E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 545 is now officially in "hibernation"

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by silvergray5456spd' post='733545' date='Nov 28 2008, 07:08 PM
Haha I wish! I have a 99 Mazda Millenia.
I just don't get it at all
Old 11-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by silvergray5456spd' post='733545' date='Nov 28 2008, 01:08 PM
Haha I wish! I have a 99 Mazda Millenia. It was my first car and I took car of her so at 107.5k miles she runs without a problem!
I don't get it either...if u can drive a mazda millenia around town in the winter, why can't you drive ur 545 instead?? is the mazda your daily driver even in the summer ?
i just got spoiled w/me car and i find it difficult sometimes to get used to drive other cars - or maybe just the thought of not driving my bimmer makes me depressed.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Members

Hey guys....I'm not driving this winter for a few reasons.
-I bought it with really low miles and I like to keep my cars that way.
-Second, I already have 2 other cars that are perfectly fine. I also drive a Chev Avalanche 4x4 and a Toyota Camry. The BMW is really a "fun" car that I enjoy.
-Also , everywhere else in the world they use sand for traction but here they use salt. Salt does a ton of damage to our cars and alot of cars here where I live will start to rust in 4-5 years if driven in the winter. It's inevitible.
-Another thing is that I just bought the car in October. New tires and rims would cost me about $1400 and I just didn't feel like spending the $$$ on tires.

I can't say I'll NEVER drive in the winter but if I don't have to, I won't. Boy you guys in the Southern states love to rub it in.....but there are benefits and drawbacks to having snow.
I AM CANADIAN and I wouldn't trade winter for anything.....it's truly awesome for outdoor sports and I have as much OR MORE fun in the winter as I do in the summer so I don't miss driving the car that much!!!

Remember fellas, a few words to live by...... NEVER LOVE ANYTHING THAT CAN'T LOVE YOU BACK !
Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Me too ... the 545 is parked for the winter in Canada and I'm in Ireland until the end of April.
Attached Thumbnails My 545 is now officially in "hibernation"-ready_for_winter.jpg  
Old 11-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by Canada545' post='734897' date='Nov 30 2008, 12:29 PM
Me too ... the 545 is parked for the winter in Canada and I'm in Ireland until the end of April.
I can't wait to see how my 535XIT handles the snow.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

For long term storage, or even few months, people always say put wood underneath the tires? Or is that bs?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='733572
I don't get it either...if u can drive a mazda millenia around town in the winter, why can't you drive ur 545 instead?? is the mazda your daily driver even in the summer ?
i just got spoiled w/me car and i find it difficult sometimes to get used to drive other cars - or maybe just the thought of not driving my bimmer makes me depressed.
I cant drive my 545 in the winter because I dont have snow tires so I wont get very far. In the summer I drive the bimmer everyday its not raining. I dont drive my car to work or anything, i have a company vehicle for that.

Originally Posted by simmer' post='733802' date='Nov 28 2008, 06:44 PM
Hey guys....I'm not driving this winter for a few reasons.
-I bought it with really low miles and I like to keep my cars that way.
-Second, I already have 2 other cars that are perfectly fine. I also drive a Chev Avalanche 4x4 and a Toyota Camry. The BMW is really a "fun" car that I enjoy.
-Also , everywhere else in the world they use sand for traction but here they use salt. Salt does a ton of damage to our cars and alot of cars here where I live will start to rust in 4-5 years if driven in the winter. It's inevitible.
-Another thing is that I just bought the car in October. New tires and rims would cost me about $1400 and I just didn't feel like spending the $$$ on tires.

I can't say I'll NEVER drive in the winter but if I don't have to, I won't. Boy you guys in the Southern states love to rub it in.....but there are benefits and drawbacks to having snow.
I AM CANADIAN and I wouldn't trade winter for anything.....it's truly awesome for outdoor sports and I have as much OR MORE fun in the winter as I do in the summer so I don't miss driving the car that much!!!

Remember fellas, a few words to live by...... NEVER LOVE ANYTHING THAT CAN'T LOVE YOU BACK !
I am not driving my car for exactly that same reasons. The salt they put on the roads beats the shit out of the cars up here.

Also, if I were to sell my mazda it would not be worth it. It would be stupid to sell it. The car was bought brand new in 1999. It never had any problems and still runs like a champ. Right now it is worth about 3k. So say I sell it and i spend 1400 in winter tires and wheels, I have 1600 left over. Over the years i will spend more than 1600 on tires, body work, oil changes, maintenance, etc... In my opinion, I would rather beat up on a car that I know runs good instead of driving my 545 that is nearly flawless.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i

I would love to do this as well. I need to find something cheap to drive as we just had our first snow this morning

The salt mixture that is thrown all over the roads does indeed do a number on paint.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Do you guys in Canada have to keep insurance on the vehicle while its off the road during the winter months?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Members

Same here. I do take it out on occasion when the streets are dry but for the most part it sits in the garage for the winter. They also use salt here so I got a beater to just put around in for the winter.

Quick Reply: My 545 is now officially in "hibernation"