E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 530i - 2 Weeks In - My Gripes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i - Titanium Silver / Black :: Sport/Appearance

Now that a couple of weeks and 500 miles have gone by, I thought I'd post my list of gripes on this unbelievable machine. The good news is that the care is awesome and most of what I have issue with can likely be fixed with upgraded software or some minor tweaking. Let's just hope someone from BMWNA reads these boards and actually gets these items on someone's list.

1) I have autolocking enabled which is cool especially when you have kids or are worried about getting "jacked". (That's LA speak for some thug jumping in your car at a stop light and physically stealing your car).

Why don't the doors unlock after the car is turned off? Sounds simple enough, autolocking but no autounlocking?

2) Why do I have to turn the fog lights on each time? If I turn them on, why don't they come on when the lights come on automatically?

3) I know it's been said before but what gives with the cup holders? Every other car on the face of the planet has way too many cup holders for all sizes of beverages. Why can't BMW give us one or two that actually work? As a side note what's up with the no wine glass warning? I don't think that I've ever been inclined to bring along my fine waterford crystal goblets on a sunday drive. :'(

4) The trunk is simply too hard to close and doesn't have a handle to assist in closing it. My previous vehicle (Lexus) had a nice handle inside the trunk which could be used to close it without touching the paint. Why risk scratching the paint?

5) Front license plate.....my dealer drilled a couple of holes in the front bumper to install the mounting bracket. I know that some of you where able to stop the mutilation before it occured, but now I am stuck with two ugly looking holes.

6) Phone Charger.....the last car had a cig lighter in the center console which could be used to charge the cell phone. I got to believe that nearly every buyer of this car has a need to charge their cell phone once in a while. Why not add a simple adapter in the ventilated center storage console?
Old 01-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Originally Posted by Wingnut' date='Jan 17 2005, 06:23 PM
Now that a couple of weeks and 500 miles have gone by, I thought I'd post my list of gripes on this unbelievable machine.? The good news is that the care is awesome and most of what I have issue with can likely be fixed with upgraded software or some minor tweaking.? Let's just hope someone from BMWNA reads these boards and actually gets these items on someone's list.

1)? I have autolocking enabled which is cool especially when you have kids or are worried about getting "jacked".? (That's LA speak for some thug jumping in your car at a stop light and physically stealing your car).? ?

Why don't the doors unlock after the car is turned off?? Sounds simple enough, autolocking but no autounlocking?

2)? Why do I have to turn the fog lights on each time?? If I turn them on, why don't they come on when the lights come on automatically?

3)? I know it's been said before but what gives with the cup holders?? Every other car on the face of the planet has way too many cup holders for all sizes of beverages.? Why can't BMW give us one or two that actually work?? ? As a side note what's up with the no wine glass warning?? I don't think that I've ever been inclined to bring along my fine waterford crystal goblets on a sunday drive.? ? :'(

4)? The trunk is simply too hard to close and doesn't have a handle to assist in closing it.? My previous vehicle (Lexus) had a nice handle inside the trunk which could be used to close it without touching the paint.? Why risk scratching the paint?

5)? Front license plate.....my dealer drilled a couple of holes in the front bumper to install the mounting bracket.? ? I know that some of you where able to stop the mutilation before it occured, but now I am stuck with two ugly looking holes.?

6)? Phone Charger.....the last car had a cig lighter in the center console which could be used to charge the cell phone.? I got to believe that nearly every buyer of this car has a need to charge their cell phone once in a while.? Why not add a simple adapter in the ventilated center storage console?
[snapback]80162[/snapback]
Your car has handles in the trunk. Take another look. Using them takes some practice.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Wingnut' date='Jan 17 2005, 06:23 PM
Now that a couple of weeks and 500 miles have gone by, I thought I'd post my list of gripes on this unbelievable machine.? The good news is that the care is awesome and most of what I have issue with can likely be fixed with upgraded software or some minor tweaking.? Let's just hope someone from BMWNA reads these boards and actually gets these items on someone's list.

1)? I have autolocking enabled which is cool especially when you have kids or are worried about getting "jacked".? (That's LA speak for some thug jumping in your car at a stop light and physically stealing your car).? ?

Why don't the doors unlock after the car is turned off?? Sounds simple enough, autolocking but no autounlocking?
I wondered the same thing. Why not have an unlock feature when you put the car in P or when you turn off the car? Seems easy to do.

2)? Why do I have to turn the fog lights on each time?? If I turn them on, why don't they come on when the lights come on automatically?
Because Iceman has had a word with BMW

3)? I know it's been said before but what gives with the cup holders?? Every other car on the face of the planet has way too many cup holders for all sizes of beverages.? Why can't BMW give us one or two that actually work?? ? As a side note what's up with the no wine glass warning?? I don't think that I've ever been inclined to bring along my fine waterford crystal goblets on a sunday drive.? ? :'(
Hey, BMWs are more for smoking in than drinking European vs. American mentality! I think it really is to save space. With iDrive in the center console, there is no room for cupholders. The Audi A4 has crappier ones if that makes you feel better.

