thanks for reply. Been driving BMW's for the last 15 years.
Still driving my 1997 528i BMW with believe it or not, 287,000 miles on it( that's not kilometers). Alternate between the new 545i and the 528i to save miles on the new car. Hardly notice the grooving motion at all on the 528i on that same road in the middle lane. Tried every driving trick I know, but can't be comfortable at all with the 545i on a deeply compressed road along the tire track area, but the road I mentioned is an extreme example. Luckily the solution is simple, just give it up and change lanes, which is what I have done. This condition continues for about six miles on this road, so it's not worth fighting. Maybe someday the state will get around to re-paving the road.
Netjazz

Quick Reply: My 545i is Groovey and that's negative