E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 530i vs. E350 today

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

It was un enexpected challenge.
I was in the left hand lane alongside a new Merc E350 on my right - the traffic light was red.
I was in a hurry, and I knew the two lanes merged into one lane ahead.

My car was in normal drive mode, as I did not even expect the Merc to challenge me (around here Merc drivers are really slow and conservative).

The light changed to Green.
To my surprise I saw him accelerate really hard whilst I had started off with only 50% throttle.
As soon as I saw his pull off, I stepped hard on the pedal to initiate kick down. I quickly caught him, and then maintained half a car length lead over him until just before the two lanes merged when I passed him.
At this point we were doing about 120km/hr.

As soon as I was in front of him, he then backed off completely.

Pity we could not have continued over a longer distance. :'(

It was a beautiful moment

At the next traffic light he pulled alongside me, and he was really p****d off. I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders, and eventually he calmed down and smiled too.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Nice one #5
Old 05-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

i am glad that a 530 can beat an E350
hope he learned his lesson
btw your 530 looks AWESOME
Old 05-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Piss off a Mercedes driver whenever you can!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530i_msport' post='286145' date='May 22 2006, 08:20 PM
i am glad that a 530 can beat an E350
hope he learned his lesson
btw your 530 looks AWESOME

Thanks.

I suspect he will have a nightmare or two tonight.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Well, not that I was at all interested in racing, but I happily "lost" to a guy in an E350 yesterday. Taking the family to the movies in the morning and we're rolling up to a light which was red but has just gone green. Three lane highway, so I moved over one lane to the empty right hand lane, the 350 was initially in the middle . I'm just driving at normal speeds, and the E350, which has started to pull away, suddenly veers into my lane. I'm thinking the guy just didn't see us, so I indicate and move back into the lane I was in originally. The 350 instantly veers right back into the same lane right in front of me - and brakes - before accelerating away. Basically saying you're not going to pass me. His first manoevre had already caused me to have to brake heavily, and I had three kids in the back, his second did the same and signalled his real agenda. This guy in a 350 effectively endangered my kids with unbelievably dangerous driving, seemingly because he had seen the angel eyes in his mirror and his ego got the better of him. Looked like he had a really nice new 350 as well so I'm not sure what was going on with him but that was one incident that if he so chooses he can happily chalk up to a kill of a 545.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

my dad did the same with his 525d and a turkish driver in a tuned Audi A4. the lights were red when he wanted to show off by turning the engine at approximately 6.000 rpm idling. my dad recognized him at once and then the lights went green. the A4 beside us did a burnout and my dad did not even use DS when he started. the the A4 had no chance and we drove off with approximately 130km/h in the city centre to the next traffic lights.

he thought he would beat us but he was wrong
Old 05-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='286139' date='May 22 2006, 07:05 PM
My car was in normal drive mode, as I did not even expect the Merc to challenge me (around here Merc drivers are really slow and conservative).
E350 is 272bhp and 0-62 is 6.9s - kerb weight of 1680kg. 530i is 258bhp and 0-62 in 6.7s - kerb weight of 1575kg. So actually quite close! But as you found out the 530i edges it
Old 05-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by swajames' post='286151' date='May 22 2006, 11:48 AM
Well, not that I was at all interested in racing, but I happily "lost" to a guy in an E350 yesterday. Taking the family to the movies in the morning and we're rolling up to a light which was red but has just gone green. Three lane highway, so I moved over one lane to the empty right hand lane, the 350 was initially in the middle . I'm just driving at normal speeds, and the E350, which has started to pull away, suddenly veers into my lane. I'm thinking the guy just didn't see us, so I indicate and move back into the lane I was in originally. The 350 instantly veers right back into the same lane right in front of me - and brakes - before accelerating away. Basically saying you're not going to pass me. His first manoevre had already caused me to have to brake heavily, and I had three kids in the back, his second did the same and signalled his real agenda. This guy in a 350 effectively endangered my kids with unbelievably dangerous driving, seemingly because he had seen the angel eyes in his mirror and his ego got the better of him. Looked like he had a really nice new 350 as well so I'm not sure what was going on with him but that was one incident that if he so chooses he can happily chalk up to a kill of a 545.
Kudos, that was good restraint.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Hmmm... Interesting that some of us where involved in some sort of street racing this past weekend. Unfortunately, I cannibalized one of our own. I believe it was a debadged e46 330 ZHP. I know this b/c he was in front to my left a few miles back on the main highway.

2am Sunday morning going back to g/f's apartment in LA, the 330 was initially behind me at a stoplight then proceeded to get to the lane on my right when he realized the right lane was clear.

Light turned green, I slowly accelerated but the 330 stomped on his gas. It was on. I went WOT (wide open throttle) and it was over before it started. 330 got behind me as the lane merged. He probably thought he had a chance b/c I'm debadged. I'm sure he realized his mistake when he heard the V8 roar.

And BMW#5, good kill! I almost got killed by a E55 prior to the 330. I saw the quads and did not want a certain death from him.

Quick Reply: My 530i vs. E350 today