4)? The trunk is simply too hard to close and doesn't have a handle to assist in closing it.? My previous vehicle (Lexus) had a nice handle inside the trunk which could be used to close it without touching the paint.? Why risk scratching the paint?
On another note, why doesn't the E60 tell you visually if one of the 4 doors or the trunk is not fully closed? Seems every car has this feature.

5)? Front license plate.....my dealer drilled a couple of holes in the front bumper to install the mounting bracket.? ? I know that some of you where able to stop the mutilation before it occured, but now I am stuck with two ugly looking holes.?
Hmm. My dealer didn't drill any holes. The holes for the plate bracket are underneath the bumper. I could just remove it.

6)? Phone Charger.....the last car had a cig lighter in the center console which could be used to charge the cell phone.? I got to believe that nearly every buyer of this car has a need to charge their cell phone once in a while.? Why not add a simple adapter in the ventilated center storage console?
[snapback]80162[/snapback]
Isn't that for storing your beer?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

Welcome aboard, Wingnut !

1)

2) You should add wipers, seat heaters, last I-drive screen to the list
Old 01-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Rather than using the cig-ligher in the dash from my phone and FM modulator, I use the cig-lighters in the back seat. It works great and I can hid the cords between the seat and the council.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

I wish the E60 could have the automatic trunk closer like the E65 that would be neat... but I don't have any probblem closing it myself.... the foglights? bmw has never (That I can think of) had automatic foglights.. due to the reason they are ment for fog purposes and not show (though I wish they did )... now for unlocking when cars turned off.. I don't know of mayn cars that unlock when you turn them off but if your refering to having to double pull the door to get out its due to a saftey feature...
Old 01-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

There is a DC outlet under the glove box, and two in the rear console. That takes care of all the devices I need to charge.

There is a fix for the cupholders. Your dealer should have instructions for filing down one of the springs to stop the coke can from ejecting.

Auto unlocking would defeat the purpose of locking. Your wife turns off the engine in a parked car and notices a shady character hanging around. Why would you want the car unlocked? A pull on the handle of each door will unlock it. My 6 year old has figured that out.

Enjoy the rest of the car. <_<
Old 01-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

Weird initial complaints, Wingnut. Don't want to worry you, but just wait until the other stuff starts breaking.

P.S.: At some point, you'll think the cupholders are cool.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Members

I read this post and I cant stop thinking you gotta be kidding me.

Certainly we all have things specific to what we want and need in a car but I personally dont expect a car maker to match me personally.

The cup holders are excellent in their design IMO, people who get in the car love them.

The foglight - Its just a button to push to turn them on.

There are 3 power sources within the car.

Front license plates are required in many, if not most states in the US.

And with the trunk, I have never had a tough time closing it and quite frankly would not expect that as an option on a mid-luxury sedan.

Now dont take me for a "BMW can do no wrong" type of guy that tends to frequent bulletin boards because I can assure you that after owning 3 BMW's thus far this is the ONLY one that I am relatively satisfied with, thus far.

I expect my BMW to drive like hell and not have to go back to the repair shop too often, thats about it.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Members

My Ride: COMING!! 2006 M5 - December build - January delivery. 2004 530i - Silver Gray Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Premium Sound Pkg; Cold Weather Pkg; Steptronic; Comfort Seats; Glass Moonroof; Rear Side Airbags; Adaptive Bi-xenon; Euro Rear Reflectors - Delivered 12/3/03 2003 M3 - Carbon Black Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Park Distance Control; Xenon; Hardon-Kardon; Alum Int. Trim; SMG - Delivered 2/17/03

Originally Posted by evperry' date='Jan 17 2005, 11:17 PM
I read this post and I cant stop thinking you gotta be kidding me.

Certainly we all have things specific to what we want and need in a car but I personally dont expect a car maker to match me personally.?

The cup holders are excellent in their design IMO, people who get in the car love them.

The foglight -? Its just a button to push to turn them on.

There are 3 power sources within the car.

Front license plates are required in many, if not most states in the US.

And? with the trunk, I have never had a tough time closing it and quite frankly would not expect that as an option on a mid-luxury sedan.?

Now dont take me for a "BMW can do no wrong" type of guy that tends to frequent bulletin boards because I can assure you that after owning 3 BMW's thus far this is the ONLY one that I am relatively satisfied with, thus far.?

I expect my BMW to drive like hell and not have to go back to the repair shop too often, thats about it.
[snapback]80270[/snapback]
INSIDE the truck lid - on each side of the license plate are recesses that are to be used as pull-downs for closing the trunk. A bit tricky to use at first, but no paint scratches.

Quick Reply: My 530i - 2 Weeks In - My Gripes