E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 530i - 2 Weeks In - My Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Wingnut' date='Jan 17 2005, 04:23 PM
1)? I have autolocking enabled which is cool especially when you have kids or are worried about getting "jacked".? (That's LA speak for some thug jumping in your car at a stop light and physically stealing your car).?
Why don't the doors unlock after the car is turned off?? Sounds simple enough, autolocking but no autounlocking?
Read what Hormazd said. The Germans do thing s for a reason. Always!!

2)? Why do I have to turn the fog lights on each time?? If I turn them on, why don't they come on when the lights come on automatically?
Because every L.A. Schmuck drives w/ the damn fog lights on and there is NEVER any fog around. Remember, its a FOG lights and not "assistance headlight" Driving w/ Fog lights on when there is no fog in sight is kindda like walking around w/ your pants cuffs rolled-up to your knees (i.e. whadaya??!! waiting for flood/fog??!!) Its silly!!

3)? I know it's been said before but what gives with the cup holders?? Every other car on the face of the planet has way too many cup holders for all sizes of beverages.? Why can't BMW give us one or two that actually work?? ? As a side note what's up with the no wine glass warning?? I don't think that I've ever been inclined to bring along my fine waterford crystal goblets on a sunday drive.? ? :'(
Dude, if you think the E60's has bad cup holder, then you should be damned to drive the old 540 w/ the cup holder. You will never complaint about the E60's cup holder again. BTW, WTH are you sipping drinks for??!! Driving is a SERIOUS business and you should be focused w/ 100% of your attnetion to it. And puts BOTH hands on the steering wheel DAMN IT!!

4)? The trunk is simply too hard to close and doesn't have a handle to assist in closing it.? My previous vehicle (Lexus) had a nice handle inside the trunk which could be used to close it without touching the paint.? Why risk scratching the paint?
There is a holder and you need to learn how to do it.

5)? Front license plate.....my dealer drilled a couple of holes in the front bumper to install the mounting bracket.? ? I know that some of you where able to stop the mutilation before it occured, but now I am stuck with two ugly looking holes.?

6)? Phone Charger.....the last car had a cig lighter in the center console which could be used to charge the cell phone.? I got to believe that nearly every buyer of this car has a need to charge their cell phone once in a while.? Why not add a simple adapter in the ventilated center storage console?
Dude... I give up....
Old 01-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Members

Welcome to the BMW family.

Which BMW center did you buy your car from? Ask them to repair them, if not send me an email and I'll see what I can do to help you.

Originally Posted by Wingnut' date='Jan 17 2005, 06:23 PM
Now that a couple of weeks and 500 miles have gone by, I thought I'd post my list of gripes on this unbelievable machine.? The good news is that the care is awesome and most of what I have issue with can likely be fixed with upgraded software or some minor tweaking.? Let's just hope someone from BMWNA reads these boards and actually gets these items on someone's list.

1)? I have autolocking enabled which is cool especially when you have kids or are worried about getting "jacked".? (That's LA speak for some thug jumping in your car at a stop light and physically stealing your car).? ?

Why don't the doors unlock after the car is turned off?? Sounds simple enough, autolocking but no autounlocking?

2)? Why do I have to turn the fog lights on each time?? If I turn them on, why don't they come on when the lights come on automatically?

3)? I know it's been said before but what gives with the cup holders?? Every other car on the face of the planet has way too many cup holders for all sizes of beverages.? Why can't BMW give us one or two that actually work?? ? As a side note what's up with the no wine glass warning?? I don't think that I've ever been inclined to bring along my fine waterford crystal goblets on a sunday drive.? ? :'(

4)? The trunk is simply too hard to close and doesn't have a handle to assist in closing it.? My previous vehicle (Lexus) had a nice handle inside the trunk which could be used to close it without touching the paint.? Why risk scratching the paint?

5)? Front license plate.....my dealer drilled a couple of holes in the front bumper to install the mounting bracket.? ? I know that some of you where able to stop the mutilation before it occured, but now I am stuck with two ugly looking holes.?

6)? Phone Charger.....the last car had a cig lighter in the center console which could be used to charge the cell phone.? I got to believe that nearly every buyer of this car has a need to charge their cell phone once in a while.? Why not add a simple adapter in the ventilated center storage console?
[snapback]80162[/snapback]
Old 01-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Members

I'm sure the Germans just can't stomach the idea of a cupholder large enough for a Super Big Gulp.....in fact I can just hear the BMW engineers now: "Look here Deter, I made zee cup holdah only big enuff for zee grande latte....ha ha ha'"

The trunk closing thing is cool but it takes skill....check out the video that should have come with your car. (CD or DVD maybe).

Sidebar: since I got my new E60:

A. I never go to the carwash like my last BMW....I now handwash only.

B. I always open the doors with my empty hand (not the hand holding my keychain) My old 330 had tons of scratches in the clearcoat behind the door pull and it drove me nuts.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

They are CUPholders, not bucket holders.

Works fine with European sized cups.

In some countries the name "wingnut" does fit with the questions about fog lights.

As for the door locking thing. I don't like it either. Maybe iDrive needs a "wingnut" mode, for the fog lights. And an "I don't live in LA" mode for the door locking.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, wingnut ! i'm not going to duplicate what other guys have already said .
Old 01-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Senior Members

If they f'ed up your bumper like they did mine with the license plate holder, then check out http://www.bumperplugs.com . They hae them to match your car's finish, and while slightly pricey, they get the job done nicely and professionally.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Titanium Silver / Black :: Sport/Appearance

1) Hormazd...thanks for the tip on the adapter under the glove box.

2) DFNDR...I found the handles for the rear decklid; thanks, however, when my 10 year old son (who is manly enough to play american football middle linebacker) can't close the trunk after removing his gear...there is a problem.

3) I see both sides of the auto-unlock argument....why not implement as an optional software feature? Hell my $30K Chevy Does this and my wife never complained about the safety impact.

4) evperry...call me a dweeb, however, I like the fog/driving lights on. I guess the saying "All hat, no cattle" applies to me.

5) drjbmw...Irvine BMW hacked the front bumper by installing the bracket. I understand front plates are a requirement in CA, however, my Lexus dealer thought enough to give me the option of installing it before drilling into the bumper.

6) GER 545SMG..I'll check out the bumper plugs. Thanks for the tip.

I won't even respond to the comments regarding the non Big Gulp friendly cupholders. All I want to do is carry a bottle of water in the stupid things without it falling onto the lap of my passenger.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wingnut' date='Jan 17 2005, 10:23 PM
1)? I have autolocking enabled which is cool especially when you have kids or are worried about getting "jacked".? (That's LA speak for some thug jumping in your car at a stop light and physically stealing your car).? ??

[snapback]80162[/snapback]
Autounlocking feature when car is turned off does does exist as it works on my car. The feature is just not available on US spec cars, probably due to some laws in place. Good example of another missing feature is the closing of windows and folding mirrors by remote.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

5 months in and my gripes......have become muted.....I just can't help grin every time I drive this car. I love it. I mean come on....I actually look foward to washing and waxing it. However, my 2 cents worth on the cup holders.....the two "original equipment" cup holders both worked great, until they broke, and decided to remain in the extended position. The replacement cup holders have the cup/can "auto-eject" feature which is irritating at best, messy at worst. I think I just read that the dealers should have a fix for this related to the spring, so I'll give that a try next time I'm in.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Wingnut' date='Jan 18 2005, 11:41 PM
I like the fog/driving lights on.
[snapback]80524[/snapback]
FOR WHAT REASON?

You like to annoy others, huh?

Quick Reply: My 530i - 2 Weeks In - My Gripes